Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• bennettp23
    bennettp23 Posts: 35
    Here is a picture:

2guebXp

https://flic.kr/p/2guebXp
  • bennettp23
    Depressingly, just got out my 20 year old Specialized rock hopper and that is silent compared to my new Dura Ace :roll:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My Dura Ace drive train is noisy too, chain not worn. If I clean and lube it, it goes quiet for a few miles but it’s soon making a noise. My 105 on my other bike hardly makes a noise.
    It changes gear perfectly though, I have a KMC chain on it, could this be the cause.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    Replaced my fsa gossamer chainset to the cannondale si cranks and a spidering I picked up used

Creaking has developed from an initial clicking when I stand up . Also seems to be loud in the 52 and the last 3 big cogs on cassette . Not derailleur rub just that horrible dry sounding chain thing .

Will a worn chainring cause that sound ?
  • bennettp23
    I’ve bought an Ultegra chain to try. Will let you know how that goes.
  • bennettp23
    Solved.

New chain with extra link and noise gone. Only thing is I’m not sure if it was the extra link or the chain lol.

I’m tempted to think link has helped a lot because I noticed if I manually put pressure on the bottom cog of the RD the sound increases towards what it was.

Maybe I’ve got a dodgy cog. Anyway, fixed for now.
  • Yep, chain looked way too short IMO
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I'm getting tired of the various noises my bike (2017 Carbon Synapse Disc with Ultegra) is currently making. I had a problem that was traced to be the hub of the rear Mavic Aksium creaking under load so decided to replace the wheels with Hope 20Fives. However, I now seemed to have replaced that one with new noises!

I now have a slight chain clicking from the front derailleur. When I'm on the outer ring and push the selector 'up' slightly, it cures it temporarily. I'm guessing this is just a cable adjustment needed? It's annoying as it had a major service two months ago and a basic gear service last week but still it prevails.

Worse, I have a creaking noise from the crank area. Not sure if it's the bottom bracket but that was only replaced at the major service. The bike currently sounds like a train (an old train at that) and it's annoying. It doesn't happen if I freewheel. Anything else it might be other than the BB?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Longshot wrote:
    I'm getting tired of the various noises my bike (2017 Carbon Synapse Disc with Ultegra) is currently making. I had a problem that was traced to be the hub of the rear Mavic Aksium creaking under load so decided to replace the wheels with Hope 20Fives. However, I now seemed to have replaced that one with new noises!

I now have a slight chain clicking from the front derailleur. When I'm on the outer ring and push the selector 'up' slightly, it cures it temporarily. I'm guessing this is just a cable adjustment needed? It's annoying as it had a major service two months ago and a basic gear service last week but still it prevails.

Worse, I have a creaking noise from the crank area. Not sure if it's the bottom bracket but that was only replaced at the major service. The bike currently sounds like a train (an old train at that) and it's annoying. It doesn't happen if I freewheel. Anything else it might be other than the BB?

Did the major service include replacement of inners? 2 months riding would align with cable stretch, and therefore need a little fettle.

Much of my BB/Crank noise is actually the pedal/crank interface -as that's easier to tackle than the BB, maybe remove, clean threads, re-grease and re-fit the pedals (or test with a different set of pedals to exclude the pedals themselves) ?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Longshot wrote:

Did the major service include replacement of inners? 2 months riding would align with cable stretch, and therefore need a little fettle.

Much of my BB/Crank noise is actually the pedal/crank interface -as that's easier to tackle than the BB, maybe remove, clean threads, re-grease and re-fit the pedals (or test with a different set of pedals to exclude the pedals themselves) ?

I'll give that a go, thank you. I'll speak to the guys who did the major service as well - they're normally pretty thorough to be fair to them.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • webboo
    bennettp23 wrote:
    Solved.

New chain with extra link and noise gone. Only thing is I’m not sure if it was the extra link or the chain lol.

I’m tempted to think link has helped a lot because I noticed if I manually put pressure on the bottom cog of the RD the sound increases towards what it was.

