No basic free options for software??

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
I've just spent a small fortune on a Kickr but, being tight, am not happy to sign up to Zwift etc yet. Partly it's as I don't need it with this weather but I'm also not sure what would be the best package for me and what IT kit I'll have. Good to give the Kickr ago though.

I just assumed there would be loads of, maybe not all singing and dancing but, decent free things to run a smart trainer with. At the very least I thought Wahoo would provide one. Seems not though.

What's out there? Ideally on Android I guess as I could just leave an old phone on it.

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    You get 25Km to use on Zwift for free each month and in my experience you can continue the ride that takes you past the 25Km threshold, although you may have the view of the scenery and the riders covered by a big notice saying your trial has expired.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/ is still in free open beta as far as I'm aware, some nice hill climb courses such as Mont Ventoux and Stelvio Pass. However, they had a radical change of software setup a few months back, you now need a device to run the app on while using another device like your Android mobile as a remote control, IMO it's not as good as it was.

There was a recent Bkool challenge on Strava, giving you a discount off their app.

https://virtugo.com/ is no longer free, less courses than RGT, but has a good range of ERG training sessions. Think it's £5pcm.

IIRC, Wahoo recently announced that they bought Sufferfest https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/07/wah ... plans.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Tacx app lets you ride your own slope, ftp or hr rides and also has a limited selection of free VR rides like Central park, they also had a free trial
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bkool - you get a month free trial (you have to sign up and give payment details but can cancel any time).

Wahoo have just bought sufferfest so it won't be long before there is developments with that.
  • itboffin
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Maximum Trainer is opensource and free to use.
    PC and Mac only
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    You just bought a KICKR. Don't be tight, sign up to something and pay.

You get a free trial on Zwift and also FulGaz (real life routes) so you can test them out and see which you like the best. Sufferfest is awesome for actual training. RGT is still free and is alright but not great.

CVRCade is free ..... :lol::lol::lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've just spent a small fortune on a Kickr but, being tight...

I've never understood this kind of thing. Why buy an expensive smart trainer if you're not prepared to stump up for the software to get the best experience from it?

Bit like buying a Porsche but never driving it faster than 30mph because you can't afford the fuel, or the latest scuba gear and then only taking it to the local swimming pool because you don't want to shell out on a trip to the Seychelles...

Would you not have been better off paying less for the turbo so you could then afford Zwift or the like?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I just use a cheapo Taxx trainer and stick the resistance to 4 like the manual says, it's not like I'm serious about it and cancel in the summer anyway.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I've just spent a small fortune on a Kickr but, being tight, am not happy to sign up to Zwift etc yet. Partly it's as I don't need it with this weather but I'm also not sure what would be the best package for me and what IT kit I'll have. Good to give the Kickr ago though.

I just assumed there would be loads of, maybe not all singing and dancing but, decent free things to run a smart trainer with. At the very least I thought Wahoo would provide one. Seems not though.

What's out there? Ideally on Android I guess as I could just leave an old phone on it.
    Who is going to develop this type of software for free? The answer is not many which is why there aren't many free options. People like getting paid for their work.
  • londoncommuter
    Thanks for all the comments but some miss the point. I'm not ready yet to think about structured training like TrainerRoad and am not fussed by the video game that is Zwift. For now, I just wanted something to run the turbo at least as well as a crappy hotel spinbike.

Just thought Wahoo would provide something for free that wasn't dreadful. Perversely the Tacx app looks an option maybe?

As a bit on an update, I just got an iPad Mini 2 so this might widen my options (doh, just noticed the Tacx App needs a ipad3 or above - stupid question but does that also mean an ipad mini 3? Clueless with Apple things).
  • nogs
    nogs Posts: 5
    The iOS Wahoo Fitness app allows you to control resistance on a kicker.

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/fitness-apps/

Free. The page also lists a number of other apps but most will be pay driven.

Should probably install the utility app as well to check for firmware updates
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    As above - wahoo do have an app that allows you to control the trainer.

It is hardly worth them spending loads of money developing anything more than that when lots of better options already exist.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • londoncommuter
    Chris Bass wrote:

Watching the video though (around 2 mins 10) it seems to be completely manual. Is that right? I just wanted it to follow a few basic routines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96GX4SsM0l4&vl=en
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Based on what the OP said, personally I would sign up to the free X no of days on Zwift, let that expire, sign up to the free Y days of Virtugo, let that expire, then Rouvy, then Sufferfest, then Fulgaz etc. until you've tried them all.

That will keep you going till winter when you will know which one you like the best and can sign up and pay for that.

Or alternatively, just use RGT which is still free for good...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    depending on what bike computer you have got you can also use that to control your trainer - or at least I can with my garmin edge 1000 and tacx/elite trainers.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    Chris Bass wrote:

Watching the video though (around 2 mins 10) it seems to be completely manual. Is that right? I just wanted it to follow a few basic routines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96GX4SsM0l4&vl=en

I don't know about the Wahoo app, but the Tacx one lets you create structured workouts, controlling the trainer in ERG mode, for free.
    I don't know if it only works with Tacx trainers, or any.
    The Windows app only connects to bluetooth HRM and cadence sensors. However, the Android app can connect to ANT+ sensors (natively in the case of many Samsung phones).
  • itboffin
    Another option is use your fav cycle computer to record the time, cadence HR etc and just watch TV movies or YouTube cycling

For longer sessions I watch things like the classic races or mountain stages
  • ajcosta1
    ajcosta1 Posts: 4
    Hello, i am developing an app that was a simulator for turbo trainers, it will be free during some years. I train in it during last half year for testing and development, now is in beta version and have 4 roads to ride.
    Everyone can use it for free, add new tracks around their homes or ride in the ones shared by other users
  • bvduck
    bvduck Posts: 44
    I just assumed there would be loads of, maybe not all singing and dancing but, decent free things to run a smart trainer with. At the very least I thought Wahoo would provide one. Seems not though. What's out there?.

Hey LC -- David from The Sufferfest, here. App development is pretty expensive. And the market is pretty competitive, so there really isn't much out there that's free and which you'll really get any results from. Having said that, most of us have free trials and are extremely reasonably priced for the value we deliver. Here at The Sufferfest, we provide a 7-day free trial so you can see what we're all about. This page gives you an overview of cost of all the major players: https://gplama.com/cycling-software-pricing-guide/
    David McQuillen, Chief Suffering Officer
    http://www.thesufferfest.com
    @thesufferfest
    58585 Posts: 207
    As above you can use the wahoo app, but it's not exactly unlocking the benfits of a smart trainer.
    Golden Cheetah is another good free option, you can programme workouts at least which is really all you need unless you are prepared to pay for something more immersive.

It's a fair point not wanting to rush into a subscription during the summer months, I tried a few different options and ended up coming back to zwift which ticks all the boxes now (certainly not just a game) but I stop my subscription when summer comes round.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I was going to suggest Sufferfest, however it won't appeal to everyone. Zwift has the most engaging "interface" but I find the workouts aren't as good as others.

When i last looked Sufferfest worked out less than £7 a month if you buy the 12 month sub.
    Coincidentally you can get the 12 month Zwift sub for ~£130 with discount codes/discounts online (There are 7 on eBay now for £100 too)