TDF 2019, Stage 12: Toulouse > Bagnères-de-Bigorre 18/07/2019 - 209,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Toulouse > Bagnères-de-Bigorre 18/07/2019 - Stage 12 - 209,5 km

At 209.5 kilometres, the Tour de France serves its first high altitude stage on the 12th day of action. Following the start in Toulouse the riders head into the Pyrenees for a race with a downhill finish in Bagnères-de-Bigorre.

stage-12-route.jpg

he last time Bagnères-de-Bigorre was included as a stage finish on the Tour de France was in 2013. The race led over the Col de Portet-d’Aspet, Col de Menté, Col de Peyresourde, Col de Val Louron-Azet and La Hourquette d’Ancizan before ending with a descent of 30 kilometres. Daniel Martin bested Jakob Fuglsang in a two-up sprint, while the GC-contenders finished 29 seconds behind.
The 12th stage of the 2019 Tour de France is not as tough as that race.

c57fe

Following the start in Toulouse the route travels on flat to rolling roads for more than 120 kilometres before the first mountain appears. Along the route there are several towns that hold a long association with the Tour.

Km 85

Saint-Gaudens (Pop: 11,700)
St Gaudens hosted 14 Tour de France stages with victories by such Tour de France greats as Gino Bartali (1950), Charly Gaul (1955), André Darrigade (1959) or Luis Ocana (1970). The last time the Tour came to town was in 2014 for the start of a stage won by Rafal Majka in Pla d’Adet.

8c54f

Km 129.5

Bagnères-de-Luchon (Pop: 2,700)
Its ideal position at the foot of the great Pyrenees mountain passes allowed Bagneres-de-Luchon to host the Tour de France 55 times, a record for a town of this size. The spa town made the Tour history as early as 1910 when it hosted the first two high-mountain stages in the history of the race. Both were won by Octave Lapize, the eventual Tour winner.

The Col de Peyresourde (13.2 kilometres at 7%) is crested at kilometre 138 and the riders plunge down to the valley.

Tour-de-France-2013-stage-9-climb-details-Col-de-Peyresourde.jpg

Up next is La Hourquette d’Ancizan, which is a 9.9 kilometres climb at 7.5%. The first three riders at its crest earn bonus seconds (8, 5 and 2) before the race ends with the same 30 kilometres downhill as five years ago.

stage-12-hourquette-d-ancizan.jpg?01

The 2008 Tour de France also saw a stage from Toulouse to Bagnères-de-Bigorre. Featuring the Col de Peyresourde and the Col d’Aspin, the race ended with a descent to the finish. Riccardo Riccò soloed to the win. We all know what happened next!

2d531

Favourites 12th stage 2019 Tour de France

Aficionados of downhill finales are treated in the 12th stage. To win the race you have to be a good climber and dito descender. Arguably, the stage is likely to see the breakaway succeed. With no rider on board who is high ranked on GC, the route is tailor-made for the attackers to build an advantage that allows its members to decide the day’s honours between them. The best climbers will put each other to the test on La Hourquette d’Ancizan and, if necessary, in the downhill. The first part is steepest, so best suited to open up a gap, while the final kilometres are virtually flat.

*** Vincenzo Nibali, Thomas De Gendt, Tim Wellens, Warren Barguil
** Julian Alaphilippe, Alejandro Valverde, Romain Bardet, Dylan Teuns
* Mikel Landa, Adam Yates, Egan Bernal, Geraint Thomas, Thibaut Pinot, Matej Mohorič

Bagnères-de-Bigorre
11 previous stages

Population: 7,970 and 18,300 in the 25 communes of Haute-Bigorre.
A little less frequently visited by the Tour than its namesake of Luchon, the spa town of Bigorre has nonetheless crowned big names like Raphael Geminiani, winner of the first stage held in the city in 1952, or his protégé Jacques Anquetil, eleven years later in 1963. In 1952, "Gem" had won the day after a rest day, as he had previously done in Gap in 1950. The "Grand Rifle" never trained on days off, preferring to spend time with his wife. The method proved effective... The victory of Anquetil was particularly significant for the Norman as it was his first success in a mountain stage, and his first in a bunch stage since 1957!

c575a

Subsequently used primarily as a launch-pad for Pyrenean stages, Bagneres-de-Bigorre hosted two more finishes in 2008 and 2013, when Dan Martin won at the expense of Jakob Fuglsang the year of his victory in Liège-Bastogne-Liège.
It was in Bagnères-de-Bigorre that Laurent Fignon set up a centre dedicated to cycling.

d0275

Specialties: garbure,

adobestock_95862305.jpeg?poix=50&poiy=50

Bigorre black pork,

xl_11041_noir-de-bigorre-finedininglovers-TP.jpg

Trébons AOP onion, spit cake, pie, Madiran wine (AOC)

maxresdefault.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    And now we get the chance to admire some Pyrenean horses. For mountain horses well they're going to be in the grupetto...

14854130639_ff371c9fb5_b.jpg

(To be fair this is actually two horses)

Then there are our bovine friends...

p1030187.jpg?w=444&h=666
    Correlation is not causation.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Great shots Blazing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    One of those nightmare PTP stages. Will the GC contenders take it easy with there being a long descent off the final climb and the TT coming up allowing a break to take it? If so who from the usual suspects has still got the legs for it? If the GC contenders do race the final climb who is quickest in a sprint and how far back would someone need to be for them to be allowed to attack on the descent? Classic LLS stage in days gone by or Nibali now if he has better legs than he has been letting on. Other potential contenders are likely to be on team duty e.g. Valverde or Kwia. Stick a pin in the start list and hope you don't pick one of the sprinters is my only idea!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    One for Nibali ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Alaphillippe to do a Froome from 80% up the first climb and catch the peloton napping, takes 2 minutes out of Thomas and becomes a serious GC possibility :-) ?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    larkim wrote:
    Alaphillippe to do a Froome from 80% up the first climb and catch the peloton napping, takes 2 minutes out of Thomas and becomes a serious GC possibility :-) ?

Absolutely.

If Ineos were a French team...
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I think we are all over thinking it...

It's the first serious mountain stage in the Tour, therefore the GC candidates will animate it.
    Half man, Half bike
  • FocusZing
    Ridgerider wrote:

It's the first serious mountain stage in the Tour, therefore the GC candidates will animate it.

Yeah, it should be good today especially with the TT tomorrow. Stage six was a real kicker too which Dan and a few of the other riders said could be the toughest day.
  • How far back is Nibali, time wise? Enough that he’d be allowed to go?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ridgerider wrote:

It's the first serious mountain stage in the Tour, therefore the GC candidates' teams will choke the life out of it.

FTFY
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Ridgerider wrote:

Thomas says otherwise. Bluffing or out of his control?
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    larkim wrote:

I think the only thing Alaphilippe will be thinking about today is expending as little energy as possible to stay in contention so that he can possibly hold on to the yellow jersey through the TT tomorrow.
  • How far back is Nibali, time wise? Enough that he’d be allowed to go?

Yes, nearly 17 minutes. I think it's likely he'll have a go. Hopefully taking my boy Ciccone with him.
    Mohoric?
  • blazing_saddles
    How far back is Nibali, time wise? Enough that he’d be allowed to go?

Yes, nearly 17 minutes. I think it's likely he'll have a go. Hopefully taking my boy Ciccone with him.
    Mohoric?

He'll certainly be eyeing up that downhill. Nobody quicker.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

c57fe

The profile has something of this top fish about it...

