Tubeless first time

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited July 2019 in Road general
Hi all I am returning to cycling after a few years out of the saddle. Just purchased a Trek Emonda SL6 Pro which has what the seller said “Gunk in the tyres”
What type of maintenance do they need if any?
I’ve no idea. I assume my pump isn’t required on ride outs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• mosa wrote:
    Just purchased a Trek Emonda SL6 Pro which has what the seller said “Gunk in the tyres”

From that phrase it could mean the Tubless ready wheels could have been converted to tubeless but just to make you aware, there are inner tubes available that are pre-filled with a puncture sealant (gunk).

a Google search said "These TLR rims will allow you to take the plunge to a tubeless tyre system" so it sounds like they have conventional inner tubes in when it originally leaves the shop.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    mosa wrote:
    I’ve no idea. I assume my pump isn’t required on ride outs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It isn't required but you might have a feck of a long walk home, or a very understanding wife and 2p to put in a call box.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    davidof wrote:
    ...and 2p to put in a call box.
    I say old chap, does one push button A or B?
  • Really liking tubeless, ride knowing all but biggest punctures/slashes won't stop me.

One of my wheels wasn't holding pressure overnight, I knew there was a small puncture which would often reseal but then openend up again when pumped. Thinking that tire might have had it I took it to LBS along with a GP5000 upgrade, turns out it was actually a problem with the tape and some sealant in the wrong place.

The sealant does eventually go off so it need replacing in time. Overall I'd say it's more fiddly/expensive to maintain but I really like the peace of mind knowing that piece of glass probably isn't going to be the end of my ride.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It only more hassle to make take. If the setup is not right. My tubeless maintenance extends to oh I have had a puncture that little or no sealant came out of. The kind of puncture that I have to plug. Oh I better remove the valve core, clean up the seal it has, run a 1.5mm spoke through the valve rubber head and clean it out, inject 40ml of sealant and screw in valve core and reinflate tyre.

That's it. Tape never needs redoing unless I have to replace the rim. The valve is by good for the life of the rim. Sometimes I reuse them.

Maybe I avoid the tubes pitfalls or have learnt to avoid them.

This morning hiss sound ended quickly so there must be plenty of sealant. Sealant in my book is there to seal the tyre and the bead to rim. I don't rely on it to fix punctures it's nice when it does but when it doesn't That's what tyre plugs are for.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.