TDF 2019: Stage 11, Albi > Toulouse 17/07/2019 - 167 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Albi > Toulouse 17/07/2019 - Stage 11 - 167 km

Following the first rest day, the Tour de France continues with stage 11 from Albi to Toulouse. The 167 kilometres route meanders through the south of France towards the backdrop of the Pyrenees. The roads are gently rolling though, so a bunch sprint is by far the most likely outcome.

stage-11-route.jpg

Albi is the hometown of Lilian Calmejane, solo winner at Les Rousses in the Tour 2017. The Tour never goes far from Toulouse but it has not actually finished in the city since 2008. Following a rain-soaked race, the sprint teams finished off the escape at 3.5 kilometres out before Mark Cavendish sprinted to his second-ever stage win on the Tour de France.
The biggest hurdles on the way from Albi to Toulouse are situated in the first half of the race. And these are not exactly Alpe d’Huez material. One is 3.6 kilometres at 4.9% and the other 2.5 kilometres at 3.8%.

237f7

Toulouse was a Tour town in the first 'Grande Boucle' of 1903, then in 1908, Lucien Petit-Breton won a stage there before conquering his second Tour as did Gino Bartali in 1948.
The finish is near the Capitole de Toulouse in the city centre. As the route features only two moderate climbs in the first half of the course, the enormous building is likely to see a sprint finish at its doorsteps.

5a924

Favourites 11th stage 2019 Tour de France

The day after the rest day should be easy going. Arguably, it is one of the most straightforward stages of this year’s Tour de France. GC riders will be tested in the following days, while the Toulouse finish is the last sprinters’ opportunity for a week.

*** Dylan Groenewegen, Elia Viviani, Caleb Ewan
** Peter Sagan, Michael Matthews, Alexander Kristoff
* Giacomo Nizzolo, Mike Teunissen, Jasper Stuyven, Jasper Philipsen, Sonny Colbrelli

Albi
12 previous stages

Population: 51,153. 83,000 in the 17 municipalities of the agglomeration
Since the classification of the Episcopal City of Albi as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, the city's tourist attendance has increased by about 25% and allows the city to receive more than 1.2 million visitors a year.
The Episcopal City of Albi presents a complete and representative ensemble of this type of urban development in Europe, from the Middle Ages to the modern and contemporary times. Its monumental and urban elements are complementary and well preserved, in subtle agreements of tones and pace through the widespread use of the fairground brick. It bears witness to the simultaneously defensive and spiritual program implemented by the Roman bishops, following the eradication of the heresy of the Albigenses or Cathars in the 13th century. The Sainte-Cécile cathedral is the most remarkable monumental symbol, in a unique southern Gothic architectural style, completed in the 15th-16th centuries by a systematic painted interior decoration, a choir and a late-Gothic statuary. The exceptional value of the city is finally expressed by a well-preserved and authentically medieval landscape. (UNESCO notice)

Cod Cassoulet
Recipe by Chef Antoine Caramelli from Le Lautrec Restaurant

This cod cassoulet of Good Friday is a very old dish and typical of the region. It was served on lean days or days of funeral. Dried sea-fish (cod and herring) was often found (far from the sea shores) in the plate of peasants who could not afford the luxury of eating river fish. During Lent, the clergy recommended to abstain from eating meat. But fresh fish was expensive and peasants turned to salted cod.

france-tarn-albi-restaurant-le-lautrec-cassoulet-de-morue-P2MYFX.jpg

Toulouse

26 previous stages

Prefecture of Haute-Garonne

Population: 487,170. 762,960. for the 37 municipalities of Toulouse Métropole.
The Tour has not actually finished in the city since 2008. It still landed twice in Blagnac, site of the city airport, in 2012 and in 2017. Or in Cugnaux in 2011 and in Muret in 2015, two cities located in the urban area of ​​the “pink city”. 2008 was the year of the revelation of Mark Cavendish, who won i the second of his thirty victories on the Tour. The Mannish rider had opened his meter three days earlier in Chateauroux. The terrain is indeed favourable for sprinters, and it is not surprising to find the names of Rik Van Steenbergen, Andre Darrigade or Jacques Esclassan among the stage winners near Place du Capitole. But it was also in a bunch sprint that the most prestigious stage winner in Toulouse, Gino Bartali, won in 1948.

301de

On the map of the inaugural Tour of 1903, the city had from 1909 been snubbed by the race for thirty years. Henri Desgrange was bored to death during the stage won in 1909 by Jean Alavoine and decided to ignore Toulouse and head for the Pyrenees to make the race more exciting! The idea paid off.
There are countless riders born in Toulouse, but the best known are probably Jean-Christophe Péraud, second in the 2014 Tour or Frederic Moncassin, winner of two stages in 1996. Sylvain Marcailllou, 5th of the 1937 Tour, as well as Christian Chaubet or Robert Forest in the 80s, also represented Toulouse on the roads of the Tour. In the current peloton, Toulouse's Anthony Perez made his debut in 2018.