Maybe I’ve got a dodgy cog. Anyway, fixed for now.
    I now have replaced my KMC chain which wasn’t even 75% worn with an Ultegra chain and the noise has gone. The KMC chain went on my other bike so it wasn’t wasted.
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    very peculiar, and it was the same speed chain too? dont suppose it had one of those curved quick links on it that had to be mounted one way?
  • webboo
    lemonenema wrote:
    very peculiar, and it was the same speed chain too? dont suppose it had one of those curved quick links on it that had to be mounted one way?
    No I had a 10 speed chain on an 11 speed group set. Of course it was the same speed chain and the quick link was the right way round. Bennet 23 had the same problem and swooped chains with same result.
  • Hey guys, its been a several months since my rear wheel started doing some disgusting noises. Its somenthing like creaking. Its definitely the wheel because after changing it, there are no noises at all. It creaks always when pedalling, no creaking when freewheeling. There is also no way to replicate the noises when the bike is on work stand. Could be the noises issued by spokes? I have spotted that on one side of the wheel, the spokes are a little bit loosen. However, not sure if thats the problem.
    I also send a link to a video in which you can hear the creaking quite well (ignore the sound of wind :D)
    https://youtu.be/ZYgZTSAgISo
    Thank you for your answers, I appriciate all of them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Check the bearings in the wheel, particularly the freehub bearings. Oh, and the pawls.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jbams
    jbams Posts: 8
    I had a creak in my Cube, it was clearly coming from the right crank. It started with a little sound that came and went, but became louder and more frequent over time. I had already cleaned&greased all parts I could easily touch myself before going to the LBS for help. They suggested replacing the crank axle (100 bucks), as the sound was clearly from that area.
    The creak remained, though. So I want back to the LBS, which literally removed&checked all parts around the crank, part by part, cleaning, greasing, the works.

The creak remained though. I gave up. It was a cheap bike anyway, not worth more money to repair it. So I went to the canyon webshop to buy an Ultimate I already had an eye on. Unfortunately my size wasn't available anymore, so I decided to wait and live with the creaking for a couple weeks.

Then one day, somewhere deep in this forum, I read about the rear wheel causing a creak. I decided to give it a try (with little hope, as the creak was clearly coming from the front).

Opened the quick release, cleaned it, drip of oil.....Creak has vanished. I've cycled 200K since and no creak, so I can positively say it's solved. By a 30 seconds, 0 euro's fix.

Thank you BikeRader :-).
  • abtrumpet
    abtrumpet Posts: 16
    edited April 2020
    Ok, I've got a creaking that I believe is coming from my wheel, an Easton EA90 aluminum wheel. I just trued it because it was wobbling to and fro. Now it no longer wobbles, but it creaks when I climb. I know it's the wheel because I put on a different wheel with the same cassette and no creaking. Cassette is 11-32 Ultegra, chain is Dura Ace 11spd. Any thoughts? Did I cause it to creak? It wasn't creaking before truing.

It's very similar to 300's post above.
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    edited April 2020
    A click on my bike is driving me crazy and I'm hoping someone can help!

The bike in question is a Specialized Tarmac Expert 2019, Ultegra R8000 groupset, with Praxis BB30 to Shimano BB. It's around 6 months old, only ever ridden 1/2 in the rain when caught out, and has done around 1600km to date. The problem came on suddenly one ride after a short stop.

The problem: when pedalling out of the saddle with the bike at an angle (a la Contador is the best way I can think of describing it), there is an intermittent click on both pedal strokes. The noise does not always occur, but I can generally make it appear by aggressively rocking the bike from side to side whilst pedalling out of the saddle.The noise seems to potentially (momentarily) disappear when I change gear on the RD but it's difficult to verify that.

So far I've done the following, to no avail:
    - thoroughly cleaned and greased drivetrain
    - cleaned free hub cassette body and lubricated cassette lockring
    - cleaned and lubricated dropout area
    - tried a different wheel and skewer combo
    >>> to me, this points to it not being a rear wheel issue which was my first suspicion, but happy to be corrected

- tightened RD hanger bolts
    - lubricated RD and connecting bolt
    - tightened bottle cage bolts
    - lubricated threads of, and tightened pedals
    - removed crankset, cleaned interface with BB, greased spindle connection with NDS crank arm
    - cleaned and re-carbon pasted seat post
    - regreased lower headset and tightened to spec
    - checked stem faceplate bolt tightness

Unfortunately this means it's starting to look like a BB issue, unless I've missed anything major, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. As it's a Praxis BB, it looks like you need 2 BB spanners/some proprietary Praxis kit to disassemble, so before I buy this I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!
  • timkissfreitas
    timkissfreitas Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    I’ve got a 62cm Cannondale Synapse AL which I got through cycle to work, it was delivered to me fully built, just needed to straighten the bars and fit the pedals.

It was absolutely fine for maybe 6 months then it started creaking incessantly from what sounded like the headset. I faffed about with the headset for a bit, took it apart, broke the top cap tensioner in so doing, bought a new one, fitted that, lubed everything, and it stopped......for about 10 minutes.

I recently got it properly serviced and again it stopped....for 20 minutes this time, and my LBS that did it didn’t find anything awry.

It’s still creaking like mad, and only stops if I really throw my weight forwards onto the hoods.

