Boris as PM

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
It looks likely he’ll be PM next week

His first test?

The Iranians and the missing oil tankers

I mean , what could go wrong?

That’s not even thinking of the high quality and grounded individuals he’ll pick to make up his cabinet who’ll be his political lackeys rather than individuals based on merit.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    The prospect is a kind of inverse of the middle of the last century.

The EU will be the good guys and we will ally ourselves with an increasingly far-right US regime. Russia is the elephant in the room. Boris will be the court jester to King Donald.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Doomed.
  • cougie wrote:
    Doomed.

We were doomed anyway. This has just accelerated it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its going to be a (please pardon my French) fukkin@$g disaster.

i'm starting to think about packing my bags already.

#disasterwaitingtohappen
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    In fairness to Boris his predecessor is probably wishing she had checked if any British registered oil tankers went anywhere near Iran before seizing of of theirs
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Great, another political thread - because Cake Stop doesn't have enough :D

Surely there one or two options on here already for this topic?
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=13100964&start=580
    or
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=12780147&start=20

:wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    In fairness to Boris his predecessor is probably wishing she had checked if any British registered oil tankers went anywhere near Iran before seizing of of theirs

she is/was useless as well. Johnson is even more useless, if thats possible.

#frombadtoworse

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

More opportunities for people to bloviate in the echo chamber.
  • robert88
    Shortfall wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

More opportunities for people to bloviate in the echo chamber.

And your problem is?
  • slowmart
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

Corbyn is no better but he's not entering the most powerful office in the land next week with some profound and pressing issues to deal effectively with. He doesn't do detail, he flops to public opinion and lies to suit his own agenda.

It not politics Stevo, its a genuine concern we are all on train Boris, barrelling to a head on collision and the driver hasn't a clue how to control the situation or use the tools at his disposal.

FFS his own campaign team kept him from public scrutiny during the leadership campaign for fear of him dropping himself in it.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Slowmart wrote:
    The Iranians and the missing oil tankers

I mean , what could go wrong?

Nothing. A quick "Now stop being naughty piccaninnies" will sort it.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2019
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

Corbyn is no better but he's not entering the most powerful office in the land next week with some profound and pressing issues to deal effectively with. He doesn't do detail, he flops to public opinion and lies to suit his own agenda.

It not politics Stevo, its a genuine concern we are all on train Boris, barrelling to a head on collision and the driver hasn't a clue how to control the situation or use the tools at his disposal.

FFS his own campaign team kept him from public scrutiny during the leadership campaign for fear of him dropping himself in it.
    Its a free country and you can raise these concerns of course. I'm just pointing out that we have threads for this stuff already. And pretty much every political grievance going. :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    "Its a free country and you can raise these concerns of course. I'm just pointing out that we have threads for this stuff already. And pretty much every political grievance going. :)"

+1 yet again
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

Its a free counry and you can raise these concerns of course. I'm just pointing out that we have threads for this stuff already. And pretty much every political grievance going. :)

Does that mean we have your permission?

Officially speaking?
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

or

Its a free counry and you can raise these concerns of course. I'm just pointing out that we have threads for this stuff already. And pretty much every political grievance going. :)

Does that mean we have your permission?

Officially speaking?
    No you can't. You need to go and start yet another centre left whinge thread. You'll get more right on gold stars if you do.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think political threads should have a max number of pages and once it hits that it is closed and a new one is started, a bit like having elections every 5 years.

or if 52% of posters say so it is closed
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robert88

It seems that the UK action was taken in response to Intel from the USA and was in line with the EU stance. Unfortunately the US and EU have not acknowledged their role and no EU endorsement has been received.

The tanker seized by Iran is British because of its port of registry nothing else about it is British. Nevertheless we sent a gunboat in its defence and it was too far away.

We will have new pm in a few days and if it's Boris Johnson his record as foreign secretary suggests he will be all at sea even if the tankers are not.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,129
    Is Philip Hammond a centre left whinger now?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Does that really need checking? Oil producing region. Oil moved by tanker. Britain is a popular flag of convenience for shipping. Like the number 5 bus, wait long enough you'll get a few British flagged tankers going through there.

Flag off convenience puts British ranking at just outside 10th place I believe. When you include British interests in vessels flagged elsewhere British shipping interests goes even higher.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    The stena vessel is actually run out of Scotland, as in managed. That employs more than a few people up in Scotland to do that. Just saying, there's more than a paper registration linking the vessel to the UK.
  • robert88
    The stena vessel is actually run out of Scotland, as in managed. That employs more than a few people up in Scotland to do that. Just saying, there's more than a paper registration linking the vessel to the UK.

Northern Marine Management is a subsidiary of the Swedish company Stena so not a British outfit. It might employ Scots but then the crew of the ship were a mixed lot. I doubt the Scottish link was part of the Iranian motivation, they just saw the Port of Registry and Red Duster.

