Coffee Maker

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited July 2019 in The hub
I've got an ancient stove top espresso maker (so this is one where the water boiling is done in a pot using the stove as the heat source) and the gasket - circular - 72mm outer, 50 mm inner and about 3mm thick is farked. I cannot get a replacement as 'they' stopped making it in the 1970s. Therefore I'll have to make the gasket myself. Anyone know the spec and where I can get the sheet to cut one out? I guess it is 300 deg C rubber or silicone or something like that.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Does it have to be 50mm thick? There are several at 72x55mm and 3mm thick. If the sealing bit is nearer the outer edge one of those should do the job.
  • Lagrange
    Thanks - that might be worth a try - if it works I'll make you a coffee!
  • Lagrange
    OK it worked! Come and get your cup of coffee!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Excellent, glad to hear it. See you in a bit.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    61%2BqdsqtPjL._SL1500_.jpg

You mean one of these?

Loads of spares available.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Lagrange
    No, it is a Lavazza Carmencita - no spares available and went out of production in the 1970's

like...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123733787682
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    https://www.lavazza.co.uk/en/accessories/coffee-makers/carmencita-black.html

img.png

looks like they are re-making it, though I appreciate not the exact spec of your vintage one. Very cool maker btw, I can see why you want to kee it going. Lavazza is my coffee of choice, but in a Bialetti above. Now I'm tempted to get a Lavazza maker!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Lagrange
    Well I did / do have a Bialetti which I bought and used for years but Mrs Lagrange said that I should get rid of it or she'd stick a road drill up my arsse. You see we have an induction stove at 'my' home and Bialetti is Aluminium. So I've been using a camping gas stove as the heat source which makes the family go nuts - mainly because they are fkng bllends rather than anything inherently unnerving about a camping gas stove in the kitchen.

So in a scrap bin I found an almost brand new 1971 model as shown which solved many problems because it is steel - and rather classy too. The only remaining problem is the family but you know about that so I'll not dwell on it.
  • Lagrange
    ...btw try PACT Coffee.