2019 Vitus Nucleus 275 VR

socal_rider
socal_rider Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Your mountain bikes
First post, first mountain bike. Purchased through CRC and delivered to California. Delivery took 11 days total. Only had to install the front wheel and handle bar.

vjcgmfY.jpg

3cBH3Z4.jpg

First upgrade was a Brand-X Ascend dropper seat post. Also purchased from CRC.

sOVeJJA.jpg

ta4spoG.jpg

I would appreciate advice on my next upgrade. I'm leaning towards new tires and going tubeless with Maxxis DHF on the front and DHR on rear.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Nice bike.

Upgrades can also depend on what you want the bike to do. I do like dropper posts so you've covered that off.

Stock tyres can be a bit average (and heavy) but would be fine if you commute to work on the roads etc. I don't know what the WTB are like. What sort of riding do you plan to do? Tubeless can be good, lighter and arguably less puncture prone.

Personally, I'd change the pedals! They look a bit basic.

Other than that, I'd probably ride it a bit and see how you get on.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Excellent choice of bike! Let us know how you get on with it.

I agree with Billy Cool, ditch the pedals. Get some flats with pins; they will improve your grip enormously. You can spend anything from £12 to £120+ (US$15- US$150+). What you get for the extra money is better grip, lower profile, lower weight, increased durability, maintainability, choice of colour, style & bragging points. My opinion would be that $40 -$50 will get you some good flat pedals. Ask on here for suggestions.
  • Nice i had a 2017 Sentier VRS which looks like the same frame as yours, well i still have it, but i have just bought something else as an upgrade, should really post the pics on here at some point.

You will love it, its a cracking frame and starting point, upgrades i made were;
    - Dropper post
    - Tyres - I didnt get on with the WTB's so i changed to Maxxis Minion DHF on the front and an ardent on the rear both set up tubeless, however having recently converted to conti trail king/mountain king (black chili compound) i would thoroughly recommend them.
    - New Bars and grips - original bars were a bit low for me.
    - Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon flat pedals

Other than that it was all original, now go out and enjoy it :)
  • Appreciate the replies. I swapped out the stock pedals for these $20 Rockbros.

ngZTmdy.jpg

5SMRfpf.jpg
  • Nice! Loving my Nucleus 275VR too! It's my first MTB in more years than I care to remember...

https://flic.kr/p/2hjKkK6

I added Nukeproof Horizon pedals at purcahse and have found the grip with a pair of Five Ten Freeriders very confidence inspiring.

I've been thinking about adding a dropper to it. How did you find installing and routing the cable? Do you have pictures on the handlebars and the remote lever as I was wondering where it might fit what with the brakes and shifters.