Anyway, must go and fill the cars up. Fuel's a bargain right now.
  • surrey_commuter
    Does that really need checking? Oil producing region. Oil moved by tanker. Britain is a popular flag of convenience for shipping. Like the number 5 bus, wait long enough you'll get a few British flagged tankers going through there.

Flag off convenience puts British ranking at just outside 10th place I believe. When you include British interests in vessels flagged elsewhere British shipping interests goes even higher.

Surely if they had checked they would have realised p1ssing off the Iranians would leave us very vulnerable
  • slowmart
    I find it hard to believe the UK sanctioned the interception of the Iranian tanker. I would like to understand the reasoning behind such a decision when the region needs to de-escalate and reduce conflicts points.

We need to project strength as a nation and need political leadership to lead, but I fear Boris has neither the intellect, gravitas or character to anything other than follow the US lead

Desmond Tutu
  • Matthewfalle
    Slowmart wrote:
    I find it hard to believe the UK sanctioned the interception of the Iranian tanker. I would like to understand the reasoning behind such a decision when the region needs to de-escalate and reduce conflicts points.

We need to project strength as a nation and need political leadership to lead, but I fear Boris has neither the intellect, gravitas or character to anything other than follow the US lead

britain is dramatically lacking the political, industrial, military, cultural and intellectual power to project any strength anywhere.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    Slowmart wrote:

We don't want to fight but by Jingo if we do,
    We've too few ships, we've very few men, we've run out of money too,
    We've fought Iraq before, and while we're Britons true,
    We wish we bloody hadn't as we hadn't thought it through.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Slowmart wrote:

britain is dramatically lacking the political, industrial, military, cultural and intellectual power to project any strength anywhere.

We did well in the Cricket!
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Here is the range on the Iran situation that was on display on Radio 2 today. Do nothing, not our problem let them evade sanctions with their mate Syria. Obviously with this sort of approach the advocates of this style of leadership seem unfazed that international law and sanctions are for others to enforce. The reverse is the take the tanker as it is breaching sanctions and they keep taking Iranian assets 10 to 1 until they wise up and essentially engage in maritime warfare any time Iranian forces leave Iranian waters. Better get those warships on order.

Maybe it is time to realise that we are dealing with the ultimate facts don't matter state. Radcliffe is a spy and apparently this tanker ran over a fishing boat in international waters and did not stop to assist. It is all lies from a nation that are the masters in lying. I wonder where our great Euro allies are? Oh sorry they have given a glib statement of support for us being the only country to actually enforce sanctions and international law. I wonder why Iran has not provided a credible end location for the millions of barrels of oil within the bowels of the tanker arrested in Gibraltar.
  • surrey_commuter
    You think we will be able to seize Iranian assets at a rate of 10:1?

The realists on this thread are pointing out that a lot of our assets have to steam past Iran and we have two men and a dog to protect them.

Many of our European allies are landlocked and many of the others do not live in a fantasy land when they are still in their glory days.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Without checking the ships register - I have no doubt that our Navy & SBS could easily seize more Iranian assets
    The realists on this thread are pointing out that a lot of our assets have to steam past Iran and we have two men and a dog to protect them.
    Well - quite, and we're British - so we will (quite rightly) do things by rule of Law - and not result to piracy.

It may be "nice" to "flex our muscles" in a US type way - but we're a bit more circumspect than that - taking ships on a tit-for-tat measure would quickly escalate - and quite likely lose the support of our European neighbours.

Personally, I'd be upping the warship presence in the area and probably start co-ordinating convoys of UK flagged vessels with warship/aircraft guards and blasting anything Iranian out of the water ... ok not the last bit, but it would be satisfying* to do so...

*totally ignoring that the Iranian guards have family too and are probably just working to the commands of their leaders, just as ours do.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Slowbike wrote:
    Without checking the ships register - I have no doubt that our Navy & SBS could easily seize more Iranian assets
    Well - quite, and we're British - so we will (quite rightly) do things by rule of Law - and not result to piracy.

It may be "nice" to "flex our muscles" in a US type way - but we're a bit more circumspect than that - taking ships on a tit-for-tat measure would quickly escalate - and quite likely lose the support of our European neighbours.

Personally, I'd be upping the warship presence in the area and probably start co-ordinating convoys of UK flagged vessels with warship/aircraft guards and blasting anything Iranian out of the water ... ok not the last bit, but it would be satisfying* to do so...

*totally ignoring that the Iranian guards have family too and are probably just working to the commands of their leaders, just as ours do.

Do we have any support of our European neighbours given they seem happy to let Iran do whatever they want? Spain could have for example dealt with this issue but chose not to. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it would appear.