TDF 2019, Stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 24/07/2019 - Stage 17 - 200 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
TDF 2019, Stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 24/07/2019 - Stage 17 - 200 km

Stage 17 in the Tour de France is a 200 kilometres race from Pont du Gard to Gap. The rolling route serves as warm-up before the ensuing GC challenges in the Alps, while a breakaway is likely to succeed. Long distance attackers often met success in Gap like Jean-François Bernard for his first victory in 1986 or Pierrick Fédrigo twenty years later. After that, finishes in the city crowned a World Champion in 2011, Norway’s Thor Hushovd and two years later, a man who would go on to carry the rainbow jersey, Portuguese rider Rui Costa. For the last visit of the Tour in 2015, the successful breakaway hero Ruben Plaza.

stage-17-route.jpg

abf08

The race sets off near the Pont du Gard. This ancient Roman aquaduct crosses the Gardon River 25 kilometres northeast of Nîmes.

Pont-du-Gard.jpg

The route moves through the Rhône valley and visits the famous Roman Theatre of Orange before entering a sheer endless false flat of 70 kilometres. The slope kicks up a bit on the Côte de La Rochette-du-Buis and, in quick succession, the Col de Mévouillon, before the route reaches an elevation of 883 metres at kilometre 110.5.

tour-de-france-2019-stage-17-climb-256cf688ba.jpg

The Tour de France continues on predominantly flat roads to the foot of the Col de la Sentinelle. The 5.2 kilometres climb at 5.4% is crested inside the last 8.5 kilometres before the riders fly down to the finish line in Gap.

91e57

tour-de-france-2019-stage-17-climb-n2-07433c9d26.jpg

Favourites 17th stage 2019 Tour de France

This transition stage ahead of the three tough days in the Alps runs to Gap. The route is too tough for the sprinters and the GC riders will have other things on their minds, so this race should see a successful breakaway. Following an uneventful opening the route begins to rise in false flat fashion at kilometre 40. Still nothing special though – that is, if you just look at the course. Obviously, the battle to be part of the breakaway will be intense and fun to watch.

Favourites 17th stage 2019 Tour de France

*** Matej Mohoric, Alexey Lutsenko, Magnus Cort, Thomas de Gendt, Greg Van Avermaet
** Tim Wellens, Jasper Stuyven, Pello Bilbao, Oliver Naesen, Matteo Trentin
* Rui Costa, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Daryl Impey, Fabio Felline etc etc etc

Pont du Gard
No previous stage

Roman aqueduct and bridge over the Gardon in Gard

On the route: Cairanne and Rasteau.
Known for the quality of its wine, Cairanne is one of 18 municipalities to have the right to attach its name to the AOC Côtes-du-Rhône-Villages appellation.

cairane.png

Rasteau is a village of vine growers of High Vaucluse perched at 200 metres on a mound between plains and forests. Its houses are spread out at the foot of a beautiful 12th century Romanesque church and the ruins of a 12th century castle overlook the village. It is impossible to leave Rasteau without stopping at the cooperative wine cellar showcasing the wines produced here. You can also visit the museum of winemaking gathering tools, instruments, photographs and documents to explain this traditional passion for vine and good wine.

a5516

The Drôme
My favourite area of France.

c9039

Gap
24 previous stages

Population: 42,600
Since the first victory of the “Belgian locomotive” Jef Demuysere in 1931, Gap frequently hosted the Tour de France, often as a launch-pad towards the summits (Briancon or Alpe d’Huez), but also as a prestigious stage finish. Solo attackers have often done well here, like Jean-François Bernard, who revealed himself in 1986, or Pierrick Fedrigo 20 years later. In 2011 and 2013, Gap celebrated world champions when Thor Hushovd and Rui Costa won stages with the rainbow jersey on their backs. In 1933 already, Georges Speicher had won in Gap wearing the world champion garment. The last time the Tour came to Gap in 2015, it was another solitary escapee, Ruben Plaza, who took the laurels with a 30-seconds lead over Peter Sagan, who collected second places that year.

3fede

Specialties: Tourton du Champsaur (donuts of potatoes and fresh cheese),

81b4d0073c6f434f99a553c0741ef2fb.jpg

donkey ears (fresh pasta gratin with spinach), Ravioles du Champsaur,

b-bodin-le-champ-dor-ravioles-124675-1-1200x675.jpg

salted goat (goat casserole)
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I am on holiday...

Pont-du-Gard.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I would like to retract my earlier weather report from The Alps. It has indeed gone extremely hot again. I went out at about 17.30 today and could hardly breathe rolling along the valley.

The Chamonix weather report has descriptions o heat going hot, very hot, extremely hot, stifling heat and finally torrid heat! They've literally run out of adjectives...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Looks like a stage which will suit Alaphilippe
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Am in the Dordogne. It's 43 today. Hoping for a cool 40 tomorrow.
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver wrote:
    I would like to retract my earlier weather report from The Alps. It has indeed gone extremely hot again. I went out at about 17.30 today and could hardly breathe rolling along the valley.

