Stef Clement vs Bouhanni

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Trouble brewing? Not sure of the full story> Some defamatory remarks that haven't gone down well?

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Trouble brewing? Not sure of the full story> Some defamatory remarks that haven't gone down well?

Link?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    La Flamme Rouge
    @laflammerouge16
    ·
    1h
    Stef Clement said at NOS that Nacer Bouhanni made his team "pork free" because of his religious belief. He also did not allow any women to work at Cofidis on days he was racing
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    But then
    Stef
    @Stefclement
    ·
    42m
    Just to clarify, because once more people with different interests abuse my words. In what I said yesterday about @TeamCOFIDIS
    and @BouhanniNacer
    I made clear it was ‘something I once heard’; a speculation. Do not judge before you check. I appologise for the inconvenience caused.
  • Clements pretty vocal isn't he - he cast big doubts on Roglics Giro win
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Clement is well in the wrong here. His retraction ("I was just repeating something I heard, you should check") manages to paint himself as victim of this, rather than someone who uncritically spread a racist rumour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Clements pretty vocal isn't he - he cast big doubts on Roglics Giro win
    I cast a lot of doubts on it too seeing as he came third
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Magnificent!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Clement is well in the wrong here. His retraction ("I was just repeating something I heard, you should check") manages to paint himself as victim of this, rather than someone who uncritically spread a racist rumour.

It's in the context of them sitting around a table with wine and whiskey and he's just chatting sh!t.

It's only when a lazy journo picks it up, translates the comment and takes it out of context then it becomes 'wrong'.

You could say he shouldn't repeat rumours that he's heard, but the point was that was the rumour he had heard in the peloton.

The way it's delivered gives it the context that it's not a 'massive accusation'.

It's a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.

More generally, I have noticed that a huge part of French and English cycling reporting is having a Dutch speaker watch the Dutch and Belgian coverage and write out the interesting nuggets as news. I've lost count of the amount of times where there will be some documentary where guys are just chatting around the table and 2 days later the new bits have surfaced on cyclingnews or whatever.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i wouldn't be surprised if the cofidis cooks didnt use pork, it cant be easy catering to lots of different diets and as far as im aware even my addiction to a bacon sandwich or two isnt a religious requirement.

Thats not to say id be happy for it to be banned and its not the thin end of the wedge.

This is a nothing story.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Magnificent!

In the second time trial