TDF 2019, Stage 14: Tarbes > Tourmalet Barèges 20/07/2019 - 117,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
TDF 2019, Stage 14: Tarbes > Tourmalet Barèges 20/07/2019 - 117,5 km

The Tour de France serves its first high altitude finish in the 14th stage. The riders set off in Tarbes for a day in the Pyrenees. The 117.5 kilometres route takes in the Col du Soulor as an intermediate ascent before the final haul up on the famous Col du Tourmalet. This stage will be a true showcase for the world’s best climbers. It will also be pivotal in both the yellow and polka-dot jersey competitions.

tdf19-stage-14-map-750x1061.jpg

The Col du Tourmalet is a Tour de France staple with 57 inclusions since 1947, yet the race included only two summit finishes before. Jean-Pierre Danguillaume won the Tourmalet stage in 1974 and in 2010 Andy Schleck crossed the line in first position with yellow jersey Alberto Contador following his wheel.

d6818

The 2019 Tour de France ascends the giant in the Pyrenees from Luz-Saint-Sauveur. This climb amounts to 19 kilometres with an average gradient of 7.4%, while its last kilometre slopes at 10.5%. This section also features the steepest ramp of 13.5%.

376c0

The 14th stage sets off in Tarbes, which was last included in the 2014 Tour de France, also as a departure place. The race went to La Pierre Saint-Martin. It was the first high mountain stage of that edition and Chris Froome soloed to victory with a clear 1 minute margin over his rivals.

In 2019, the route includes some minor hurdles in the first 50 kilometres before the Col du Soulor is tackled on the Ferrières side. The climb is 11.9 kilometers and the average slope sits at 7.8%, while the maximum grade is 9%.

tour-de-france-2019-stage-14-climb-n2-2e3145347b.jpg

The Soulor is crested just after the halfway point. The route descends to Argelès-Gazost and then runs false flat to Luz-Saint-Sauveur, where the final haul up the Tourmalet kicks in. The steady ascent of 19 kilometres at 7.4% kicks it up a notch in the last 3 kilometres. The third kilometre before the finish slopes at 10.9%, while the last kilometre rises at 9.8%.

b0244

Favourites 14th stage 2019 Tour de France

Is the race going to come down to a clash of GC riders or will we see the breakaway fight for the day’s honours? Both scenario’s are plausible. With approximately 50 kilometres on undulating terrain to the foot of the Soulor, the route lends itself for the attackers to open up a substantial gap. If De Gendt is up the road with some of his breakaway-expert colleagues, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to think that they will tackle the Tourmalet with a lead of 10 minutes or more.
On the other hand, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched either to think a lot of GC riders have lost time in the Pau ITT and are eager to make up ground lost. So the break may well be controlled and a pure GC battle on the Tourmalet is just as likely.
(Sitting firmly on the fence there and subject to change, post ITT)

***** Thibaut Pinot, Egan Bernal, Geraint Thomas
**** Steven Kruijswijk, Nairo Quintana, Mikel Landa
*** Jakob Fuglsang, Adam Yates, Richie Porte
** Rigoberto Uran, Emmanuel Buchmann, Romain Bardet
* Thomas De Gendt, Vincenzo Nibali, Michael Woods, Fabio Aru, Warren Barguil etc

Tarbes
3 previous stages

Population: 42, 500. 127,000 for the 86 communes of the Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees agglomeration.

In 1951, when he was wearing the yellow jersey on the road to Tarbes, Wim van Est plunged into a ravine soon after crossing the Col d’Aubisque. The fall cost him the overall lead, but not his life. “Was God watching over Wim van Est?” L’Équipe asked with incredulity. The next day, between Tarbes and Luchon, Hugo Koblet took possession of the jersey and never let it go. But Wim van Est has gone down in history as the first Dutchman to wear the yellow jersey, and also the Giro d’Italia’s pink jersey. He went on to win another two stages of the Tour and passed away in 2003 at the age of 80. Two years prior to his death, a monument was erected on the Aubisque in memory of his fall. His then sponsor, Pontiac watches, did not miss the opportunity to use the incident to its advantage, with the slogan: “I fell 70 metres, my heart stopped beating, but my Pontiac still worked...” The man on the end of a miracle on the Aubisque was a colourful character. He had been involved in smuggling cigarettes in his youth and spent several months in prison. Cycling was his redemption.

e13c2

Specialties: foie gras, garbure, spit cake, Tarbais beans.

