Lachlan Morton - EF Gone (Alternative) Racing

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited September 2019 in Pro race
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I enjoyed following this on their Instagram feed, I will watch this as well. Partly because I have ridden quite a few of these roads and LEJOG is pretty attainable for your average British rider. Some great scenery.

Obviously it wasn't much of a competition because Morton destroyed everyone, but still.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well that was a lot more entertaining than what I'm really meant to be doing on the pc at work. Inspirational stuff.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    What a guy!
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd recommend the three Outskirts films as well (on Thereabouts' YouTube channel). They're longer at around 1hr (first one is a bit shorter at 45, I think).

Gus Morton directs them and they're pretty epic trips. Everyone involved comes across as very down to earth and just wanting to ride their bikes / make memories.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Angus Young's a better rider than you'd imagine
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Angus Young's a better rider than you'd imagine
    It can't be easy to find training time in between AC/DC gigs
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    Just watched it, very enjoyable.

Need to plan a massive bike ride again :)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Great film, Id followed the event to some extent as a local shop (Slam 69) had sponsored the third placed rider.

I did think at a few points though ... he's not really 'alone' though, is he? :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Great film, Id followed the event to some extent as a local shop (Slam 69) had sponsored the third placed rider.

I did think at a few points though ... he's not really 'alone' though, is he? :D
    Well, it was rather a long event. There was quite a lot of self-shot stuff.

If you followed on the map the media guys were on the trackers too (called something like Media Harry and someone else) and he wasnt always with one I noticed. I assumed it was a rider at first :)
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    Lachlan Norton could have ridden over that debris and won today's stage.

#alternativeracing
  • bobmcstuff
    Lachlan Morton came 4th in the 3 Peaks Cyclocross, which is one of the UK's biggest/hardest CX races, and at 61km is a bit different to your typical cross race. Great that it will get the extra attention.

http://live.sportident.co.uk/home/multi ... 0f405f38c1

I don't know if EF will be releasing some videos about it, there are some photos on their Instagram.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Lachlan Morton came 4th in the 3 Peaks Cyclocross, which is one of the UK's biggest/hardest CX races, and at 61km is a bit different to your typical cross race. Great that it will get the extra attention.

http://live.sportident.co.uk/home/multi ... 0f405f38c1

I don't know if EF will be releasing some videos about it, there are some photos on their Instagram.

Those results show you how amazing Nick Craig is.
  • bobmcstuff
    Lachlan is doing a gravel ride from Manchester to Kendal tomorrow, it's open to anyone to sign up but obviously you would need to be rather fit.

Looks like an interesting route.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • That was a really good film in a decent season of films from EF Gone Racing.
  • ddraver
    Man, I didn't realize people went up and down the same track - that seems like unnecessary carnage potential!
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I grew up in a house next to a gravel pit. I learned to ride a bike on crappy gravel paths (if you could call them paths) instead of actual tarmac. I was a hipster before my time and I had some almighty strops about it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2020
    Lachlan Morton won the Badlands self supported ~700km race in southern Spain https://www.transiberica.cc/badlands/

He did it in 1 day 19 hours with only 34 minutes stopped time! Which is absolutely, completely insane.
  • Only used 1/2 his energy as well.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2020
    Also Josh Ibbett won this years' GBDuro, which was an adjusted format this year compared to the one Lachlan Morton won last year, with it being completely self supported. This meant no shops, B&Bs, or indeed any 3rd party assistance at all, even to buy water or use bins, so all equipment and food had to be taken in and all rubbish had to be packed out again.

He completed it in 7 days 17 hours, about 2 days ahead of the nearest competitor (his main pre-event competitor had to pull out)

https://bikepacking.com/plog/josh-ibbett-gbduro-2020/ summary and a cool youtube video on this
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

Only used 1/2 his energy as well.

Was he on an e-bike?
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2020
    Well most of the guys were targeting sub-4 days so I imagine Lachlan may have been planning to be out for a bit longer than he was in the end!

Speaking of energy - Josh Ibbett's pre-GBDuro video - he has two front fork bags with 14,000 calories each in or something equally bonkers...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Was aware the GBDuro was going on but didn't dotwatch it. This zero support thing makes me go 'why?'. How far do you take that? Bog roll? Excreta? Wot goz in gotta cum out.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2020
    orraloon said:

Was aware the GBDuro was going on but didn't dotwatch it. This zero support thing makes me go 'why?'. How far do you take that? Bog roll? Excreta? Wot goz in gotta cum out.

Well this year it was partly to do with coronavirus. Previously it's been unsupported in that you don't have a team car or whatever but you can use shops etc..

Bog roll and poo are biodegradable... You'd just do what you would normally do wild camping and bury it...
  • ddraver
    If I'm honest, it did seem like one of the more silly CV rules around...
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/stories/the-alt-tour

Morton is riding the Tour unsupported including all transfers etc., raising money for World Bicycle Relief. He's currently a bit ahead of the peloton, on the transfer to the next stage.

An interview: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/interview-lachlan-morton-on-the-gear-and-motivation-behind-his-alt-tour/
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    Legend.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    After the opening three days, he might have some unexpected company tomorrow.
  • bobmcstuff
    andyp said:

After the opening three days, he might have some unexpected company tomorrow.

Yeah I was just thinking I'd rather be doing what he's doing than crashing my way round France.