Airstrip at Peyragudes

davieb78
davieb78 Posts: 97
edited July 2019 in Road general
Do any of you know if you can cycle up the airstrip at Montee Peyragudes? I'm assuming you normally can't, but you never know!! It seems that when they finished there in 2017 they approached the strip from the west side and this makes sense on Google. I'm going there soon and just thinking about my route. Cheers.

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I would be VERY suprised if you were allowed, but it looks as though it's a ghost town up there in the summer so there may be no-one to physcially stop you/notice.

Looking on gmaps, it looks as though they have added a tarmac link onto the bottom of the airstrip since the streetview car went up. I would also expect there to be a gate!!

The final part of the road climb looks nice anyway.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    I have heard of people climbing over the little chain fence to ride up it, but I don't know how allowed/advisable that is, or whether you will get chased off.
  • kingstongraham
    https://www.strava.com/segments/14692535?filter=overall

Filter by this year - people are riding it.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Yeh we had no issues a couple of years ago. Climbed Peyresourde, went down to the airstrip. Only barrier is a small knee height bit of fencing. Seemed like a ghost town. Think it's the kind of place which is used by the odd hobbyist at weekends rather than some kind of international airport. Obviously keep an eye out for aerial activity, but on the whole I imagine you should be fine with a bit of common sense.
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97
    Thanks for all the help folks. Cheers.
  • kingstongraham
    And make sure it's not one of the days James Bond is going there to sort things out. Gets a bit more complicated then.