French_Tarbais_Bean_Soup.jpg

Tourmalet Barèges
Two previous stages

Summit of Hautes-Pyrénées

Population: 180 in Barges and 15,556 for the 46 communes of Pyrénées-Vallées des Gaves.

Someone was missing at the top of the Tourmalet on its first ascent in the Tour de France in 1910 – Henri Desgrange himself. The Tour de France founder had been in two minds about putting the climb on the Tour route and its presence had frightened quite a few riders, as the race took off with only 110 starters. The Perpignan-Luchon stage and the first mountain passes of the Pyrenees confirmed his impression that the course was perhaps a little bit too hard. Before the start, he had already been seriously attacked by some riders. After the finish in Luchon, Desgrange could sense that the peloton’s morale was not very high. He suddenly fell ill and stayed in Luchon for treatment, leaving the Tour keys to Victor Breyer. A keen boxer, Breyer was not afraid of a fight if needed. GC leader Octave Lapize made it to the top and won the stage in Bayonne, but was furious all the same: “Criminals!” he shouted but Desgrange was not there to listen. The crime has remained unpunished for over a century now.

Sainte-Marie de Campan forge
A plaque on the sport recalls the day of 1913 when Eugene Christophe broke his fork and tried to repair it in the local forge.

Bareges
The Bareges valley, one of seven valleys in the Lavedan county, once was a small independent Republic with its own customs. It was called the valley of the Toys, inhabited by mountaineers who proudly defended their freedom and were never subdued. The thermal baths were revived in the 18th century – after the visit of Madame de Maintenon – and the small thermal village became a commune in 1946. Its waters are used in traumatology, dermatology and to cure rheumatisms.

34592016886_9d02c2a3bb_b.jpg

Specialties: Mutton of Bareges-Gavarnie (AOP), garbure, black pork of Bigorre, Tourmalet beehives, onion of Trébons (AOP), beer of Pays Toy

gammedebieres-brasseriedupaystoy-sassis-HautesPyrenees.jpeg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    A scenic cow shot.

Day-20-Cirque-de-Gavarnie.jpg

A scenic horse shot.

Gavarnie-Le-cirque-et-le-cheval_format_914x400.jpg

And the local mutton looking down upon the herds of TDF fans invading their AOC.

image.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I don't think I'd be swimming in that lake...

9b923.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    llamas.jpg?w968h681
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The Colombians will feel at home with those furry fiends.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Alaphillipe probably deserves some chainrings no ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    This has to be ridden aggressively by the GC favourites surely? Lots to play for and they need to test Thomas at the first opportunity.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Pross wrote:
    This has to be ridden aggressively by the GC favourites surely? Lots to play for and they need to test Thomas at the first opportunity.

Can’t really see what’s to gain tactically by being aggressive.

This is an a-pedale stage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:

It's a typical Ineos/Sky stage. They'll absolutely hammer the Tourmalet to see who's got the minerals.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

It's a typical Ineos/Sky stage. They'll absolutely hammer the Tourmalet to see who's got the minerals.

For sure. I can’t see how else you’d ride it.

That valley drag is exactly that, a drag and I think it’s a headwind too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Yes that has to be Plan A doesn't it - get the mountain train in action and see if Allaphilippe cracks - if he does then happy days - if not then there are plenty of stages to think of a Plan B.

