Compatibility. CS6000, chain 6701, 105 rear mech, tiagra shifters

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi all.

Long time wasn't here so gentle what's up to everyone.

Issue: not precise work of rear mech 105.

Drivetrain: tiagra shifters, chain ultegra 6701, cassette cs6600, rear mech 105.

What could be the problem here?

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    denispearl wrote:
    Hi all.

Long time wasn't here so gentle what's up to everyone.

Issue: not precise work of rear mech 105.

Drivetrain: tiagra shifters, chain ultegra 6701, cassette cs6600, rear mech 105.

What could be the problem here?

Thanks

Need to be a bit more precise. Which version of Tiagra shifters are you using and which version of 105 rear mech. There are known incompatibilities between Tiagra shifters and some other series components due to differing pull ratios.

Answers to the above questions might provide a clue to your problems
  • denispearl
    Thanks.
    So the rear mech is:
    Shimano 105 RD-
    5701 Rear
    Derailleur Black
    Short Cage Max
    30T

Shifters are Shimano Tiagra 4600

The actual bike is here https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV193038

Do you like the bike btw? Worth keeping?
  • arlowood
    According to an old Shimano Road Component Compatibility pdf, your 4600 shifters and the 5700 rear mech should be fine together.

What problems exactly are you experiencing. If you describe those it might help with a diagnosis.

CAAD8 is fine. Worth keeping if you enjoy riding it
  • denispearl
    arlowood wrote:
    According to an old Shimano Road Component Compatibility pdf, your 4600 shifters and the 5700 rear mech should be fine together.

What problems exactly are you experiencing. If you describe those it might help with a diagnosis.

CAAD8 is fine. Worth keeping if you enjoy riding it

Thanks.
    I actually feel unconformable after 4 hours of riding on this, so thinking about booking BMC SLR02 and selling caad.

The issues im having are all around smooth shifting, which isnt there. Its not possible to set up the gears shifting 1 buy 1. I do have to shift trigger sometimes twice in order to get red of odd noise, but the gear wont change as result of this. To me it feels somehow like there is 1 more extra gear on the cassette. This is not the case of course, but this how it feels.

Ive forgotten what it smoothness is like indeed.

Thanks for help.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Bent derailleur would do this. Can happen quite easily as a result of even minor fall or drop.
    Check whether jockey wheels are parallel with cogs visually, or better use a hanger tool. Straighten or replace hanger if needed.
  • denispearl
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Bent derailleur would do this. Can happen quite easily as a result of even minor fall or drop.
    Check whether jockey wheels are parallel with cogs visually, or better use a hanger tool. Straighten or replace hanger if needed.
    Thanks. I think it straight Just checked. Iam a bit weary about the mech hanger tho. It looks straight to me tho
  • arlowood
    denispearl wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Thanks. I think it straight Just checked. Iam a bit weary about the mech hanger tho. It looks straight to me tho

It's difficult to detect a bent derailleur just by looking. You need to get it checked with a proper alignment tool. Your LBS should be able to do it for a few quid.

The other thought that comes to mind is a frayed inner cable or some other factor that is interfering with the smooth running of the shifting cable. One option would be to check the inside of your rear shifter to see if there is any damage to the cable. Also it might just be worth swapping out the existing inner and outer cable for the rear derailleur just to eliminate that from the equation
  • denispearl
    arlowood wrote:
    denispearl wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

It's difficult to detect a bent derailleur just by looking. You need to get it checked with a proper alignment tool. Your LBS should be able to do it for a few quid.

The other thought that comes to mind is a frayed inner cable or some other factor that is interfering with the smooth running of the shifting cable. One option would be to check the inside of your rear shifter to see if there is any damage to the cable. Also it might just be worth swapping out the existing inner and outer cable for the rear derailleur just to eliminate that from the equation
    thanks. Have change cables not so long ago. Remember having that problem afterwards and before. Wil need to check the shifter tho. Many thanks!)