Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Did the Americans really send a buggy to the Moon and clanger it about? How did they fit that in the pod space thing?

They didn't, it was delivered by USPS and left in a safe place.

I do find it incredible how in effect that's what SpaceX have managed to do now.

Fifty years ago, it is an incredible achievement and shows what can be done with enough ambition and money. A good set of programmes on BBC Four at the moment.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Did the Americans really send a buggy to the Moon and clanger it about? How did they fit that in the pod space thing?

I do find it incredible how in effect that's what SpaceX have managed to do now.

Fifty years ago, it is an incredible achievement and shows what can be done with enough ambition and money. A good set of programmes on BBC Four at the moment.

IIRC, the Apollo program consumed 4% of US GDP, so yes, a LOT of money.

There was a nice clip of Buzz Aldrin on the radio this morning, saying that we should be a little ashamed that we had made so little progress on space exploration in 50 years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

There was a nice clip of Buzz Aldrin on the radio this morning, saying that we should be a little ashamed that we had made so little progress on space exploration in 50 years.

He's right - that's pretty small beer in comparison to other things we should be ashamed of.
  • rjsterry
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

He's right - that's pretty small beer in comparison to other things we should be ashamed of.

I think the social benefits of projects like Apollo, in terms of inspiring and uniting people, are underestimated.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Pinno wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It raises another question, how do you 3D print using titanium?.
    Grind it into a powder, sprinkle in the right place then blast with a laser to melt&fuse it together.

Quite easy then. :roll:

It's justified to produce such a complex piece of mechanical engineering as a jockey wheel though.
  • FocusZing
    rjsterry wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

I think the social benefits of projects like Apollo, in terms of inspiring and uniting people, are underestimated.

Yeah, akin to Cern.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

(Entry level) super car performance at a fraction of the price.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

But who is 'menoporschal' enough to actually get one? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

Haven't you got work to do?!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

Haven't you got work to do?!
    I am allowed a lunch break you know...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • FocusZing
    There is something satisfying about seeing a Tesla annihilate a super car in a straight line drag race.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

Again, you old guys can fight among yourselves. I'm hoping I'll get something fast before I get to middle age so I can avoid the dreadful social stigma of having nice things once you reach 40... :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

Again, you old guys can fight among yourselves. I'm hoping I'll get something fast before I get to middle age so I can avoid the dreadful social stigma of having nice things once you reach 40... :wink:
    Unfortunately for Pinno, he'd need a time machine to do that :P

Mind you, may be worth you coming along to our next Gretna meet.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

Mind you, may be worth you coming along to our next Gretna meet.

Unfortunately I'm already getting married next year, no need for a quick wedding in the meantime...
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ... Porsche

I have got there before reaching 50.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    rjsterry wrote:
    The perennial attraction of conspiracy theories.

wasn't there a thread for them once? I miss Manc33
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Annual spend on Apollo was approx 1/10th annual spend on the Vietnam War which was happening at the same time.
  • FocusZing
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Annual spend on Apollo was approx 1/10th annual spend on the Vietnam War which was happening at the same time.

That's a good stat which brings it into perspective.
  • rjsterry
    Well that's thoroughly depressing. Can we get back to space exploration?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

It is also worth considering what the spend on the Apollo program returned post misson, as an unintentional investment for want of a better phrase. I can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head but the point is that you had a program that recruited thousands of engineers and scientists and challenged them to up their game significantly to achieve a goal...this in turn led to a hugely experienced and knowledgeable workforce that the US economy benefited from massively in the years after.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

It is also worth considering what the spend on the Apollo program returned post misson, as an unintentional investment for want of a better phrase. I can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head but the point is that you had a program that recruited thousands of engineers and scientists and challenged them to up their game significantly to achieve a goal...this in turn led to a hugely experienced and knowledgeable workforce that the US economy benefited from massively in the years after.

Yeah, very true. It must have created a real hub of great talent.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Another way of looking at it is that it cost 4% of GDP to put a man on the moon and ten times as much each year to fight the Vietnam war which means that the Yanks spent 40% of their GDP annually which accounts for the equivalent of their entire tax take which means they were running a 44% deficit each year so they went bankrupt in about 1968 and had to fake the moon landings.

Or it took $168bn to put a man on the moon and $25bn a year to fight the American War, as it is known in Vietnam
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Another way of looking at it is that it cost 4% of GDP to put a man on the moon and ten times as much each year to fight the Vietnam war which means that the Yanks spent 40% of their GDP annually which accounts for the equivalent of their entire tax take which means they were running a 44% deficit each year so they went bankrupt in about 1968 and had to fake the moon landings.

Or it took $168bn to put a man on the moon and $25bn a year to fight the American War, as it is known in Vietnam

Apollo cost $25bn, Vietnam cost $168bn
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    https://youtu.be/goh2x_G0ct4

wasn't popular amongst all strata of society......

#dissent
    #blaxploitation
    #havethingschangedatall?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    awavey wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

And they only won one of them.
    Just shows that money does not always buy success.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

And they only won one of them.
    Just shows that money does not always buy success.

they won both in the end ........

#capitalism

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    they won both in the end ........

#capitalism
    Don't go around upsetting Cake Stoppers like that :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    #capitalism
    #SocialistRepublicofVietnam.

#justsayin
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    awavey wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Apollo15LunarRover.jpg-

Not sure what your point is but the Apollo cost is annual.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #capitalism
    #SocialistRepublicofVietnam.

#justsayin

if you were there to see the transition from a Communist state to what it is today, you'd see exactly what i mean.

#fascistcapitalists

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.