6th La Course by Le Tour de France. *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
6th La Course by Le Tour de France

The 6th edition of La Course is played on a hilly circuit in Pau. The race is held on the parcours of the Tour de France’s ITT, although the women tackle the circuit five times and the men time trialists once.

stage-13-route.jpg

This year's La Course is a hilly circuit race of 121 kilometres with start and finish in Pau. The route features five laps with two climbs each, Côte de Gelos and Côte d'Esquillot. Inside the last 500 metres the women tackle a short ramp at 17%.

la-course-by-le-tour-de-france-2019-result-profile-a13eb74895.jpg

La Course starts at 9.20 and the race is expected to finish around 12.35 – both are local times. The race will be won by the Dutch.....

The ASO race link.

https://www.lacoursebyletourdefrance.com/en/

Mrs Cow's bit:

Pyrenees-cycling-trip-Epic-Road-Rides.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'd like Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig to win, if possible, and if not I'd like her to be filled with sugar and e-numbers and bundled into the ITV4 commentary booth to make watching the men's ITT entertaining for once.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I'd like Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig to win, if possible, and if not I'd like her to be filled with sugar and e-numbers and bundled into the ITV4 commentary booth to make watching the men's ITT entertaining for once.

:D:D
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Deignan confirming that she hasn't even had a ride of the course and has come straight from an altitude training camp so has no idea what she's likely to be doing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

Oh yeah, hook that straight into my veins :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Currently a break off the front holding at just over a minute. Roads look quite good for getting away in the first half of the course - one hairpin corner looks super-sketchy for TT bikes later, even worse than the streetview picture in the other thread sggests.
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    edited July 2019
    Looks and feels very similar to the Glasgow Euro & Commie course.

That ramp at 450m to go is going to be brutal and decisive.

edit... ok the bit out of town doesn't. But the bit in town does.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    Looks and feels very similar to the Glasgow Euro & Commie course.

That ramp at 450m to go is going to be brutal and decisive.

Bit steep, isn't it?

Break still being given nothing.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Peloton starting to chase this down, Cordo Ragot off the front alone small break in between. Gap noticeably closed up on the final ramp; Anna Van Der Breggen looks like she might be struggling.

Van Vleuten makes a big move to split the peloton open...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Uttrup, Vos, Van Der Breggen, Longho Borginni all make it with Van Vleuten. Deignan trapped behind.

Looks like there might be too many heads there to keep this select group away - they're all watching each other a bit.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Mrs Cow's bit:

Pyrenees-cycling-trip-Epic-Road-Rides.jpg

I was going to say you could at least have found a picture of a woman cyclist and a cow, but it has proved surprisingly difficult, there's lots of omafiets and cows but very few road bikes an cows... This was the best I could manage.

Cycling-Switzerland-Gstaad-7.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Jasinska breaks away solo, looks to be being pulled back on the latest climb though. Maybe thirty riders left in this now at most.

Van Der Breggen now counters, Van Vleuten attacks her back...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Race in bits right now. Lead group split with five going clear including Spratt, Uttrup and Paladin, rest caught up with the chasing 'peloton' or at least whatever remains of it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    That front five may have been misidentified, fwiw - can't see Uttrup in there.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Spratt still out front - group of pursuers keeps splitting and reforming behind. 23km to go, most of the big names still sitting comfortably and biding their time until it kicks off properly again.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Bloody high cadence I saw there from sprat.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Spratt over the top of the biggest climb with 18 seconds or so and starting to go out again. Chasing group saw some attacks on the climb but has now settled down again. Might properly kick off on the long twisty descent in a few km, otherwise they might wait until the final ramp.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    CCC working for Vos and Moolman behind to try and bring Spratt back, VAn Vleuten sitting pretty and not having to work due to Spratt.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Brandt and Vos try to get across on the descent i mentioned, Spratt holds a 22 second advantage with 14km to go.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Brand and Vos joined by Van Vleuten who sits on. Gap coming down a little - Uttrup gets across and threatens to go straight past. Counter and counter attack...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    5km to go, 18 seconds to Spratt. Chasing group seem to have lost cohesion again - flat across the front rather than strung out.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    3km to go - gap starting to come down at last but Spratt out of sight still...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    I'll be honest, Spratt's cycling style is starting to look tired now. Bunch visible behind...
  • above_the_cows
    Is Spratt going to manage to hold them off...?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Under the red kite, looked to struggle sprinting out of the corner but still holds a few seconds...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Vos overhauls her at the top of the ramp and romps away!
  • above_the_cows
    Vos is a MACHINE!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Turned on just as Vos rode away to win!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Boss from Vos there
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Well that was a fun watch.