Sportive

rs6mra1
rs6mra1 Posts: 105
edited July 2019 in Road general
I want to take part in an upcoming sportive but only the short and medium routes are available. I'll have to settle for the medium but prefer the long. I just can't figure out why this is kinda sold out and it was the same price when available as the medium
In my experience I have seen guys sign up for the long and settle for the medium during the event. I can't imagine many would do the reverse
Can anyone shed some light of this?
I contacted the organizers for the sake of it but got an email back directing me to a charity in order to do the long distance.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its kinda sold out because people want to kinda do the long route.

why don't you do the medium then just take off your number and carry on.

or just do the long route on another day?

sportive-ing
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I have seen guys sign up for the long and settle for the medium during the event. 
    Well why not sign up for the medium and then do the long? It's very easy to miss one of those little arrows.....if you just have a moment's inattention.

Alternatively ride it on a non event day, or even on the same day but just don't set off with the bunch. No one can stop you riding the roads.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm guessing more will sign up for the long and then bail and do the medium than the reverse. So sign up for the medium and do the long. Just don't expect to finish in the top 10 :D
  • If you go on a day when it isn't a sportive it is also free!!

#can'tunderstandpeoplepayingtorideabike
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    I'd be cautious about trying to manipulate the system.
    You could end up being banned from taking part in any future sportives.
    Your sportive sporting competition racing career is kept on file by the Association of Racing Sportives & Events.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • I'd be cautious about trying to manipulate the system.
    Your sportive sporting competition racing career is kept on file by the Association of Racing Sportives & Events.
    What a load of ****
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I'd be cautious about trying to manipulate the system.
    What a load of ****
    I think he may have been taking the wee wee
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    He's not joking, the ARSE is a real organisation :)
  • OOPS. Missed that. Sorry!
  • Mind you a set up like ARSE might be a good idea.
    I went on a Sportive on Sunday. First lady home was feted with praise, free beer etc. Checked later on Strava and she'd missed out great chunks of the route. I know....it's not a race, so why did she cheat and then stay silent?
    Was on my local roads so I knew all the short cuts; I could have cheated but didn't. I'm a good boy, and besides I didn't want some a-hole like me looking up my Strava track!!!
  • rs6mra1
    The sportive is 3+ hours from where I live.
    I'm hoping to combine the trip with another function. Besides cycling 100 miles solo is fun but I know I'll enjoy it better as an organized ride
    I suppose I could still do the long route as I don't think I'm taking anything away from the organizers as it's the same price as the medium. All I ever need from the feed station is water and a comfort break.
    Thanks for your input as I thought I might be missing something.
  • Matthewfalle
    edward.s wrote:
    He's not joking, the ars* is a real organisation :)

seriously? so there is an organisation to track people doing fun rides?

is this what it has come to?

#ridiculous

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Cyclist have the right to be ripped off and they are welcome to give me £20 to ride down my street.

Cyclists used to plan rides now they book them.
  • john1967 wrote:
    Cyclist have the right to be ripped off and they are welcome to give me £20 to ride down my street.

Cyclists used to plan rides now they book them.
    Yes but cyclists can no longer read a map so they can't plan rides. They can follow yellow arrows on lampposts.......until they miss one...but they never have any idea where they are, how they got there, or where they are going next.

They all have fancy computers that have breadcrumb tracks, but they still have no idea of location or how to get from A to B.

Set against that paying £20 is cheap. Even though no one has any money due to government cuts!!!

I wonder how many on here could accurately find a six figure map reference?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    rs6mra1 wrote:

Blimey. You're driving 6 hours plus to ride your bike ? Must be a spectacular route ? Why not ride the distance from home and give yourself six hours back ?
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    rs6mra1 wrote:

Blimey. You're driving 6 hours plus to ride your bike ? Must be a spectacular route ? Why not ride the distance from home and give yourself six hours back ?

this.

this is getting more bizarre.

will you do be doing "thumbs up" pics in slightly baggy spandex or going for the "serious racer" look?