Le Capitole
In Toulouse, no town hall, but a majestic Capitol! An emblematic building, it houses the town hall, a theatre and ceremonial rooms where the city's celebrities meet. The site of municipal power since its construction, decided by the Capitouls in the 12th century, transformed and embellished throughout history, the Capitol deploys its majestic neoclassical facade on the inevitable square of the same name. Its walls tell the great moments of Toulouse's history: from the Albigensian period to the creation of the Floral Games, from the counts of Toulouse to the city's siege. Upstairs magnificent reception rooms are adorned with the allegories of Love by Paul Gervais, ten giant paintings by Henri Martin, the most famous of then being Salle des Illustres (Room of the Illustrious), displaying paintings tracing the history of Toulouse and the busts of the personalities that marked the city.

1004b

Specialties: foie gras,

s485301470951794469_p27_i1_w1024.jpeg

cassoulet, Toulouse sausage.

676_1_.jpg

Violet (flower, candy, perfume). 5 starred restaurants.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Thought you would have gone in heavier with the Cassoulet - my all time favourite and will make any drizzly cold night bearable

cassoulet.jpg?itok=b9TwB3uO
  • Any forecast of wind? :mrgreen:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I really like the old shots. That photo has so much character, it looks like a challenge/adventure.
  • Gaillac has some very good wine.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    FocusZing wrote:
    I really like the old shots. That photo has so much character, it looks like a challenge/adventure.
    I feel the same about the photo of the sausages
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Thought you would have gone in heavier with the Cassoulet - my all time favourite and will make any drizzly cold night bearable

cassoulet.jpg?itok=b9TwB3uO
    Oh boy. That is cruel. I'm drooling. One of the few dishes I genuinely miss.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    OK, I am going to kill two birds with one stone here: cassoulet and some Gaillac rouge to wash it down with.

cassoulet.jpg.1500x800_q70_crop_upscale.jpg

(although Madiran seems to be the vin de choix)

There is also a version made with porc noir de Bigorre, since Bagnes is up the day after.

CASSOULET-BIGORRE.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

CASSOULET-BIGORRE.jpg

I could murder that right about now.

Hopefully it does not contain any of this handsome chap!

11888894_laura-galinier-equestria-2018.jpg

Or any of these come to think of it...

D7VkkMqXoAA_4pD.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Gonna say it...Cassoulet is massively overrated
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

giphy.gif
  • above_the_cows
    Not a cassoulet but I make a mean grown-ups baked beans with rookworst. The key is cinnamon and lemon juice.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver wrote:

giphy.gif
    I don't like beans so...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

D7VkkMqXoAA_4pD.jpg
    A sneak preview of the new horror film The Wicker Cow
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver wrote:

Yes you do feel like you're set for a coronary after you've eaten it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

D7VkkMqXoAA_4pD.jpg

a Pride of cows?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Rick Zabel fails to start. I know I'm probably the only person that cares about this.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    No hoper break goes and that looks to be it
  • ShutupJens
    Calmejane, Rossetto, Perez, A. de Gendt
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2019
    {repeat post deleted}
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited July 2019
    This threatens to be v dull until 10 to go.
    But Ned reckons there could be some more wind action in the stretch that heads almost due south either side of Lavaur.
  • Someone ready the klaxon, just in case.
  • ShutupJens
    Armed and ready. Might be waiting a while
  • above_the_cows
    Someone ready the klaxon, just in case.

On it!

c091b044-ae7f-4014-b250-b32534486b5a_zps1bncfvoa.jpg
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    Pippa York pissing on Ned's chips :lol::lol::lol:
  • FocusZing
    Someone ready the klaxon, just in case.

On it!

c091b044-ae7f-4014-b250-b32534486b5a_zps1bncfvoa.jpg

Who! How! How bigs the Break?
  • FocusZing
    edited July 2019
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    Pippa York pissing on Ned's chips :lol::lol::lol:

Ha, yeah. They are so soggy even a seagull wouldn't touch them! I think it's been good this year, last year seemed to be flat faux break after faux break.
  • above_the_cows
    Yes I'm enjoying it. Now she's pissing on Alaphilippe's frites.
  • FocusZing
    Yes I'm enjoying it. Now she's pissing on Alaphilippe's frites.

I would never p1ss on an attacking riders chips! I don't think I've ever tasted p1ssed on chips, just sayin.
  • Great helo-pass over Cordes-sur-Ciel there (amazing medieval bastide, if you're ever in the area).
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'll swear Pippa York has somehow managed to audibly roll her eyes when mentioning Movistar's multiple leader strategy.