Chain cleaner Cleaning

jamieluton
jamieluton Posts: 30
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I have had a park tool chain cleaner tool now for quite a while and use it regularly. Overtime though it has become filthy as you would expect.

What is the best way to clean a chain cleaning device?

Thanks

Comments

• PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    I use Jizer as a chain cleaner and then a bit of Jizer to clean the cleaner, especially the sponge.
  • jamieluton
    I use Jizer as a chain cleaner and then a bit of Jizer to clean the cleaner, especially the sponge.
    As in this stuff:
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • PhilipPirrip
    That's the stuff.

It looks expensive but you don't need much so a tin like that will last years.
  • jamieluton
    That's the stuff.

It looks expensive but you don't need much so a tin like that will last years.

Nice one thank you!

Is it just stronger than standard bike/chain degreaser then?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't Park do a chain cleaner cleaner? Surely there's a gap in the market they can exploit?
  • PhilipPirrip
    I would say it's stronger in that its surfactants will start to break down the heaviest grease on contact without agitation or hot water so keep away from bearings. Put some up to the line in the Park tool, give it a few spins and rinse off with cold water for a completely clean chain. I do use some sparingly on a paint brush to clean the chainrings and cassette as well.

One of my first jobs out of school was using it to strip the grease off of industrial hydraulics.
  • jamieluton
    I would say it's stronger in that its surfactants will start to break down the heaviest grease on contact without agitation or hot water so keep away from bearings. Put some up to the line in the Park tool, give it a few spins and rinse off with cold water for a completely clean chain. I do use some sparingly on a paint brush to clean the chainrings and cassette as well.

One of my first jobs out of school was using it to strip the grease off of industrial hydraulics.
    Ahh ok , so keep this for the chain, makes sense. Then to clean the chain clearer just give it a bit of a soak in it to get that clean?

Thank you for the advice! Always good to have the transferable knowledge
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Does logic not suggest that the same stuff that cleans the chain, will also clean the chain cleaner - or am I missing something obvious..?
  • jamieluton
    Imposter wrote:
    Does logic not suggest that the same stuff that cleans the chain, will also clean the chain cleaner - or am I missing something obvious..?
    You would have thought so but it just seems to get more and more filthy... maybe it just needs a good soak
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    A cost benefit analysis would suggest just relubing without cleaning then eventually swap out the chain.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    People actually wash their cheap bikes? Pah like washing a tissue
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me-109 wrote:
    Don't Park do a chain cleaner cleaner? Surely there's a gap in the market they can exploit?

Well you can buy dishwasher and washing machine cleaners, so why not?

I'm firmly in the wipe down / relube / wipe down camp
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

jizer is perfect for cleaning everything on a bike - have used it for decades.

works perfect, cheap, far better than all that trendy stuff "your mate" at the shop flogs you because the clubbies use it and they get a huge profit margin.

#jizerrocks
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Been using this on my drivetrains and in my chain cleaner for years. Bottle lasts forever and i just pour some in the Parktools chain cleaner and have some in a cup with a brush that I work into the rear mech, cassette and cogs etc

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... ampaign=PX %7C Shopping %7C Auto %26 Cleaning&utm_term=4584276294104313&utm_content=G - Cleaning Essentials&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CL3nk86c1-MCFRGxGwodAVAH-g&gclsrc=ds