TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2019 in Pro race
TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT

Stage 13 on the Tour de France is an out-and-back ITT in Pau. It is the only chance for time trialists to shine this edition. The distance is limited though - only 27.2 kilometres. Pau has welcomed two individual time trials in the past. In 1939, a stage won by Swiss rider Karl Litschi and in 1981, when Bernard Hinault took the win on his way to overall victory.

stage-13-route.jpg

Pau is the most visited location in Tour de France history. In the past nine editions, the race visited the town in the Pyrenees foothills nine times. The last two arrivals both boiled down to a bunch sprint with Arnaud Démare (2018) and Marcel Kittel (2017) storming to victory.

2b4ce

The Tour de France serves its only ITT on a course of 27.2 kilometres that’s characterized by a number of gently rolling uphills, while the more punchy Côte d’Esquillot is the biggest hurdle. The 1.1 kilometres ramp slopes at almost 8%. The Esquillot may be the biggest hurdle, the finale holds a steep surprise up its sleeves. In the last few hundred metres the riders hit a 17% ramp. Short but hard, especially since the kick up begins right after a tight turn onto the Rue Mulot and the speed will be relatively low.

9d0ed

Intermediate time checks are at kilometre 7.1 (after a rolling uphill), at kilometre 15.5 (atop the Esquillot), and at kilometre 21.9 (in the vineyards of Jurançon).

PUF-jurancon-suivez-la-route-des-vins-2_1-1024x512.jpg

Favourites 13th stage 2019 Tour de France

World time trial champion Rohan Dennis would have started as favourite in the only ITT of this year's Tour de France, but with his abandon yesterday, the stage becomes a more open affair.
The length and profile of the Pau ITT is similar to the ITT during the Critérium du Dauphiné last month. Belgian time trial champion Wout Van Aert outclassed his rivals and he won the race 31 seconds ahead of Tejay van Garderen and Tom Dumoulin. Almost all GC contenders on this Tour de France, with the exception of Geraint Thomas and Egan Bernal, were in the Dauphiné. Steven Kruijswijk finished best of the bunch, in fourth, 49 seconds behind his team mate Van Aert.

***** Wout Van Aert
**** Geraint Thomas, Chad Haga, Kasper Asgreen
*** Yves Lampaert, Tony Martin, Stefan Küng
** Wilco Kelderman, Søren Kragh Andersen, Luke Durbridge
* Steven Kruijswijk, Maximilian Schachmann, Tom Scully

Pau > Pau On the road

Km 9
Uzos (Pop: 730)
Uzos is home to one of the most famous jam manufactures and shops in France, created by Francis Miot, who died in 2015 after being crowned jam and marmalade world champion three times in his career. On the site was created the Feerie Gourmande museum, dedicated to the art of sweets. Francis Miot also created several sweets like the “coucougnettes”, voted the best sweets in France in 2000.

e1ea3

Côte d’Esquillot
A classic of cycling races finishing in Pau, the Esquillot climb will play a leading role in the 2019 edition of La Course as riders will ride up it five times in their 135-km circuit.

Km 21

Jurançon (Pop: 7,100)
Jurancon owes its worldwide reputation to its white wines (a dry one AOC since 1975 and a sweet one AOC since 1936). Jurancon wines were favourites of King Henry IV and of novelist Colette. Legend has it that Henry IV was baptised with jurançon and garlic. The leading grapes used in the making of jurancon are Small and Large Manseng.

jurancon-aux-environs-de-pau-patrimoine-cepage-haut.jpg

Pau
70 previous stages

Population: 77,600 habitants. 162,000 for the 31 communes of Pau Béarn Pyrenees.

Pau has been the start or finale of all types of stages, as the winners list confirms. Climbers like Rene Vietto or Fausto Coppi, attackers like Pierrick Fedrigo or sprinters like Sean Kelly, Erik Zabel or Robie McEwen all raised their arms in the capital of the French Pyrenees. Last year, France’s Arnaud Demare clinched his second Tour de France stage victory in town. With so many starts and finishes on Boulevard des Pyrenees, the Tour could not fail to create cycling vocations and many riders were born in or around Pau. It was the case for Victor Fontan, winner of two stages in 1928 and a yellow jersey holder in 1929, or 1956 team time-trial Olympic champion Arnaud Geyre and more recently Stéphane Augé, who rode the Tour eight times, Mathieu Ladagnous, with six participations, and Team Ineos DS Nicolas Portal, who lives in Pau and also rode six Tours.

1458e

Specialties: garbure (soup), poule au pot (hen in the pot),

poule_au_pot_2000.jpg?vd=20180616T221244Z&ir=1&width=885&height=498&crop=auto&quality=75&speed=0&hash=791F7A9F411887303E3C9841AAD799710D1E11E2

foie gras, magret and other dishes derived from duck and goose, honey, coucougnettes du Vert Galant (almond chocolate sweets), Verdier chocolates, Francis Miot jam, le « Russe » (The Russian, almond cake with praline), ossau-iraty (cheese), wines (Jurançon, Madiran, Pacherenc).

