TDF 2019: Stage 9, Saint-Étienne > Brioude 14/07/2019 - 170,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Nice moment with Offredo and Alaphilippe.
    the French have this tour surrounded
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Which is that harder?
    1.9kms at 7.9%,(yesterday) or 3.6kms at 7.2%, (today) cos Michael Hutchinson reckons it isn't hard enough to spark any GC action, even though it tops out at exactly the same distance from the finish and it's all downhill until inside the final km.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    DQS decided quite early that the peloton were to have a Bastille Day holiday. Never seen a bunch go so slowly up a climb, it actually gave the guys at the back a problem in places. Rui Costa must be feeling a bit stupid. Should be some fairly fresh GC legs by the end of the stage though so it could get frisky.
  • mididoctors
    Which is that harder?
    1.9kms at 7.9%,(yesterday) or 3.6kms at 7.2%, (today) cos Michael Hutchinson reckons it isn't hard enough to spark any GC action, even though it tops out at exactly the same distance from the finish and it's all downhill until inside the final km.....

I am not a fan of the hutch. he is ok but not a steller pundit. sort of didn't get it that there may be a gc races even if the big break rolls in.

pedestrian insights which fall short of the demands of today's more knowledgable followers

be odd if someone didn't try to clip off and try and get a few seconds
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    it's like hutch is stuck in the 1990s
  • Pross
    Which is that harder?

I am not a fan of the hutch. he is ok but not a steller pundit. sort of didn't get it that there may be a gc races even if the big break rolls in.

pedestrian insights which fall short of the demands of today's more knowledgable followers

He hasn't really got the experience in top flight road racing to really be a pundit on a day like today. He'd be more in his element on a TT day talking about aerodynamics etc.
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:

He hasn't really got the experience in top flight road racing to really be a pundit on a day like today. He'd be more in his element on a TT day talking about aerodynamics etc.

is he even that current on TT still?
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross wrote:
    Which is that harder?

Apparently, Rolf Sorensen reckons it's more like a 2nd cat, so I'll go with somebody who would know.
  • mididoctors
    everyone is talking motos

Pinot and alaphillipe were the only riders strong enough to crest and take advantage? needs to be minimised but is it just part of the terrain?
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Which is that harder?

Apparently, Rolf Sorensen reckons it's more like a 2nd cat, so I'll go with somebody who would know.

they might just have a day off and let dqs ride it at a high tempo? but it won't be because the climb isn't hard enough.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I go and run some errands and come back to the break with 10 mins.

Peloton on a pre-rest day rest day.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    so when does this group get split? and who is going to make the split happen?
  • mididoctors

rest day tuesday no?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

rest day tuesday no?

Yes, which is why Above The Cows phrased it as such, they are having a pre-rest day rest day today, i.e. tomorrow is the pre-rest day.
  • above_the_cows

rest day tuesday no?

A pre-pre-rest day rest day.
  • mididoctors
    i 'm confused now
  • blazing_saddles
    Riders currently enjoying a Sunday afternoon toodle, but anything could happen at the back end.
  • above_the_cows
    Riders currently enjoying a Sunday afternoon toodle, but anything could happen at the back end.

Just ask Tom Dumoulin.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    I go out the room for a few mins and return to hear Hatch talking about "pulling off a big one" ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Ned, it is not a surprise EBH is swinging.
  • rick_chasey
    Tony Martin is not going to win the stage, Ned
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2019
    Postlberger sneaks off the front away from the cameras and without much effort made a 20s gap on the descent and has grown it to 45s.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Has the Ragga Tip missile been launched yet? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Tony Martin is not going to win the stage, Ned

not beginning to go all Kirby on us is he ? Ned got terribly excited when Simon Yates dropped off the main group of riders the other day and Millar had to remind him thats what we are expecting from him at this stage of the race
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Pross wrote:

is he even that current on TT still?
    He knows his onions for TT stuff I think. He's still riding, and writing in the area, and he's smart enough to stay on top of technical changes and stuff.

You'd think they might be able to get someone more recent pro experience - but the race is 3 weeks and I've enjoyed the variety going through the ITV studio, you can't expect to like all of them I guess.
  • rick_chasey
    Group has split with the obvious riders at the front.

Roche makes a move and Stuyven gets there with consummate ease.

Postlberger caught and dropped
  • rick_chasey
    Stuyven falls back and Benoot and Roche go away together.
  • Pross
    I said yesterday's stage was one that I would have been picking Roche or EBH for a few years ago. Looks like they still enjoy these medium mountain days though EBH's climbing legs have deserted him.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2019
    Benoot riding an Ullrich sized gear

Impey bridges
  • Pross
    Impey looking very strong and tactically astute.