Might be interesting to see what Bernal's role is - if Allaphilippe can hang in there do they use Bernal in the train - probably not - do they launch him to make Allaphilippe chase ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

If Froome was there, they'd be halfway up the Tourmalet, he'd have no helpers left (everyone would think he was in trouble) and he'd put everyone to the sword.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Landa will go on the Solour - mark these words
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2019
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

If Froome was there, they'd be halfway up the Tourmalet, he'd have no helpers left (everyone would think he was in trouble) and he'd put everyone to the sword.
    Maybe fit 2019 Froome. But classic Froome - 5-6km to go, Berrnal puts everyone into the red for 2-3 minutes then Froome attacks. It's his special move

I don't think Thomas has that in his skill set though. I think a Bernal attack at a similar point might be a decent strategy. Thomas sits on then counters.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2019
    I'm actually more interested in what other teams will do and how Ineos decide to play things if and when they do.
    If not tomorrow, then on Sunday.
    The boot is bound to be put into Alaphillipe's patchwork team, from all directions.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2019
    I'm actually more interested in what other teams will do and how Ineos decide to play things if and when they do.
    If not tomorrow, then for certain on Sunday.
    If...

Michelton will try
    Jumbo will want to try but don't have the team
    Movistar will balls it up as usual
    Who else?
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Maybe fit 2019 Froome. But classic Froome - 5-6km to go, Berrnal puts everyone into the red for 2-3 minutes then Froome attacks. It's his special move

I don't think Thomas has that in his skill set though. I think a Bernal attack at a similar point might be a decent strategy. Thomas sits on then counters.

Surely you ride fast till the final 1km and Thomas does his super duper finish which nets him 20s plus bonus.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    If...
    Do I need a 3rd if?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    If...
    Do I need a 3rd if?
    It appears you do.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it, and which is more you’ll be a Man, my son!
    From the summit of the Col du Tourmalet there is a further 5.5km at 9.4% to Col du Laquettes at an altitude of 2636m, most of the time this is suitable for mountain bike only, but some years it is repaired and can be ridden on a road bike. From here you can climb by foot to the observatory on the summit of the Pic de Midi, it is just over 2800m.

Pic du Midi observatory, a 1.06-meter (42-inch) telescope was installed in 1963, funded by NASA and was used to take detailed photographs of the surface of the Moon in preparation for the Apollo missions.
    https://velopeloton.com/col-du-tourmalet/
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pic_du_Midi_de_Bigorre

Fantastic location today for stage 14.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    The yellow jersey will consolidate his lead with a GC crushing final k just on the bit where it goes round the bend and gets steeper.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Ineos have to give it a go. they can not let alaphillipe into the last 500m with Thomas. they could just lose time. they need to start taking it back.

stage is short which usually means the finale is a GC rider shoot out.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

For sure. I can’t see how else you’d ride it.

That valley drag is exactly that, a drag and I think it’s a headwind too.

its a headwind going down...easier riding up....odd but true.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    josame wrote:
    Landa will go on the Solour - mark these words

he may..ineos may get someone out front too... that said the bulk of the gc teams mountain domestics I think will get over the soulor unless a team decides to rip it up. the valley is tailwind which can go both ways.

pre soulor roads are not as long a distance as stage 12 so can a big break get the time it needs to stay away? if DQS keep the speed high limiting the gap them Alaphillipe is set to win the stage in his mind...if Ineos let a big break go then they are not confident Thomas has it?

as for everyone else? anyone's guess. I think stage hunting ex gc Bardet and Nibali types may try tomorrow. less explosive day.
  • mididoctors
    The yellow jersey will consolidate his lead with a GC crushing final k just on the bit where it goes round the bend and gets steeper.

if he is there thats what I think as well....
  • blazing_saddles

He's not the only one going round the bend.
  • mididoctors
    seriously thou will alaphillipe just fall apart from the multiple efforts on the Tourmalet? that's what it comes down too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    seriously thou will alaphillipe just fall apart from the multiple efforts on the Tourmalet? that's what it comes down too.

Friebos said last night that JA's coach says he can't really do climbs that are longer than 40 minutes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles

Inrng seem to think it's possible.

http://inrng.com/2019/07/tour-de-france ... tourmalet/

But then again, they have Anorexia Valverde as a 2 ring favourite.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

Friebos said last night that JA's coach says he can't really do climbs that are longer than 40 minutes.

well that's a yes then.

if he was telling the truth.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I haven't got a clue what's going to happen and would never have predicted Alaphillipe winning the TT. Great we still have a race though so far.

Hincapie was saying that some of the other teams could assist Quick Setup against a dominant Ineos, with large a budget. I thought this was and interesting angle for the coming week, depending on who's left in the GC fight.