rim tape

trustafox
trustafox Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I might seem bit of a nube here!
I bought a pair of Ritchey rim tapes for 26 inch (blue 20 mm).
Firstly which way do they go on, logo side out or towards the spokes?

My main question is, are they meant to be longer than the circumference of the wheel? Mine have excess which I needed to fold so that they fit the wheel. I checked packaging and 26 is ticked.
I've been used to rubber ones that stretch over.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Rim strip or rim tape? If its just a length of tape then it should be self adhesive and you wrap it around, but if its a loop like I think you mean then youve been sent the wrong one. They should be a very tight fit as youve had with the rubber ones. Logo goes outwards
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Can you post a link to the product?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Generally rim tape goes logo side out..... no point having your fancy logo on otherwise!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have no rim tape then a couple of wraps of insulation tape will do.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I don't bother with fancy stuff. I use Gorilla Tape, available from any DIY store. I prefer the 25 mm wide shiny black woven finish because it looks like carbon fibre! Two layers are required. If your internal rim width is wider than 25 mm, then put one stripe to the left and one stripe to the right. Overlap each strip by 4" centering on the valve hole.

The use of Gorilla Tape was recommended to me by the workshop guys at Sherwood Pines bike shop. Brilliant stuff! When I by a new bike the first thing I do is to go tubeless and I have twice found it necessary to replace faulty rim tape. So now I don't bother waiting to find out, I just bin it replace with Gorilla Tape.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steve, you're assuming the OP is going tubeless, and we know what assume makes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Do you mean the 'snap-on' rim strip?
    If so, they should be a tight fit.
    Measure the one you have to confirm the length.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    no reason you cant use gorrilla / tubeless tape for inner tubes too
  • trustafox
    BillyCool wrote:
    Can you post a link to the product?

Link as requested. https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/rim-tape
  • trustafox
    The Rookie wrote:

Hi Steve, you assumed correctly! I wasn't going tubeless. I have a retro set of rims and don't know if tubeless would fit/work, I've not looked at that route.

I actually need to order some tires and tubes, but if tubless did work I'd look into it.
  • steve_sordy
    The Rookie wrote:

Genuine question here, as I'm always willing to learn (ohhhhh yes I am!) :lol:

Why does it matter? Gorilla Tape is very cheap, looks great and it will do double duty. It will protect an inner tube from the spoke holes and also serve when/if the OP decides to go tubeless.
  • trustafox
    It will protect an inner tube from the spoke holes and also serve when/if the OP decides to go tubeless.

I don't know if my rims can go tubeless. Mavic 217 SUP.
  • trustafox
    lemonenema wrote:
    Rim strip or rim tape? If its just a length of tape then it should be self adhesive and you wrap it around, but if its a loop like I think you mean then youve been sent the wrong one. They should be a very tight fit as youve had with the rubber ones. Logo goes outwards

I had expected them to fit tight. I added a link to them above. They call them tape. If it was adhesive I'd not have expected it to be a complete loop.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Sounds like you have the 29" version. Can you measure them? Stretch one out into a flat strip and then double it to get the diameter.

A 29"/700c wheel has a diameter of 622mm. A 26" wheel has a diameter of 559mm. I'd expect the rim strip to be a bit smaller to make it stretch tightly over, but those numbers will be roughly right.
  • steve_sordy
    This Mavic info might be of interest:

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/so ... TBRims.pdf

I can see no reason why the rims could not go tubeless. External rim width is 22, so the 25mm wide Gorilla Tape, might be too wide without trimming (not a task I'd like to do). But the rim bed is deep, so it may fit. Mavic recommend a variety of widths of rim tape depending upon what its made from.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    This Mavic info might be of interest:

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/so ... TBRims.pdf

I can see no reason why the rims could not go tubeless. External rim width is 22, so the 25mm wide Gorilla Tape, might be too wide without trimming (not a task I'd like to do). But the rim bed is deep, so it may fit. Mavic recommend a variety of widths of rim tape depending upon what its made from.

If youre going to trim the gorrilla tape do it whilst its still on the roll by cutting a line a few layers deep all the way round then peel off, apply and pull the trimmed bit off as you go. Hey presto job jobbed
  • Gorilla tape is good but I think Tesa 4289 tape is better, comes off with a lot less mess.
  • steve_sordy
    Gorilla tape is good but I think Tesa 4289 tape is better, comes off with a lot less mess.

And it's also about 4x the price.
  • Tesa 25mm is £12 for 66 meters.

£12 gets you 90 meters of Gorilla 25mm, about 30% more. (Local shop does gorilla for £2.50)