#oneforthealbum

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Ive only ever seen it matter which distance you signed up to in terms of which certificate they award you at the end, if you dont mind getting the medium, for doing the long, what difference does it make, plenty of people often end up taking the wrong route, the numbers thing is usually just about making sure the feed stations have enough, but Ive done sportives where theyd run out of stuff at the first one which should have had the most as everyone was hitting that, but as you progressed around each food station had progressively more food...charged £25 quid for that too, but 3+ drive to it and 3hrs home when youll be knackered and worn out, your choice but bear in mind how youll feel when you finish, you might not be in the best state to drive anywhere.
  • rs6mra1
    Yes, 3+ hours drive to where the sportive will talk place and back but what you missed was that I'll be doing other stuff in that neck of the woods that weekend. Hence the reason for me wanting to do the sportive.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    cougie wrote:
    rs6mra1 wrote:

People actually go on planes to go on cycling holidays too. Crazy isn't it? Why not just stay home and go on Zwift instead?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Peat wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    rs6mra1 wrote:

People actually go on planes to go on cycling holidays too. Crazy isn't it? Why not just stay home and go on Zwift instead?

Good point. Well made.
  • Matthewfalle
    awavey wrote:
    Ive only ever seen it matter which distance you signed up to in terms of which certificate they award you at the end, if you dont mind getting the medium, for doing the long, what difference does it make, plenty of people often end up taking the wrong route, the numbers thing is usually just about making sure the feed stations have enough, but Ive done sportives where theyd run out of stuff at the first one which should have had the most as everyone was hitting that, but as you progressed around each food station had progressively more food...charged £25 quid for that too, but 3+ drive to it and 3hrs home when youll be knackered and worn out, your choice but bear in mind how youll feel when you finish, you might not be in the best state to drive anywhere.

certificate at the end? does anyone actually keep them, let alone display them?

i presume that there are some clubbies who do, however tbh anything like that generally gets given to the first bin, or in the case of a "medal", child one of the MFs sees.

same as all the tat from the T de F caravan. Collect it, find child with scrummy mummy, hand it all over.

#ihaveenoughtatinmylife

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    You do know that AR se bends over backwards to make these certificates in tubes for ease?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I struggle with the sportive concept myself, but each to their own. Some people don’t enjoy the planning of a ride, pouring over OS maps and researching the best roads and views to put together a spectacular route. Some of us old crusties get almost as much fun out of doing that as actually riding the route!

I personally can’t think of anything worse than having a great route spoilt by having hundreds, if not thousands of other cyclists all over the road in front of me, some of whom have never ridden in a group before, let alone learnt any cycling etiquette. And as for those treating it as a race... :roll:

But, if it gets more people out on bikes and they enjoy that kind of ‘easy option’ laid on for a price then great, good luck to them. As for getting a certificate or medal, well, when I helped organise a charity sportive we gave out a commemorative mug to those who completed - much better and more practical, will get extensive use until the handle breaks off or it gets chipped and is more likely to be a conversation starter with family and friends and they probably won’t take the piss out of you if you have it on display in your crockery cupboard!

PP
  • You do know that AR se bends over backwards to make these certificates in tubes for ease?

Think Frank Wilson got banned for less inuendo than that.
  • You do know that AR se bends over backwards to make these certificates in tubes for ease?

Think Frank Wilson got banned for less inuendo than that.
    Max Wall certainly did!!!
  • I knew a guy once who booked a sportive somewhere in the Cotswolds and also booked a Premier Inn near the start/finish line. He lined up for the start, rode straight back to his hotel room, put his feet up for a few hours then popped back out over the finish line and got his medal! True story!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I knew a guy once who booked a sportive somewhere in the Cotswolds and also booked a Premier Inn near the start/finish line. He lined up for the start, rode straight back to his hotel room, put his feet up for a few hours then popped back out over the finish line and got his medal! True story!

I suspect he was having an affair then. Quite a clever cover really as he had the medal to ‘prove’ his participation whilst riding bucking bronco in a cheap hotel room! Did he go for the 30miler, 65 or the century option? :shock:

PP