*Uh oh* Paint crack/blemish or carbon crack?! [Canyon CF SLX 2018]

efvink
efvink Posts: 13
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi guys. Question. Do you think this is a paint blemish, a paint crack or maybe even a carbon crack?

The 'soundtest' with the coin did nothing. No change in tone what so ever. I'm going for a holiday in France sunday and just discovered this badboy.. Not a very welcome surprise as you can image. Already contacted Canyon and waiting for response. What's your guess?

Schermafbeelding-2019-07-18-om-15-00-09.png
https://ibb.co/bHDbtBr

Schermafbeelding-2019-07-18-om-14-59-49.png
https://ibb.co/RDvhrtt

Schermafbeelding-2019-07-18-om-14-57-25.png
https://ibb.co/twGgN9n

Schermafbeelding-2019-07-18-om-14-57-49.png
https://ibb.co/3B4z7ys

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Looks more like a scratch to me. Not an obvious location for a crack to develop, or for a frame to fail...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's a funny place for paint to crack. No idea how the frame's manufactured, but wonder if that's the point where the BB section meets the seat-tube?
  • efvink
    Yeah also looks like a scratch to me. But somehow I would have expected it to get clean/red in stead of staying black. It doesn't feel like a deep scratch either. Hard to tell
  • Hard to be sure from a pic but it looks like it could be a paint scratch from a bit of dirt/grit when cleaning. If you haven't hosed the bike down prior to cleaning or you get a bit of grit on your sponge/cloth when washing the bike it can cause slight scratch/abrasion in the frame when you wipe it down (hence why such scratches are usually black/grey colour). If it doesn't feel like a deep scratch, just a very slight blemish when you run your finger over it then that would be my guess.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    if you send the bike to me, Ill test it for 6 months. If it breaks as im using it then youll know. If it doesnt then when you get it back thoroughly tested you ride with a tranquil mind.

No problems, my pleasure :)
  • efvink
    if you send the bike to me, Ill test it for 6 months. If it breaks as im using it then youll know. If it doesnt then when you get it back thoroughly tested you ride with a tranquil mind.

Hahaha that is a very reassuring proposal. It would even be better if you were a Persian prince and needed some kind of deposit from me in order for you to test it :lol:
    But I think i get the point.. it's probably nothing. It's been a tiring week so I'm seeing ghosts/cracks.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    efvink wrote:

Hahaha that is a very reassuring proposal. It would even be better if you were a Persian prince and needed some kind of deposit from me in order for you to test it :lol:
    But I think i get the point.. it's probably nothing. It's been a tiring week so I'm seeing ghosts/cracks.

Keep your eyes on it, any creaking grinding noises inspect, put a bit of tape over it so you can see if it expands. I suspect its nothing. but really annoying when that sort of thing happens.
  • efvink
    I've got a reaction from Canyon. They reckon it's a paint crack. Apparently totally safe to use on my holiday. And since there's a 2 year paint warranty on the frame, they'll replace it after my holiday. I do like that service. I've always found it a bit tricky to order a bike from an 'online only' brand. But i must say, they've got answers and solutions faster than my LBS (Specialized dealer) here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Excellent - that's a great resolution.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Excellent - that's a great resolution.