General Advice: Scotland to Zagred

jp.broughton
jp.broughton Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

First time poster. Wanted to ask some advice on route, equipment, considerations or anything i havent on a tour from scotland to Plitvice (Croatia). I will be travelling solo

My plan is to cycle down from Aberdeen to Newcastle ferry then onto IJmuiden, Holland. I plan to then cycle down through Europe stopping by:
Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Germany
Austria
Italy
Slovenia
Croatia

The Cycle will be more passing through/camping until i get to Croatia where i may spend some time.

Q: is there any specific route to take which is particular worth trying ?
Q: the top level route is 2000km long, how long would you figure this take an average cyclist?

I plan to invest in a Tourer Bike with back paneers and a front handlebar bag. Wild camping will be the way with the occasional stop in a hostel or campsite.

Q: Is there a good link for what kit to take with me a lean kit that would allow efficient travel?
Q: Any advice how to ship my bike back home via flight? Is the PVC bag OK to travel home with?
Q: Advice on how to manage stop points for rest, apps available for this?

As you can tell this would be my first tour holiday and looking for such information.

Cheers,

JP

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    My advice would be to start something shorter and smaller. That allows you to work out what works for you and what doesn't, what you can get away with or without, and the basics of camp life and security.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was thinking the same. That's a very ambitious plan for a first foray into cycle touring.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Definitely keep it local to begin with. Start with a weekend away and build up. That would be the sensible option so you can work out what you need to take with you etc.

You could just head off to Croatia out of the shop but its going to be a bit more of a shot in the dark than if you've practiced and prepared.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Guys I worked with did a reverse of the below. May give some pointers.

https://tdaglobalcycling.com/the-odyssey
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jp.broughton
    jp.broughton Posts: 2
    edited November 2019
    You dont always have to listen to advice and go with your gut instinct.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Very belated well done for this. There is obv a lot more interest in touring at the Cycling UK forum (formerly CTC).