Recommended skills courses around London?

curiousbynature
curiousbynature Posts: 10
edited July 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Relatively new to mountain biking. Been cycling for ever but only recently got a decent hard tail and went mountain biking in Surrey a few times.

I’m quite eager to get my riding to the next level, get into the good habits and really unlock the fun potential of the trails. :D

Have you gone through some skills coaching/courses?
Which ones would you recommended?

I’m particularly interested in ones I can get to within 2h train ride of London (and I don’t own a car... could Zipcar but I really value avoiding this hassle... and if I can help the environment it’s even better! :mrgreen: ). But any opinion is good as it may benefit others here. :)

Cheers

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    UK Bike Skills based in Hertford get consistently good reviews and are always recommended.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks. Yes they better be good as they are the most expensive by a distance! Unfortunately availability is not great either (next trail course in June it seems)
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    UK bike skills is, by some distance, the best course Ive done. Theres a reason the availability isn't great for public days, though you might have more luck with a 1 or 2 to one. its more expensive but its worth every penny.

Tony, along with being a great rider, is a brilliant teacher. this is where a lot of the other courses fall down, as while the coaches can really ride, the teaching methods aren't great. All done at a private facility too.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Thanks!
  • layers
    layers Posts: 20
    I can recommend Singletrack School in Surrey. They have a range of classes and I've done a few. They also combine with guided rides round Peaslake which is useful to find the best trails there....
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Plus 1 for UK Bike Skills. :)
  • yonny
    yonny Posts: 36
    Tom Dowie @ Chicksands is about 1.5 hrs from London. Very good coach.

http://www.chicksandsbikepark.co.uk/coaching
  • layers
    layers Posts: 20
    Pedal and Spoke at peaslake also works with a few coaches who seem to have good reviews