Solutions to creaking BB - Praxis?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I developed a creak and slight movement in the BB on my Orro frame. Its a Campag Chorus UT set up with a PF30 BB. Having needed to use a fair bit of force to get the cups out to inspect, I have damaged them and need to replace. Obviously I'd prefer to eliminate the creaking issue first time so have looked at the various solutions/alternatives to the Campag of which the Praxis replacement unit appears the best value. The reviews on the Sigma page are good although there's a follow-up which suggests it's not perfect.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Praxis ... acket/7JSV

Should I go for the Praxis or has anyone got another good value/foolproof solution. Or shall I just try again with Campag cups and use loctite?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I use a Praxis BB30 conversion.
    100% rock solid bottom bracket on the CAAD.
    I cant say about other frames though.
    Even with the actual BB30 setup that went thru some hard seasons, the CAAD never developed any hint of creak or movement.
  • heavymental
    JGSI wrote:
    Even with the actual BB30 setup that went thru some hard seasons, the CAAD never developed any hint of creak or movement.

Thanks JGSI, why did you use the Praxis in the first place?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    My LBS put a new 105 groupset on my CAAD10 and used a praxis converter - I've had no issues at all.
  • jgsi
    JGSI wrote:

Thanks JGSI, why did you use the Praxis in the first place?

Bought a 4iiii crankset that was Praxis.
  • heavymental
    Ugh, installed the Praxis yesterday and rode 20 miles today. Creaking already. Back to the drawing board... so damn frustrating.
  • jgsi
    Ugh, installed the Praxis yesterday and rode 20 miles today. Creaking already. Back to the drawing board... so damn frustrating.

That is disappointing.
    Is your Praxis a screwfit?
  • heavymental
    JGSI wrote:

That is disappointing.
    Is your Praxis a screwfit?

I bought one of these https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/ It fitted in nice and tightly and I can't feel any play in the cranks. Makes me wonder if it's something else but I think it must be the BB.

Just watching this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryhuHkbb-o
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Maybe a bit late to the party but C-Bear also do a PF30 replacement BB for Campag UT cranks

https://www.bike24.com/p2242794.html

Not cheap but if your Praxis one is NBG then there is an alternative
  • heavymental
    arlowood wrote:
    Maybe a bit late to the party but C-Bear also do a PF30 replacement BB for Campag UT cranks

https://www.bike24.com/p2242794.html

Not cheap but if your Praxis one is NBG then there is an alternative

Thanks. Yeh I’d probably get a Hambini if I was going to throw more money at it but the bext try will be to douse it in loctite.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My wheels manufacturing screw-in BB30 is not creak free either.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    joey54321 wrote:
    My wheels manufacturing screw-in BB30 is not creak free either.

Mine is

but then in all the years ive used bb30 and then pf30 ive never had a creak unless the bearings were shot.

Ive also fitted all the bearings in that time carefully myself. maybe thats just luck. i also clean the bikes regularly and every month or so whip out the cranks, clean everything up check the relevant bits on it are properly tight clean and free of crud apply a little grease and re assemble.

im using the Wheelsmfg outboard conversion at the moment because its a far neater solution than those hideous delrin spacers and use shimano cranks currently.

im sure there are lots of people with creaks due to mfring tolerances so im lucky in that respect. Im equally sure there are loads of people with improperly pressed or assembled bearings and cups or dry or gritty cranks or lose/ dirty spiders or chainring bolts that have creaks that maybe they dont need to have.

just observations not accusations.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. Every thread like this I thank my lucky stars that my one experience with a factory fitted shimano PF BB has been a completely silent one.

I can imagine it's purgatory having your pride and joy creaking with every pedal stroke and you're unable to fix it :(
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    I have a SRAM PF30 BB with FSA 386 Evo Crankset with the wavey washer spacer. About every 4 months or so it starts to creak like a "nnnnneeeeeep- nnnnneeeeeep-nnnnneeeeeep-" every revolution. I strip it down, wipe all the old grease out and regrease. Put back together and it is quiet again. Bearings seem very smooth when I examine them in the BB. I think it is the plastic "Top Hat" spacers on the crank spindle that moan. Stupid idea. Whoever thought of that?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• heavymental
    One thing that was suspicious is that the sound seemed to be the same as before despite it being a whole new unit. I've dropped it off with my mate/mechanic with instruction to try a different wheel in it as I thought maybe it was a freehub problem or something. At least it'd be useful to rule that out. I'm praying he tells me that a different wheel ran silently and we can blame the freehub.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    clean, grease, replace worn bearings if any, ride and enjoy the smooth peace.

Repeat regularly
  • heavymental
    I forgot to update this. It turns out that the rear freehub wasn't tightened properly so was causing the noise! The Praxis seems to be fine after a good few miles. No problems.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I forgot to update this. It turns out that the rear freehub wasn't tightened properly so was causing the noise! The Praxis seems to be fine after a good few miles. No problems.

loads of bottom bracket problems are something else. The inside freehub bearing is a menace for sure
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411

The result of my PF30 creak!!! :s

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.