vinyl wrapping

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hi, having been quoted about £350 for a carbon fibre frame respray i was wondering about vinyl wraping like they doo with cars. The frame is sound and no chips, but i fancy a change and dont really need new bike, has anyone heard of or seen this done?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited July 2019
    Where would the edges go though...........?

With a car, they can tuck them in around the end of the panels, you don't really get that anywhere on a bike do you - underside of the downtube is as close as it gets, but most places will be pretty visible, and collect dirt would be my guess.

You'd also have a load of 90 degree or more bends to get around, where as car panels are in the main pretty flat and consistent.

Having said all that, I put some smallish sections of vinyl wrap on my winter bike to get the colour scheme I wanted, applied with a hair dryer, and is still looking fine - I ensured the seems finished underneath on the top tube, and on the inside of the rear stays and forks, BUT they are just maybe 8-10 inch long sections, and no bends involved - not that I am a vinyl fitting expert by any means :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No, it won’t work for the reasons mentioned above - nowhere to wrap your edges plus how the hell would you wrap something like the seat tube/ seat stay junctions?

£350 is not overly expensive for a respray of a carbon bike frame. If your budget doesn’t stretch to that then I think yo7 are going to be stuck with scuffed/ scratched paintwork.

PP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,175
    It's interesting someone would pay over the odds to have a 900 grams frame, but would be prepared to double its weight wrapping it in plastic...
    left the forum March 2023
  • shiznit76
    It's interesting someone would pay over the odds to have a 900 grams frame, but would be prepared to double its weight wrapping it in plastic...

Double it's weight? It's 0.6mm thick vinyl, be lucky if adds 200g grams to the frame. And if i am that concerned about adding 200g I'd be best to just take a laxative.

Other posters, thanks for info, was just something i was floating out there. It is to cover some naff decals really so the poster who did it to cover small sections might be the way I'd go
  • ugo.santalucia
    shiznit76 wrote:

Double it's weight? It's 0.6mm thick vinyl, be lucky if adds 200g grams to the frame. And if i am that concerned about adding 200g I'd be best to just take a laxative.

Other posters, thanks for info, was just something i was floating out there. It is to cover some naff decals really so the poster who did it to cover small sections might be the way I'd go

If you add 200 grams to a grand worth of frame (which is at the low end of carbon frames price), it will end up weighing the same as a 300 quid aluminium frame... it's your call, but it seems an odd thing to do
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    If you don't mind a bit of DIY check out Spray,Bike.
    https://spray.bike/
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Just just just why?
    Dipping is cheap and amazing looking but a bit 2015.
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Er... £350................ DIY
  • shiznit76
    oxoman wrote:
    Can't say I've come across a whole bike being done. How about an alternative like hydro dipping or carbon dipping.
    https://vitalhydrographic.co.uk

Doesnt say they can actually do this to carbon fibre material
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Midnight wrote:

this.

sunny weather
    long weekend
    rattle cans
    time and patience
    beer

#success
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shiznit76
    Midnight wrote:

this.

sunny weather
    long weekend
    rattle cans
    time and patience
    beer

#success

haha, that sounds best plan
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Midnight wrote:

this.

sunny weather
    long weekend
    rattle cans
    time and patience
    beer

#success

haha, that sounds best plan

its worth a go - whats the worse that can happen - it looks tat so you get it done by a shop anyway?

take your time and its actually not too bad to get a good finish.

#individual
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I tried to spray paint an old frame with rattle cans... it turned out a lot worse than I ever thought possible... I wouldn't attempt it on anything worth more than a tenner
  • The Cervelo R5 Spring Classics edition was a vinyl wrap. The blurb at Sigma Sports' website suggests a paintjob, but having enquired a while back with another retailer who was selling a non-disc version, it's a wrap.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervel ... meset/J18E
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Midnight wrote:

this.

sunny weather
    long weekend
    rattle cans
    time and patience
    beer

#success

Without some experience/expertise the chances of you getting a half decent result are slim and sunny weekends are best spent on your bike. We don't get many so don't waste one breathing paint fumes in your shed.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    lesfirth wrote:
    Midnight wrote:

this.

sunny weather
    long weekend
    rattle cans
    time and patience
    beer

#success

Without some experience/expertise the chances of you getting a half decent result are slim and sunny weekends are best spent on your bike. We don't get many so don't waste one breathing paint fumes in your shed.

save it for winter when the riding sucks and the light is low enough that the resultant mess isnt as obvious. Ride your bike and never clean it again. :)

or ask santa for a good sized compressor and a paint gun. and do it properly.
  • 45gallon drum full of water and a few swirls of paint on top. Dip the frame, job done. Plenty of random videos showing how to do it.