Tool kits/All in one types

G0ldengirl
G0ldengirl Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Women's cycling forum
Hello all,

I am new here, and going back into bicycling but have only been a casual bicyclist over the years. I am 66 now and have stayed in good shape but of course I'll have my struggles getting used to a bicycle again.

I bought one that I could afford, a Kent Women's Hybrid, and have assembled it. I have taken my time and so happy to learn so much in the assembly. I know I still have plenty to learn about my bike.

I haven't written a biography yet, but I am in kind of a hurry to got out for a trial run which I have a lot of residential I will be riding in (super small town, little to no traffic where I ride. I need to carry some tools, but I would love to find a good, all-in-one type, or at least a a kit that doesn't weight a lot.

I have tools at home of course, but putting together just the ones I need to carry so I can adjust brakes mainly.

So any recommends for tools/kit would be appreciated?? I would be only riding at the most, 16 miles, give or take, round-trip.

I did look at Walmart, and a little online both theirs, and Amazon so far, but I would love feedback on what to get from women that have gone before me,

Thank you much, in advance :)

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    unfortunately there are either no other women users, or none that are willing to reply.
    Are you willing to accept suggestions from men or are you aversed to that idea?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I fail the gender test, but hey ho.

I have a Crank Bros multitool which comes in a little tin. Saved me a couple of times when things have come loose or needed adjusting out on the road. Think it's this one. No idea if the chain tool would be up to breaking a 10 speed chain though

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cra ... 1sQAvD_BwE

I also carry a puncture kit and a spare tube. Pump is permanently attached to the bike. Oh, and some spare missing links in case I do have to fix a broken chain.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    A reliable pump or Schwalbe Marathon tyres. A spare tube, a set of hex keys. A chain tool and a couple of links suitable for the chain. Also the ability to use it. You wont ever need it if you have it. Disposable gloves to keep your hands clean.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh I'd not bother with multi tools. Get separate stuff. Then you can actually use the Allen key in fiddly places.

So Allen key set. Flat blade /Phillips screwdriver combo. Tyre levers. Spare tube. Pump. tweezers to remove objects from punctured tyres.
    Spare chain link and chain tool.

Sorted.

Have fun.
  • I'm probably going to regret saying this but I don't usually carry anything other than the stuff I need to deal with a puncture.

As has already been said you need to something to remove the object from the tyre carcass that caused the original puncture. I carry a needle nose pair of tweezers and a duckbill pair of tweezers, tyre levers, puncture kit and a spare inner tube, plus a pair of latex disposable gloves and some industrial tissue to clean myself up if required. That's about it.

I'll always try my best to repair the inner tube at the side of the road rather than simply swapping it for the new one. A new inner tube takes up very little space on my bike but once an inner tube has been inflated they are hard to stash away and if you get a second puncture that's much worse than the first one you'll regret having used the new inner tube.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Couple of miles into a ride my son realised why his bike felt funny. His GF had been the last to ride it and he'd dropped the saddle quite a bit for her. 2 minutes with the multitool and his normal saddle height was restored. Better than having to go home to do it. Then halfway through a 60 mile charity ride my FD cable detached itself from the mech clamp bolt, which wouldn't have been so bad except it's a triple so it left me with a 30t chainring. Again a couple of minutes with the tool and I was back to having a full set of gears.

Only ride I've ever cut short because of a mechanical was when the RD cable frayed and broke inside the shifter. I'm not going to start carrying spare gear cables on day rides; I'll just keep a better eye on the things and not ignore it when shifting starts to deteriorate.