TDF 2019: Stage 9, Saint-Étienne > Brioude 14/07/2019 - 170,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Saint-Étienne > Brioude 14/07/2019 - Stage 9 - 170,5 km

The 9th stage of the Tour de France runs from Saint-Étienne to a tricky finale in Brioude, the birthplace of Romain Bardet. The route amounts to 170.5 hilly kilometres. In 2017, Warren Barguil gave France its first French Bastille Day winner since 2005. Obviously, French fans love to see Romain Bardet win the stage in his hometown.

stage-9-tdf-2019-map-700.png

The race gets underway in Saint-Étienne and travels from one hill to the next. The route barely features a flat metre. The hardest climb, the Mur d'Aurec-sur-Loire, comes early on (36.5km). There are then two Cat 3 climbs, the second one 13km before the finish. That is also the bonus point.

stage-9-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

le-tour-de-france-va-ramener-une-foule-enorme-sur-le-bord-des-routes-de-haute-loire-comme-cela-avait-ete-le-cas-en-juillet-2017-(ici-dans-l-ascension-du-col-de-peyra-taillade-a-saint-berain)-photo-archives-remi-barbe-1547901066.jpg

The Mur d’Aurec-sur-Loire is a 3.2 kilometres climb at 11% is crested at kilometre 36.5, so way too early to have any lasting effect.

tour-de-france-2019-stage-9-climb-24d4c0e7a0.jpg

It will add to the fatigue though, as will the second KOM climb, Côte de Guillaumanches, which is 7.8 kilometres long and slopes at 4.1%. The summit is crested with more than 60 kilometres remaining.
After the Guillaumanches the route continues on undulating terrain to a promising finale. With 12.5 kilometres out the Tour de France crests the steep Côte de Saint-Just (3.6 kilometres at 7.2%) and the first three riders over the summit earn bonus seconds (8, 5 and 3) before flying down to the line. Halfway in the descent the route kicks up only to continue downhill to Bardet’s birthplace.

f07d1

Favourites 9th stage 2019 Tour de France

Bastille Day invites attackers to go all out. Is the early break going to be successful? Possibly. But a late attack is more likely to succeed, since the Côte de Saint-Just climb at 7.2% is crested 12.5 kilometre before the finish, while the road runs virtually all downhill from the top.

*** Julian Alaphilippe, Peter Sagan, Matej Mohoric
** Michael Matthews, Vincenzo Nibali, Maximilian Schachmann
* Tim Wellens, Romain Bardet, Luis Leon Sanchez, Greg Van Avermaet

Brioude
One previous stage

Population: 7,100 and 18,400 in the 27 communes of Brioude Sud Auvergne.
Brioude is first and foremost known to the cycling lover as the hometown of Romain Bardet, second in the Tour de France in 2016 and third in 2017. The leader of the Ag2R-La Mondiale outfit was born here on November 9, 1990 and took his first license at the Vélo Sport Brivadois in 2000. He joined the training structure of Ag2R-La Mondiale, Chambéry CF, in 2010. Rhe rest of the story is better known.
The city of Haute-Loire received the Tour only once in the past, in 2008, for the start of a stage won authoritatively in Aurillac by Spaniard Luis Leon Sanchez.

8ab93

In 2013, a Paris-Nice stage was convincingly won by American Andrew Talansky, on a day when the young local runner, then 22 years old, finished 6th. In 2014, the first stage of the Tour de l'Avenir ended in Brioude with a victory by Kristoffer Skjerping, then the under-23 Norwegian champion. After two seasons with Cannondale, Skjerping failed to convince at World Tour level and returned to Norway.

4a9b1

Brioude and Bardetmania

For the town of Brioude, Romain Bardet is a lot more than just the local favourite. As the municipality wrote on its website: “Romain Bardet does not only make Brioude people feel proud, he also puts the city and its population in the media light like never before.” The celebrity of the leading French hope in the Tour de France, 2nd in 2016 and 3rd in 2017, was a major asset in Brioude’s quest for a Tour de France finish in 2019.

15d88

The Community of communes of Brioude already designed six Romain Bardet circuits around the town on the rider’s training roads. Traced by Bardet’s father and his local cycling club, the routes are marked with a distinctive RB logo. The circuits are open to cyclists of all levels and their difficulty is signalled by a colour code, like on ski slopes.
Now the city of Brioude is determined to go a step further by launching a major plan to make cycling an economic and tourist attraction. The Brioude, ville de vélo (Brioude, cycling town) project aims at developing activities around cycling along the Bardet circuits and other initiatives. A cycling and mountain bike section is already opening in one of the town’s high schools.

Specialties: Auvergne meats / cheeses (Saint-nectaire, cantal, bleu d’Auvergne, Fourme d'Ambert),

551893409150291.jpg
Fourme_d%27Ambert_entam%C3%A9e.jpg

apple pump, tripoux, lentils, stuffed cabbage. Saint Géron water (slightly sparkling).
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    A magnificent Auvergne horse...

208591auvergnehorse.jpg

And a lovely Aubrac cow...

portrait-french-aubrac-cow-bell-260nw-1374386006.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Best horse so far!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    that first climb is disappointingly far from the finish
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    all in for direct energie?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    Offroado shows his commitment to the Lanterne Rouge by falling in the neutralised zone.
  • blazing_saddles
    A very bad carsh for de Marchi. looks concussed and out for the count.
    Vuillermoz involved again, too
  • above_the_cows
    Ouch, De Marchi with a BAD crash, lots of blood from his face, probable concussion.
  • mididoctors
    de marchi down ouffff
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Looked nasty even in the little picture in picture thing I've got going on for the cricket.
  • blazing_saddles
    Offrd uhoh
  • above_the_cows
    Alaphilippe trying to get into the break.
  • above_the_cows
    But the peloton having none of it...
  • mididoctors
    well they cant let that go
  • above_the_cows
    Peloton appears to have decided the acceptable break has formed.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks like we have our break. 14 strong men.
    Then Movistar launch a rider.....
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    The break has this.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    DeadCalm wrote:
    The break has this.

Who’s in it?
  • DeadCalm
    Pöstlberger, Naesen, Garcia Cortina, Tratnik, Tony Martin, Clarke, Impey, Stuyven, Roche, Herrada, Benoot, Sicard, Boasson Hagen and Delaplace.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pöstlberger, Naesen, Garcia Cortina, Tratnik, Tony Martin, Clarke, Impey, Stuyven, Roche, Herrada, Benoot, Sicard, Boasson Hagen and Delaplace.

Cheers.

Bets on who’s got this then?

My money is on Stuyven
  • mididoctors
    doctor hutch doesn't do it for me. going brian smith for a bit
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Cheers.

Bets on who’s got this then?

My money is on Stuyven
    Good shout. I'll go with Impey.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Nice moment with Offredo and Alaphilippe.
    Team My Man 2022:

• mididoctors
    soler and rui persisting
  • DeadCalm
    Break on the climb with 6 plus minutes.
    Team My Man 2022:

• mididoctors
    soler bridging on the climb. you get the impression Movistar are obsessed by team gc?
  • DeadCalm
    Soler makes it across to the break.
    Team My Man 2022:

• mididoctors
    are trek marking for the team competition?
  • blazing_saddles
    Costa and team car have a bit of a heated exchange.
    Rui's had enough of chasing....
  • mididoctors
    Costa and team car have a bit of a heated exchange.
    Rui's had enough of chasing....

yeah going out to a min...
  • mididoctors
    ignore