National Anthem of England/UK/GB&Ni needs changing

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited August 2019 in The cake stop
Does anyone out there like me dislike the depressing homage to a queen/king that is our national anthem?
I love to see English and UK teams excel but hate it celebrated with the dirge of God Save Our Queen. Why should we sing a celebration to a highly privileged individual. It should be a song to celebrate our country.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    Take a knee Goo, take a knee.
  • mr_goo
    orraloon wrote:
    Take a knee Goo, take a knee.
    Thing a about Kaepernick et all taking a knee or Megan Rapino refusing to sing US anthem is that they think they're making a point against that idiot in the Whitehouse. They're actually playing right into his objectionable views.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Kaepernick was taking a knee before Trump was president, Trump just made it about him because that was he does with everything, the snowflake.

Anyway, I've always liked the realism of Alexei Sayle's Albanian National Anthem, maybe something we could copy as the country slides into isolationism and rationing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBm5M7MUWl8
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I hate our anthem - it's a dirge with politically divisive lyrics. It's not going to change though - you only have to look at how our opinion of the monarchy is carefully stage managed with good news stories about babies, charity work etc headline news and God Save The Queen is part of that. By rights the English should have their own anthem.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    We should have a referendum.

1. Should we keep the anthem

2. Should we not keep the anthem.

No need to choose the new one until we have decided we need it then it should be easy enough to agree on the replacement.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It's a terrible anachronastic dirge.

I think Billy Connoly suggested the Archers theme.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    Maybe get Kraftwerk in to update it a bit
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    off with their aristo heads, it's a good day to start

our new anthem could begin...
    arise children of the fatherland
    the day of glory has arrived
    against us tyranny's
    bloody standard is raised
    &c
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Does anyone out there like me dislike the depressing homage to a queen/king that is our national anthem?
    I love to see English and UK teams excel but hate it celebrated with the dirge of God Save Our Queen. Why should we sing a celebration to a highly privileged individual. It should be a song to celebrate our country.

I said that 45 years ago
  • Midnight
    Midnight Posts: 80
    Midnight wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

I said that 45 years ago

How about Rule Britannia :):):)
  • mr_goo
    Well if we don't leave the EU soon we'll all be singing Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Robert88 wrote:

No need to choose the new one until we have decided we need it then it should be easy enough to agree on the replacement.

This would result in the musical equivalent of Boaty McBoatface.

It's nothing special, musically, but saves having to choose something else and the nationalist idiocy that would ensue. I quite like that there isn't an anthem just for England.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    Thought the Ingerlish anthem was 'Vindaloo' by Fat Les?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shall we put it on the list of things to do post Brexit ?

I don't think it's a pressing matter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It's not so much the subject matter for me as the fact it's a f*cking funeral dirge.

Anything else.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Well if we don't leave the EU soon we'll all be singing Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!

Bizarrely I agree that England needs an anthem and the UK needs a new anthem.

But, and it is a very big butt, a far bigger problem is that too many of our citizens celebrate and broadcast their own stupidity
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Quite happy with my national anthem thanks
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Robert88 wrote:

Oh yes, lets, as having a referendum here has proven itself to be a surefire way of putting an issue to bed once and for all...
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Does anyone really bother with a national anthem? What rule or influence does it have on your life? Is it really important?

Personally I rarely even hear it. When do they play it? Medal ceremonies at international sporting events. I don't watch the medal ceremonies it's a good time to go and get snacks or a drink between the actual sporting events in day the Olympics. Football finals? Sorry but England never gets to them and neither do b any other of the nations of the British Isles. At a push England cricket or rugby teams might get to win the final internationally but tbh I don't have pay to view TV so I'm the future might not even get to see that happen.

So IMHO what's the big deal?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ...same as standing for the one minute silence on Armistice day. Some people take it seriously and some don't.
  • rjsterry
    Mr Goo wrote:

But, and it is a very big butt, a far bigger problem is that too many of our citizens celebrate and broadcast their own stupidity

Maybe time to let that one go, seeing as it's not been used for 74 years.

Are you going to elaborate on why you think England needs a separate anthem, SC?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mr Goo wrote:

Asking a non-existent entity to 'save' an un-elected head of state. Sounds reasonable to me...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Are you going to elaborate on why you think England needs a separate anthem, SC?

It is the official anthem of the UK so should not be adopted by a constituent part.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Lagrange wrote:
    ...same as standing for the one minute silence on Armistice day. Some people take it seriously and some don't.

Two minutes.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2019
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

It is the official anthem of the UK so should not be adopted by a constituent part.

Why not? Northern Ireland doesn't have an official one either but New Zealand uses GSTQ as well. Liechtenstein uses the same tune but different words.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Is northern ireland a separate nation. I thought it was England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as the 4 nations of the British Isles. Out of them only three are part of the United Kingdom.

So northern Ireland should not really have a national anthem as such. A regional anthem perhaps. Doesn't Yorkshire have an unofficial anthem?

Anyway, IMHO you either have one anthem for Britain / United kingdom or you have extra ones for v the three nations that form part of the UK as well as the combined one. If you have anthems for two or of three nations that seems unfair.

PS that argument probably applies to parliament and devolution. Why not?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Does anyone really bother with a national anthem? What rule or influence does it have on your life? Is it really important?

Personally I rarely even hear it. When do they play it? Medal ceremonies at international sporting events. I don't watch the medal ceremonies it's a good time to go and get snacks or a drink between the actual sporting events in day the Olympics. Football finals? Sorry but England never gets to them and neither do b any other of the nations of the British Isles. At a push England cricket or rugby teams might get to win the final internationally but tbh I don't have pay to view TV so I'm the future might not even get to see that happen.

So IMHO what's the big deal?

There is no big deal - so why make such an issue?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Doesn't Yorkshire have an unofficial anthem?

Inspired by the German one. "Yorkshire, Yorkshire ovver owt else!"
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is northern ireland a separate nation. I thought it was England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales as the 4 nations of the British Isles. Out of them only three are part of the United Kingdom.

So northern Ireland should not really have a national anthem as such. A regional anthem perhaps. Doesn't Yorkshire have an unofficial anthem?

Anyway, IMHO you either have one anthem for Britain / United kingdom or you have extra ones for v the three nations that form part of the UK as well as the combined one. If you have anthems for two or of three nations that seems unfair.

PS that argument probably applies to parliament and devolution. Why not?
    I'm not sure that's correct, NI is generally considered a country the same as England, Wales and Scotland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries ... ed_Kingdom

Apparently (I was fairly surprised to learn, but it makes sense), referring to it as the British Isles is somewhat touchy with the Irish and the Irish Government don't refer to it as such. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles#Etymology
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Doesn't Yorkshire have an unofficial anthem?

Inspired by the German one. "Yorkshire, Yorkshire ovver owt else!"

The original German anthem was written about the unification of the former Holy Roman Empire states into a single country - hence 'Germany above all'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite