X Tools Torque wrench set

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited July 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I knackered my current torque wrench by using it to tighten the pedal that has a left-hand thread. I hadn't noticed the warning on the box, or the warning on the instructions that it was right hand only! In their defence it was clear once I'd noticed it. (But why have one of those little levers on the head that turn the drive from right to left?????) :?:

So I bought the X Tools Torque wrench set. I bought it because nowhere on the box or the instructions does it say "right-hand only", or "not for use on left-hand threads", not even a picture! But is it ambidextrous, or are they just ignoring what it can't do?

Has anyone got one and can confirm to me that it is left as well as right handed, before I test it and break another one? :shock:

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No Idea but you don't need a torque wrench for pedals. Don't overdo it - the pedalling action tightens it anyway and you don't want problems getting them off. Remember to grease the threads with antiseize.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    cougie wrote:
    No Idea but you don't need a torque wrench for pedals. Don't overdo it - the pedalling action tightens it anyway and you don't want problems getting them off. Remember to grease the threads with antiseize.

Sorry for the confusion, I agree with your advice, but I wasn't talking about fitting the pedals to the crank. I was referring (in my head) to servicing the pedals when the nut that pre-loads the bearings is left or right hand.

I never used to use a torque wrench until I bought a carbon fibre bike with carbon fibre bars. My mechanical engineering apprenticeship calibrated me on iron, steel and aluminium. Carbon fibre is just too easily damaged by crushing. :shock:

Also, those dropper posts that everyone is keen on; their internals are damaged by over-tightened seat post clamps. :shock:

And once I had a torque wrench why not use it? :)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My X Tools is not double handed, it's not for cack hand threads, so you will have to wing it Steve on the pedals.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My cheapo bike torque wrench has that little lever to switch the ratchet but I've always assumed it's only intended for tightening things clockwise. I'm a bloke so I've not actually read the instructions...
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Mine also has the lever to switch direction. Never used it to undo, but had assumed it to somehow measure the previous torque of what you're undoing :D
    I've just rebuild my DMRs and didn't even consider the torque, just did them up to what felt right. They were fine yesterday over the Cannock Chase.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Actually googling the instructions for the Park Tools ones they say for use on right and left hand threads bys witching that little lever. I'm digging out the instructions for mine when I get home.