What do you use on a Matt finish frame

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi all. Just got my first Matt framed bike. What should I use to clean it? Thanks
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Baby wipes then soft cloth, used this option on mine for years.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Just normal car wash suds for the last four years.

Would I buy a satin frame again? Very unlikely. That’s not to say it’s more difficult to look after, it’s not but I miss a shiny bike.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    diamonddog wrote:
    Baby wipes then soft cloth, used this option on mine for years.
    +1
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Thanks all :D
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Please don’t use baby wipes. The sooner they go the way of plastic cotton buds the better.

If you just want to get rid of some greasy marks you can use a clean bit of cloth (recycle an old t-shirt or socks) and add some citrus degreaser. Wipe off the greasy mark and then wipe off again with a clean wet cloth. Job done. For an overall clean, just do what Slowmart suggested. It works just as well as any bike branded stuff and cleans matt, satin and gloss bikes to their original finish.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    use baby wipes. F*ck dolphins
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Leaving aside the environmental issues, baby wipes just aren't very good at getting a bike clean, as they have a tendency to move dirt from one place to another without really picking it up. Bucket and sponge is far more effective..
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    use baby wipes. F*ck dolphins

Didn't a bloke once do that down in Cornwall?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Leave it dirty. No point in having a Matt frame otherwise.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't use baby wipes ... significant amount of plastics in most of them. If we stop buying them, they'll stop making them.

Just cleaned 2 bikes from a really dirty ride - hose gets off most of the crap, if it's really bad then a brush or sponge helps - then, when dry, a rag (we've all got old clothes haven't we?) and if you want, some furniture polish to finish it off ...
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    In between a more thorough car wash and sponge clean, I rinse with hose pipe, 50/50 muc off/water, rinse off.
    Muc off do a specific matt finish cleaner/polish - probably a gimmick.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    muc off matte frame detailer works well, i spray a little on........ a wet wipe.....or on a damp cloth, IF the wet wipe or damp cloth alone leaves significant marks after the matte finish dries.
    Colnago Addict!
  • I use basic household wipes (like baby wipes) and just dry up with a cloth or kitchen role. Works a treat.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Ecover washing up liquid. Doesn't contain waxes like car shampoo and has less salts than other washing up liquid so less harmful or streaky.