Vin_de_Juran%C3%A7on_cave_des_producteurs_Jurancon_Gan_gamme_bouteilles_AOC_-_Wine_french_France.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    PUF-jurancon-suivez-la-route-des-vins-2-1-1024x512.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Pau is also the home of a well-known international horse trials, it is the only FEI four-star ranked Three-Day-Event held in France.

4244932.jpg

Th Pyrennees are also home to the Lourdaise. Named after Lourdes this breed of cow is now critically endangered.

94bd71e4288fd00f87be92b7c630f28c.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The Pyrennees are also home to the Lourdaise. Named after Lourdes this breed of cow is now critically endangered.

I expect having only three legs isn't helping
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    PUF-jurancon-suivez-la-route-des-vins-2-1-1024x512.jpg

Fish!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The Pyrennees are also home to the Lourdaise. Named after Lourdes this breed of cow is now critically endangered.

A majestic, rare, beloved beast like that - you don't eat it all in one go.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Little known fact - I speak fluent cow and can read their names in the way they stand.

This one is called Eileen.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tomorrow's order of depart.

https://www.tissottiming.com/File/00031 ... FFFFFFFF02

Martin, Haga and Asgreen, 4th,5th and 6th off the ramp. Quite a battle for the hot seat, right there.

I notice all the recognized trialists finished in the laughing group today.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Not gonna lie - this looks a bit sketchy:

D_x1FjNXoAAyHq4.jpg

Credit: https://twitter.com/InsidePeloton96/status/1151924355124858881
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    For some reason I really fancy Asgreen for tomorrow.
  • above_the_cows
    edited July 2019
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Little known fact - I speak fluent cow and can read their names in the way they stand.

This one is called Eileen.

I think Eileen needs a blanket to cover herself up.

cc1.php?color0=00a1e4&pn=KLM%20(Airlines)%20Logo%20Blue
  • above_the_cows
    DELETE
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    4244932.jpg
    I'll never understand why the horse doesn't have the sense just to go around that obstacle. It's not like it's Beecher's Brook and it's a long way around.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I'm surprised they have Bernal and Thomas going off one after the other. Are those timings final?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 wrote:
    I'm surprised they have Bernal and Thomas going off one after the other. Are those timings final?
    There's no real reason why they shouldn't. Bernal is hardly going to sit up and wait and he's not going to lose two minutes let alone three over 27k.
  • FocusZing
    Is it lumpy enough for Alaphilippe to not drop too much time? The weathers supposed to be good so their shouldn't be any spills. I'd ask Eileen but I don't think she's online.
  • RichN95.
    FocusZing wrote:
    Is it lumpy enough for Alaphilippe to not drop too much time? The weathers supposed to be good so their shouldn't be any spills. I'd ask Eileen but I don't think she's online.
    Alaphilippe is a good TTer when he needs to be (which is rarely). He'll still be in yellow tomorrow evening.
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Alaphilippe is a good TTer when he needs to be (which is rarely). He'll still be in yellow tomorrow evening.

I hope he is, it will make a much better race of it with Ineos looking so strong.
  • RichN95.
    If anyone is still in doubt as to who Ineos's leader is (spoiler: it's Thomas), look which following car Portal is in. Not only is he the main DS, but he also lives in Pau so knows the roads intimately.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    not even a mention of La Course ?
  • blazing_saddles
    awavey wrote:

Of course not.
    This thread says stage 13 of The Tour, not another Dutch benefit criterium. :wink:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    awavey wrote:

Of course not.
    This thread says stage 13 of The Tour, not another Dutch benefit criterium. :wink:

I think the question was aimed at the ASO...
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    awavey wrote:

Of course not.

Not sure if they're on here much these days, might be busy.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    awavey wrote:

Of course not.

Not publicising La Course they're not.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    awavey wrote:

Of course not.

Not publicising La Course they're not.

As a time passing exercise I like seeing the local junior riders having a go as I wait beer in hand for the main event.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    So ignoring the stage win, if Thomas is the benchmark, what's the expectation for the rest of the top 20's gains / losses against him? At least +30s for most?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    So ignoring the stage win, if Thomas is the benchmark, what's the expectation for the rest of the top 20's gains / losses against him? At least +30s for most?
    I'd go in the range of 15 seconds (Porte/Kruijswijk if they nail it) to 2 minutes (Martin/Bardet)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Shouldn't the lumpiness play into Porte's strength of going fast in uphill TT's? Then again it's Porte at a GC so he will probably crash or flat and lose 50 seconds.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    I'd go in the range of 15 seconds (Porte/Kruijswijk if they nail it) to 2 minutes (Martin/Bardet)

Bernal and Kruijswijk are the key ones I guess, and Alaphilippe just adds added interest as he ought to narrowly retain yellow and should get within 60s of Thomas with the motivation to stay in yellow?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    larkim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Bernal and Kruijswijk are the key ones I guess, and Alaphilippe just adds added interest as he ought to narrowly retain yellow and should get within 60s of Thomas with the motivation to stay in yellow?

He'll not be within 60s of Thomas.
  • RichN95.
    A reminder of the Dauphine TT over a similar distance and terrain. Alaphilippe 7th. A surprisingly good ride by A.Yates in 6th

https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=35225