Sram 10-42 Cassette with Shimano Di2????

802Andrew
802Andrew Posts: 6
edited July 2019 in Road general
I'm running SRAM force 1 mechanical 1x on the road and it's perfect for where and how I ride. 42 up front and 10-42 rear. That gives me the range I need at 27" to 113". I'm trying to figure out how to make this work electronically. The new Shimano 11 speed GRX Di2 is almost there but the cassettes all start with an 11T cog and this won't give me the top end at only 103 gear inches. Not interested in running the Sram 50T MTB cassette. The new SRAM AXS is all cross compatible but the road cassette tops out at 33T and then you jump to the MTB 50T. I don't believe the 12 speed AXS chain, derailleur etc will work with the 11 speed 10-42 cassette. Only thing that seems possible is going Frankenstein and seeing if the Di2 can be programmed to work on the SRAM 10-42. They claim 11T is smallest cog it will accommodate. Any experience actually running this setup? And SRAM, lots of people really love your 10-42, where is the AXS compatibility???

Thanks!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Why are you so keen to upgrade to electronic shifting????
  • 802Andrew
    I rode a bike with Di2 for two weeks and never once had a clunky shift. It was perfect every time. I don't get that with the mechanical setup.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Shimano say that it won't work with a cassette with a 10 tooth cog because they don't make one. GRX or XT will work. Many mountain bikers run Sram 10-42 cassettes with otherwise Shimano drivetrains (I did until I upgraded my MTBs to Sram Eagle), there's no problem.
  • 802Andrew
    Thanks whyamihere!
    I've heard that from others as well that this will work running the mechanical versions of XT.
    I read somewhere that the electronic Di2 won't let you program in a 10T cog. Does that make any sense?
    I have no experience setting up Di2 and just need to know that it can be programmed properly?
    Anybody running Di2 with a SRAM 10-42???
    Thank you!