The Chamonix weather report has descriptions o heat going hot, very hot, extremely hot, stifling heat and finally torrid heat! They've literally run out of adjectives...

Ineos and Quick Step will have a fun time, then. This is the air conditioning units at their hotel in gap.

best-western-hotel-gap.jpg
    hypster wrote:

I wouldn't be in a rush to get to Gap, if I was him. :lol:
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I think they've got more fans than that!
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Currently in Malaucene.....was in Vaison today and going to watch stage tomorrow.....v still, v warm at 22.43.....expecting 40+ at roadside tomorrow. Oh and Jimmy Casper’s in the same hotel.
    http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/photos ... 08_600.jpg
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Is that a picture of the Vaucluse region taken from the Drome region?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    ddraver wrote:

Ineos and Quick Step will have a fun time, then. This is the air conditioning units at their hotel in gap.

best-western-hotel-gap.jpg
    hypster wrote:

I wouldn't be in a rush to get to Gap, if I was him. :lol:
    Pop down to castorama and pick up a portable aircon or ten.
  • The race passes one of my favourite buildings in Provence today at about 122km to go - the resplendent Chapelle de Notre Dame de la Consolation:

pierrelongue-church-of-notre-dame-de-consolation-built-on-a-curiously-B27EDK.jpg

Rumour has it that it was recently on sale for the princely sum of 1 Euro, as long as you were prepared to stump up for the renovations and the structural work necessary*

* this may well be fake news
  • Interesting stage. If Alaphilippe goes for it today, I reckon it means that he thinks he's not gonna cope in the Alps.
  • Gonna be a hell of a fight to get in the break for this one I’d imagine.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I know it will never happen but it would be very interesting if Ineos got Bernal in the break.
    Just how hard would DQS and others ride.
  • blazing_saddles
    A very large working hard to get away. All at about 36C and rising.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Break of around 30 riders including In there are Greg van Avermaet, Bauke Mollema, Nico Roche, Jasper Stuyven, Matteo Trentin, Rui Costa, Thomas De Gendt, Edvald Boasson Hagen and Daniel Oss (from CN liveblog)

You'd think if GVA makes it to the end he would be best placed to then win. So TdG or Costa to go long?
  • blazing_saddles
    Only a French DS would continue with this farce. Absolutely killing his riders ahead of those 3 massive days in the Alps.

Just a stupid tantrum.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Only a French DS would continue with this farce. Absolutely killing his riders ahead of those 3 massive days in the Alps.

Just a stupid tantrum.

It's crazy eh? :shock:
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529

Just a stupid tantrum.

It's crazy eh? :shock:

Well I guess it is the next best thing to being in the break, both ITV and EuroSport giving TDE alot of air-time.
    If they were in the break then they would be pretty anonymous and they wouldn't win the stage anyway.
  • blazing_saddles
    Bernaudeau gonna take a lot of grief after this. Making it so hard for teams to distribute bidons, ice etc and no chance of a natural break.
    All for nought.
    Madness.
  • blazing_saddles
    Sagan has a quiet word and finally the stupid punishment of the peloton ends
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    51.7km first hour!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Bernaudeau gonna take a lot of grief after this. Making it so hard for teams to distribute bidons, ice etc and no chance of a natural break.
    All for nought.
    Madness.

It would've been funny if the other teams just sat up and let them ride off.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • The cicadas are bl00dy loud
  • bobmcstuff
    gsk82 wrote:
    All for nought.
    Madness.

It would've been funny if the other teams just sat up and let them ride off.

Why didn't they just let TDE ride off the front? Just sit up and let the gap open up. It's not like they mean anything to the race.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Were they just trying to do Alaphilippe a favour do you think? Play the national card, keep the gap down and give him one last hurrah?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    TDE taking punishment from the DS for failing to get in the break?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • The 33 riders in the break:

Daniel Oss and Lukas Pöstlberger (Bora-Hansgrohe), Kasper Asgreen (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Alexis Gougeard (Ag2r La Mondiale), Dylan Teuns (Bahrain-Merida), Nelson Oliveira (Movistar), Omar Fraile and Gorka Izagirre (Astana), Simon Clarke and Tom Scully (EF Education First), Chris Juul-Jensen and Matteo Trentin (Mitchelton-Scott), Greg van Avermaet and Michael Schär (CCC), Sven Erik Bystrom, Rui Costa, Sergio Henao and Vegard Stake Laengen (UAE Team Emirates), Bauke Mollema, Thomas Skujins and Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo), Nicolas Roche (Sunweb), Natnael Berhane, Jesús Herrada, Anthony Pérez and Pierre-Luc Périchon (Cofidis), Thomas de Gendt and Jens Keukeleire (Lotto-Soudal), Nils Politt (Katusha-Alpecin), Xandro Meurisse and Andrea Pasqualon (Wanty-Groupe Gobert), Edvald Boasson Hagen and Ben King (Dimension Data).
    Average speed so far: 46.6km/h.
  • bobmcstuff
    Gaps's out to 10+ mins now, winner to come from the break.
  • Stunning scenery.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Il pleut. :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo