Upgrade from PX pro carbon to Canyon AL disc Endurace?

badgerman26
badgerman26 Posts: 125
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi All. I am looking for a change from my Planet X pro carbon to a disc bike. I am thinking of going for Canyon Al8 disc Endurace. I know odd to go from CF to AL but seems to get rave reviews and keen on a new bike with discs. Its for odd weekend rides and fair weather commute.

Anyone gone CF to AL? Any thoughts on Canyon? Seems to review well.

Thanks

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I've got a Canyon Endurace Disc AL as my winter bike & it's been spot on, no complaints at all.

Even though it was extremely well packaged the front mech was miles out when it arrived. I didn't fancy messing with it so took it to my LBS who sorted it, gave me a receipt which I sent to Canyon & they refunded me.

You will find online that reviews of Canyon's customer service are a bit 50/50 to say the least but I found them nothing but helpful & efficient.
  • badgerman26
    badgerman26 Posts: 125
    ibr17xvii wrote:
    I've got a Canyon Endurace Disc AL as my winter bike & it's been spot on, no complaints at all.

Even though it was extremely well packaged the front mech was miles out when it arrived. I didn't fancy messing with it so took it to my LBS who sorted it, gave me a receipt which I sent to Canyon & they refunded me.

You will find online that reviews of Canyon's customer service are a bit 50/50 to say the least but I found them nothing but helpful & efficient.
    Great thanks for the feedback. What’s your summer bike and how does it compare?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Not to rehash an old debate, but if it's only for odd weekend rides and fair weather commutes then why the need to spec discs? What are you hoping that the new bike will do better than your current one (apart from possibly stop a little quicker, maybe).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The usual caveats about ordering from Canyon will apply. If you like gambling, then go for it. Alternatively, PX now have the Pro Carbon Evo, which also has a disc version. That's where I'd be looking..
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    ibr17xvii wrote:

Great thanks for the feedback. What’s your summer bike and how does it compare?

Summer bike is a Cannondale which although has better spec & is lighter the Canyon still stacks up.

I guess it's more difficult to compare my 2 as they are both used for different things. Suppose it depends on what you are using the Canyon for. Either way I still really like mine.
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    Imposter wrote:
    The usual caveats about ordering from Canyon will apply. If you like gambling, then go for it. Alternatively, PX now have the Pro Carbon Evo, which also has a disc version. That's where I'd be looking..

I think Planet X's customer service is also a bit flaky. Canyon vs Planet X is a battle of 2 companies with mediocre customer service at times. However Planet X value I would say is a lot better depending on what you buy and when, their prices are constantly moving. For me also Planet X being UK based is easier to deal with. Obviously Canyon do a lot of sponsorship and you see the brand about far more at sporting events. Planet X are more about low margins and box shifting, the Planet X branding therefore doesn't have much status in comparison. Planet X are generic, open mould and standard components easy and cheap to upgrade and maintain. Canyon is more proprietary especially for higher end models, so likely more expensive to maintain in the long run if the bike needs any proprietary parts replacing. I hate being locked into some sort of high price eco-system so would always choose a bike that is generic as much as possible.
  • flight147z
    flight147z Posts: 69
    The cheapest Aluminium Endurace with discs costs more than the cheapest Carbon Endurace.

I wouldn't bother with the discs based on that