Kask protone height adjustment

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited October 2019 in Workshop
Not sure where to post this.

I have recently bought a kask protone (impulse buy, even though I had tried one on a while back and wasn't that keen). Used it for the first time today, only a 10 mile loop but the protone drove me nuts. I bought the medium, which should fit my head perfect (55cm). I tightened the dial and the helmet was nice and snug, but each time i changed my head position the bloody height adjustment changed, with an annoying clicking noise.

I have dropped Kask an email asking if there is a way to stop this (although I can't see how, given there is no lock or clamp on the height adjuster) but thought I would ask on here to see if anyone else noticed this issue and if there is a solution.

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i've used a protone c. 4 years, never had that happen

just experimented... if i deliberately set the adjustment so the cradle is too high then i can make it slip, but it's stable when set where it should be with the cradle cupping the back of my head

perhaps it's not a good fit for your head shape at the back?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvision wrote:
    Not sure where to post this.

I have recently bought a kask protone (impulse buy, even though I had tried one on a while back and wasn't that keen). Used it for the first time today, only a 10 mile loop but the protone drove me nuts. I bought the medium, which should fit my head perfect (55cm). I tightened the dial and the helmet was nice and snug, but each time i changed my head position the bloody height adjustment changed, with an annoying clicking noise.

I have dropped Kask an email asking if there is a way to stop this (although I can't see how, given there is no lock or clamp on the height adjuster) but thought I would ask on here to see if anyone else noticed this issue and if there is a solution.

Thanks

I had the Mojito which was great followed by a Protone which I just couldn't get on with. Luckily, mine was crushed by a car so I was able to buy a Salice Levante, but have now moved to the Salice Stelvio which is far better than the Protone for me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    Thanks both for the reply.

Like I say, was an impulse buy but after just one short ride I'm regretting it.

It's really weird, it actually seems to fit like a glove when i put it on, but as soon as I change head position the height adjuster clicks away.

Had response from kask just saying it is a unique feature of the Protone and designed to ensure perfect fit in any position.

Think it will be going on eBay as just a10 mile ride was enough for me.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Mine does the same, although in practice it tends to settle down and only noticeably moves in response to more extreme head movements.

It is something you get used to to some extent. It was something that Bender picked up on when he reviewed the Protone...
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/04/03/ka ... nal-gains/
  • redvision
    MrB123 wrote:
    Mine does the same, although in practice it tends to settle down and only noticeably moves in response to more extreme head movements.

It is something you get used to to some extent. It was something that Bender picked up on when he reviewed the Protone...
    <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/04/03/kask-protone-marginal-gains</span>/

Damn it! Wish I had thought to look on Benders blog before I bought it. :evil:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Mine doesn’t move on it’s own. I put it on tighten it up then push the cradle up as it’s usually fully extended from hanging it up to dry and it’s in the same place when I take it off.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It does it to me occasionally, but it's like it tends to find it's best position and then stay there.
  • philkeeble
    philkeeble Posts: 109
    I’ve just bought a Kask Vallegro with the same mechanism. And the same characteristic. At first it irritated me, but now I think it’s a neat feature. As I mount the helmet the cradle gets pushed up, then when in place I slide it down under the bulge on the back of the skull (I’m sure there’s a medical term for it!) and fine tune the rotary adjuster. The helmet is then very snug and very secure ... which is a good thing.

Phil
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Easiest thing is just not to wear a helmet :)
  • ti_yred
    ti_yred Posts: 52
    Hi mate

I bought a Protone as a crash replacement for my Mojito which fitted very well and was very comfortable so assumed an upgrade would be even better. Tried a couple of sizes in the LBS and settled on the M. The cradle does indeed move in very small increments, usually when I look over my shoulder but after initial concerns about the noise, I'd forgotten about it until I read your thread.

I would say give it a little longer but like a lot of us once we've decided we don't like something, its hard to stick with it...I'm sure most of us have sheds and garages full of 'spares' as a result. I certainly do :D

Tommo
  • Further to my earlier comment I have to agree that it can be a bit annoying. I’ve fixed mine by wrapping and trimming a small zip-tie on the serrated section of the mechanism. It’s not noticeable and can’t be felt and keeps the adjustment stable whatever I do with my head!
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie