Is my bike kaput after chain snap?

hostman
hostman Posts: 104
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hey folks,

I'm lucky to be alive ... damn chain snapped 3 miles from home, ripped off the rear derailleur and looks like its taken some of the carbon with it off the frame. Thankfully it wasn't on a downhill, I was able to keep control, just about!

Some pics below, whats the general view on this being fixable, or not? A new rear derailleur at the minimum, if it is fixable.

XGsOxrf.jpg

NmD6G0A.jpg

paHg2c2.jpg

hbKy37q.jpg

I bought the bike in 2013, (Boardman Pro Carbon), overtime replaced some bits, the wheels were replaced under warranty after a failure 2 years in, front mech was replaced last year, several cable replacements, chains etc in that time.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You need a new rear derailleur hanger, which is frame specific, but not particularly expensive.

You also need a new rear derailleur and chain.

Frame looks fine to me, but you'll want to keep an eye on the area to see if any further damage becomes apparent. The point of the derailleur hanger is that it is sacrificial - it breaks so that your frame doesn't.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TimothyW wrote:
    You need a new rear derailleur hanger, which is frame specific, but not particularly expensive.

You also need a new rear derailleur and chain.

Frame looks fine to me, but you'll want to keep an eye on the area to see if any further damage becomes apparent. The point of the derailleur hanger is that it is sacrificial - it breaks so that your frame doesn't.

From what i can see here Timothy is bang on correct. Expect to pay £15-£20 for the hanger.

However, check out the rust on your skewers and hubs!
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    hbKy37q.jpg

Did the chain actually fail at the quick link? It looks bent in the photo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What they said. New mech hanger, RD and chain and you should be back on the road.

If the chain did indeed part company at that quick-link, was it properly clicked into place / locked when it was installed?

Or did the chain over shift the biggest sprocket and into the spokes which then caused the mech and chain to be destroyed?

Only chain I've ever actually broken was a cheap Chinese job on the £50 BSO which got me back into cycling.
    I did once have a KMC quick-link fall to bits when I was soaking a chain in white spirit. I'd possibly reused it once too often; think my testicles lost one of their 9 lives that day...
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    On this matter, are all chains the same, asking as I don't know, are more expensive one worth it

Thanks
  • keef66
    I'd say they are all pretty much the same mechanically.
    As you pay more you get (small) weight savings from slotted side plates and hollow pins, possibly slicker / quieter shifting because of profiled side plates, and perhaps a bit of wear and corrosion resistance from more sophisticated plating / surface treatments, but it is very much diminishing returns.

I generally use Shimano chains on my Shimano drivetrains but with KMC quick links
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You can get shimano quick links also nowadays. Do replace them when you replace the chain though (or at least every other chain) otherwise they will fail eventually....
  • hostman
    TimothyW wrote:

However, check out the rust on your skewers and hubs!

Prior to this I was considering buying some new wheels :)
  • hostman
    keef66 wrote:
    What they said. New mech hanger, RD and chain and you should be back on the road.

If the chain did indeed part company at that quick-link, was it properly clicked into place / locked when it was installed?

Or did the chain over shift the biggest sprocket and into the spokes which then caused the mech and chain to be destroyed?

Only chain I've ever actually broken was a cheap Chinese job on the £50 BSO which got me back into cycling.
    I did once have a KMC quick-link fall to bits when I was soaking a chain in white spirit. I'd possibly reused it once too often; think my testicles lost one of their 9 lives that day...

What I think happened is ... one of the link plates gave way, this perhaps buckled the chain causing some jamming on the sprocket, the force of which ripped off the derailiuer and then completely snapped at the quicklink. I used a quicklink tool to lock it in place originally, sure as I can be it was locked in place correctly prior to this. It's a KMC X10 chain.

I never realised how many hanger types there are!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Last year on the winter bike my chain snapped and did the same as yours, plus the front mech. As its 27 speed, the bits were cheap (had to 'downgrade' Tiagra to Sora - its probably better).
    Think my KMC chain was £11, it's still on and perfect.
    A £45 chain isnt 3 times better than a £15 :)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    If the chain failed after long use then you may find the new one skips on the old cassette, in which case this might need changing too (although from the pic it looks like this is newish).

When you ask if all chains are the same, I assume you are going to use another 10 speed?
  • keef66
    https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.u ... n?limit=24

411 or 419 look likely candidates based on shape and having 3 holes for the mounting screws in your photo.

The 147 which says Team Carbon 2012-2014 only has 2 mounting holes.

You can always email BETD; they are based in Stoke
  • keef66
  • david7m
    keef66 wrote:

Strava have a Challenge - £10 off at Halfords for 5 rides over 30 mins I think. Not long left on it, but it will capture previous rides.
  • hostman
    I'm not 100% convinced it's either the 411 or 419 hanger. I've taken it off the bike this evening, see below:

ZL8Scza.jpg?1

gjJj8HX.jpg?1
  • david7m
    edited July 2019
    It needs to be a lot more hooked than that.
    Look at the markings from skewer, should be round :)
  • Alejandrosdog
    Deleted as wrong info
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    this may sound silly, but why not just go to Halfords and ask them if they have one/to order you one rather than go through 7,000 pages of hangers on the internet?

#confused
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    hostman wrote:
    I'm not 100% convinced it's either the 411 or 419 hanger. I've taken it off the bike this evening, see below:

Your crime scene reconstruction needs more work. Look at the marks made by the QR around the dropout. Try to match them up so they are circular. Then you'll probably find the third mounting screw hole which is missing from your jigsaw. Looks like that was the point of failure and the metal around it has been distorted as the mech was ripped off, so don't expect a perfect match.
  • Alejandrosdog
    this may sound silly, but why not just go to Halfords and ask them if they have one/to order you one rather than go through 7,000 pages of hangers on the internet?

#confused

#tooeasy that's why :)

or ring Boardman bikes and ask them which one to get.

+44 (0) 1527 505 616
  • david7m
    I've linked the right one.

Think he wants a new bike :lol:
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Bike is a write off.
    However, carbon-fibre can be difficult to dispose of so if you post it to me at your cost I will get risd of it for you. You will need to send the whole bike as the rest will now be contaminated with dangerous carbon-fibre dust.
  • hostman

#confused

#tooeasy that's why :)

or ring Boardman bikes and ask them which one to get.

+44 (0) 1527 505 616

I e-mailed them last night ;)

All others parts I need have been delivered this morning, I e-mailed betd last night who have responded this morning suggesting 411 or 419, as already indicated in the thread. I'll order both and see how it goes.
  • hostman
    keef66 wrote:
    hostman wrote:

Your crime scene reconstruction needs more work. Look at the marks made by the QR around the dropout. Try to match them up so they are circular. Then you'll probably find the third mounting screw hole which is missing from your jigsaw. Looks like that was the point of failure and the metal around it has been distorted as the mech was ripped off, so don't expect a perfect match.

Yes I took some better shots, see below:

alMedPO.jpg
  • hostman
    Bike is a write off.
    However, carbon-fibre can be difficult to dispose of so if you post it to me at your cost I will get risd of it for you. You will need to send the whole bike as the rest will now be contaminated with dangerous carbon-fibre dust.

:roll:
  • hostman
    david7m wrote:
    I've linked the right one.

Think he wants a new bike :lol:

I do, but not until later in the year ;)
  • hostman

#confused

I like to figure out this kind of stuff myself! Having never needed to buy a replacement hanger I've now learnt a few new details! Seems to be the way with bikes, since buying my first road bike in 2012 (mangled in 2014 after a taxi drove in to me!) new details come to light as old bits fail over time, a new tool required, a new how to youtube video watched etc.
  • hostman
    DERAILLEUR HANGER 411 did the job, from betd :)

Bike back together, new hanger, new shimano 105 rear derailleur, new chain, new rear gear cable, new bar tape while I was at it!

However ... rear wheel is not true, suspect caused by derailleur and chain jamming in the spokes when the chain snapped, see vid: https://imgur.com/a/2NCkP4v

Looks like new wheel time to me ?