Examples-of-hybodontiform-sharks-Hybodus-A-E-and-Lissodus-F-J-A-Life-reconstruction.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Fuglsang deserves a star or two here. He's got a lot of time to make up, which will only look worse after the tt. He's a decent descender and can punch out a reasonable attack over the top.
    My money would be on Alaphilippe though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    My prediction

the GC contenders will keep it under control; if any second tier GC riders or break aways go they will let them. Theres plenty of time in the mountains to come and a time trial tomorrow.

Nice viewing not a decisive day.

Very very happy to be proved wrong

Im very glad weve got rid of long time trials that suit riders who'd otherwise be nowhere like when wiggins won.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Ineos to control strong pace on final climb ..ride cautious on descent limiting small loses from daredevil descenders ... Smash the TT next day,.. maybe bernal takes a flyer over the top if they are feeling aggressive.

If they are left to it.

Counter move is for Astana and or movistar to ramp it up on the peyresoude and smash the ineos train early though isolating themselves in the meantime. If movistar/Astana get riders in the break to support a early attack by having guys to bridge too we will see the intent. Risky cos it can backfire. But they have to do something.

Jumbo? Follow best they can.

DQS are the new factor. If they ride to defend early it helps out ineos a lot.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FocusZing
    I'm not dipping my toes in the sea with anything substantial, but I do predict soggy chips!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    We're Groupama fit in I don't know they are tactically boxed in. Thou they can just follow and wait.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Brother Gorka has a bit of a spill in the neutral zone.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Ineos to control strong pace on final climb ..ride cautious on descent limiting small loses from daredevil descenders ... Smash the TT next day,.. maybe bernal takes a flyer over the top if they are feeling aggressive.

If they are left to it.

Counter move is for Astana and or movistar to ramp it up on the peyresoude and smash the ineos train early though isolating themselves in the meantime. If movistar/Astana get riders in the break to support a early attack by having guys to bridge too we will see the intent. Risky cos it can backfire. But they have to do something.

Agree. Don't see the prevailing logic that everyone will be saving themselves for TT.
    Attack Ineos today and take the risk, otherwise there will be only 3rd place on the podium up for grabs in Paris.
  • No easy getaway for a break today then...
  • I think the GC hopefuls with big gaps should try something today but it would have to be something pretty special to escape the clutches of Ineos. Would like nothing more than to see 2 or 3 teams get together and have a real go at cracking them. Can't see it though - too early in the race; conservative, risk-averse thinking prevails it seems for most DS's.
  • Alejandrosdog

Id like to see that. it might be a launch pad for Bernal. which thomas might be under orders to support later.. but will Bernal fall apart at the end? will thomas be wasted in support of the doomed bid for yellow. Can valverde find himself in yellow!

ok maybe not valverde
  • Alejandrosdog
    EPC06 wrote:

If they are left to it.

Agree. Don't see the prevailing logic that everyone will be saving themselves for TT.
    Attack Ineos today and take the risk, otherwise there will be only 3rd place on the podium up for grabs in Paris.

which team can get in yellow today and keep it through the very hilly final? If i were ineos id keep the powder dry and leave the yellow jersey elsewhere for a few days. Unless something very odd happens.
  • Sagan goes for a 190km solo :mrgreen:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Attempts to get a break going away failing time after time as teams not in it chase it down. Feels like a group containing riders from at least eight teams will need to give it a go before they're given any room.

As for the GC mobs, there was talk about Ineos looking a little weaker than usual on the Plank (although talk also of riders saving energy) with Thomas and Bernal isolated early. I can see a few teams giving it a bit of a go just to see if there's any weakness there.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    Attempts to get a break going away failing time after time as teams not in it chase it down. Feels like a group containing riders from at least eight teams will need to give it a go before they're given any room.

As for the GC mobs, there was talk about Ineos looking a little weaker than usual on the Plank (although talk also of riders saving energy) with Thomas and Bernal isolated early. I can see a few teams giving it a bit of a go just to see if there's any weakness there.

The Lovely Girls Plank sounds like something from Eurotrash
  • They're gonna be all together until the bottom of the Peyresourde at this rate