For reference, I’m 6’4 and about 250lbs, so I’m thinking it might just be the bike moaning about being ridden by someone so large, and it doesn’t feel unsafe/wobbly etc, and also makes no noise at all if rocked back and forth while at a stop, only while moving.

It’s incredibly annoying, but I’m more interested to know if anyone thinks it’s something I should be worried about from a safety standpoint, or if I just really am a bit too hefty for it?

Any advice on ridding myself of it altogether would also be greatly appreciated :)
  • timkissfreitas
    timkissfreitas Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    Found the answer to my own question through more trial and error and some of the responses here, turns out the frame flexes way more than I thought it did through normal riding, enough for the cables going into the internal cable routing holes to make an almighty racket by rubbing together and against the frame, which was also combined with the large hollow areas inside the frame amplifying the noise. Gave them a small fiddle and the creaking stopped! Every time I heard it coming on again I just fiddled with them a a little bit again and it stopped again!
  • callas
    callas Posts: 9
    So I also found some weird rattling noises coming from my Shimano clipless pedal. It sounds like something inside the back part of the pedal has come loose and is rattling inside the body. It must be an issue with the pedal itself since I took it off and shook it which is when the rattling became quite apparent.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    callas said:

So I also found some weird rattling noises coming from my Shimano clipless pedal. It sounds like something inside the back part of the pedal has come loose and is rattling inside the body. It must be an issue with the pedal itself since I took it off and shook it which is when the rattling became quite apparent.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Open the pedal to take a look and clean it or buy new (Shimano) clipless pedals.!
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    I've got a creaking noise. When riding it sounds like it is coming from the front fork area. However I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the bottom bracket.

The creak is consistently there if I pedal hard - it happens when my right foot is between about 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock.

It is also sometimes there when I go over bumps, especially if freewheeling and my right foot is pressing down (I seem to do that when coasting - my right leg straightens and stretches out.) If I take my weight off the pedal the creak stops.

Is there any adjustment or is it a new BB?

The bike is a Trek 1000SL with a square taper BB. It feels very smooth when turning by hand. I've taken the crank arms off and replaced them to the correct torque - with no change.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    nbuuifx said:

I've got a creaking noise. When riding it sounds like it is coming from the front fork area. However I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the bottom bracket.

The creak is consistently there if I pedal hard - it happens when my right foot is between about 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock.

It is also sometimes there when I go over bumps, especially if freewheeling and my right foot is pressing down (I seem to do that when coasting - my right leg straightens and stretches out.) If I take my weight off the pedal the creak stops.

Is there any adjustment or is it a new BB?

The bike is a Trek 1000SL with a square taper BB. It feels very smooth when turning by hand. I've taken the crank arms off and replaced them to the correct torque - with no change.

Any play in the bearings of the pedals?
    Take pedals off, regrease threads and reinstall.
    Take out the bottom bracket, clean the threads, grease and reinstall.
    They shouldn't have, but you could also check the changing bolts haven't come loose.

If you get out of the saddle on a climb does it still creak?
    My saddle creaks if I'm in the saddle, bb creaks if I'm out of the saddle.
  • My bike has developed a creaking sound after travelling with it. I boxed it up and unpacked it and saw it put on the bus so I'm pretty sure nothing happened to it there, but saying that here I am...The creak builds up over time, when I first start pedalling nothing happens but maybe after a couple of minutes it will start to creak somewhere around the back of the bike (helpful I know!) and slowly get louder. Most of the time (but not every time, esp. when at low rpms seemingly) when I change gear the creaking will stop for a while and then the process will start over again. Unfortunately where I am atm I don't have a spare wheel, or an indoor trainer etc. so it's not easy for me to rule out some obvious stuff. It's driving me a bit nuts - anyone any ideas what might be going on and how to resolve this?
  • webboo
    edited October 2020
    Pedal. Swop them out to test.
  • Thanks webboo I do have some spare pedals here so I can try that. But not sure why changing gears would have an impact if it is the pedals? Or is it just a case of trying to rule things out?
  • webboo
    I’m recently went on a couple of rides on my winter bike. They were short and slow as I was going to cafe with my six year old grandson. My bike would creak, stop and start again. I would try taking alternate feet out of the pedals to see if my shoes were the problem and it would stop for a bit start again. In the end I put in the old pedals that the current ones had replaced and it stopped.
    I use Look pedals and I find that after a couple of years they start to click creak and so on.
  • Thanks again, I'll give it a go and see what happens.
  • Ok replaced the pedals but the problem hasn't gone away (though has perhaps lessened very slightly) :-( any other ideas? Maybe I need a new bb? It's a Shimano 6800 unit that I've had for four years.