Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Reporters not knowing how figures work.
    Yes, 4C is @ 40F, but a rise from 20C to 24C is not an increase of 40F.

If it was Shafernaker, he may have been drunk.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/12/19/hungover ... y-6333382/
    Not an excuse this time.
    Sky News on climate change.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    Friends who go on Strava after a few days off and give kudos for every activity you've done between their visits leaving a load of notifications for you to clear. Also, people who give kudos to someone on an activity of something like 'rode 0.01 miles' when it is obvious the person accidentally recorded something and it automatically uploaded?

Friends who give you Kudos for a benign ride - it's a commute ffs - I do it on a regular basis, it's no biggy, it's not fast or long or anything that's outstanding in anyway ... it doesn't need Kudos ... I only log them because I want to log the miles on the bike and only leave them public in case I do put some effort in on a segment ...
  • pblakeney
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Friends who go on Strava after a few days off and give kudos for every activity you've done between their visits leaving a load of notifications for you to clear. Also, people who give kudos to someone on an activity of something like 'rode 0.01 miles' when it is obvious the person accidentally recorded something and it automatically uploaded?

Friends who give you Kudos for a benign ride - it's a commute ffs - I do it on a regular basis, it's no biggy, it's not fast or long or anything that's outstanding in anyway ... it doesn't need Kudos ... I only log them because I want to log the miles on the bike and only leave them public in case I do put some effort in on a segment ...
    I once got a kudos when I inadvertently uploaded a fettle test ride to the end of the street and back. All of 200m at 10mph. Muppets.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I once got a kudos when I inadvertently uploaded a fettle test ride to the end of the street and back. All of 200m at 10mph. Muppets.
    Sometimes I do give sarcastic kudos .... ;)
  • pblakeney
    Slowbike wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sometimes I do give sarcastic kudos .... ;)
    If only the guy in question didn’t give kudos for 100% of everyone’s rides then that would have been the assumption. :wink:
    Much the same will likely happen today as the wife is using my turbo for rehabilitation on her knee. I am expecting 15 minutes at 8 mph, automatically uploaded, and auto kudos. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Much the same will likely happen today as the wife is using my turbo for rehabilitation on her knee. I am expecting 15 minutes at 8 mph, automatically uploaded, and auto kudos. :lol:
    My wife has her own turbo software account for her use - and she automatically uploads everything as private ..

but yes - annoying - I get Kudos for the school run ... (it's not 50 yards though)
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    PBlakeney wrote:

I once got the same for similar, (was just checking the GPS) but I know it was sarcasm :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Sean Kelly commentating on Eurosport starting with the phrase 'Yes, well...' every time he begins to speak..

you know since youve mentioned that, I cant stop noticing he keeps doing that... :(
  • awavey
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pross wrote:

this totally, I just record commutes to catalogue the miles, and occasionally see im improving, but nope get kudos every ride, which then makes you feel guilty if you dont kudos them back, and Im just stuck in loop of kudos :roll:
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I commute HARD and deserve every Kudos earned. 8) :twisted: :roll:
  • Strava no longer linking with Relive. Not a massive deal but annoying all the same as it was always interesting to get the replay of ride overlaid on map.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Strava no longer linking with Relive. Not a massive deal but annoying all the same as it was always interesting to get the replay of ride overlaid on map.

garmin connect still does - depending on the device you have you may be able to get it that way?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • awavey wrote:
    Sean Kelly commentating on Eurosport starting with the phrase 'Yes, well...' every time he begins to speak..

you know since youve mentioned that, I cant stop noticing he keeps doing that... :(

Sorry...

Another Carlton Kirbyism. ‘Taking a toot on a bottle.’
  • awavey
    Strava no longer linking with Relive. Not a massive deal but annoying all the same as it was always interesting to get the replay of ride overlaid on map.

again not when Im doing a commute :lol: but it was either all in or nothing...I suspect Strava are developing their own version hence the seemingly manufactured fall out as Relive claim theyve gone back to what they were doing when Strava were ok with them for several years
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    People coming down for breakfast with all their cases that then block the restaurant aisle rather than just going back to their rooms after eating.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:
    People coming down for breakfast with all their cases that then block the restaurant aisle rather than just going back to their rooms after eating.

People dragging cases around shops, supermarkets, London in general because they've apparently never heard of Left Luggage.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Pross wrote:
    that is poor. they can't even brush their teeth or take morning ablusion.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    7-10 working days to get a refund. The modern equivalent of "the cheque is in the post"
  • chris_bass
    TheBigBean wrote:
    7-10 working days to get a refund. The modern equivalent of "the cheque is in the post"

I actually got a cheque in the post today! now i have to actually got to a bank to pay it in!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Some banks allow you to pay them in by just taking a picture of the cheque.
  • chris_bass
    cougie wrote:

this is an interesting development!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    cougie wrote:

I think I have an uncle in Nigeria who offers something like that.

Buying the low fat garlic bread by mistake, it's not even butter for crying out loud. Luckily it wasn't too bad although I'll be careful not to buy it again.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    cougie wrote:

Buying the low fat garlic bread by mistake, it's not even butter for crying out loud. Luckily it wasn't too bad although I'll be careful not to buy it again.
    Buying garlic bread at all...
    How hard is it to make your own?
    Skip the butter and just mix olive oil, garlic and finely grated cheese if you want.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Skip the butter

I hope you are not a gambling man because you fell at the first fence :lol: No butter? Madness.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Skip the butter

I hope you are not a gambling man because you fell at the first fence :lol: No butter? Madness.

'Madness'?! Heinous crime.

But as CB (ostensibly) said - diy:

1 baguette, slice it in two
    Melt some butter
    Add garlic - finely chopped or crushed (depending on your strength preference)
    Spread it out and pop it in the oven.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    cougie wrote:

genuinely banking mobile apps do have that feature :lol:
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    awavey wrote:
    cougie wrote:

genuinely banking mobile apps do have that feature :lol:

Or the post office accepts most banks.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Was taking my turn (= was forced to against my will) with the ironing and listening to Radio 4 hoping for some Hymns or stuff like that. It was the Archers - I thought it would be about Robin Hood or William Tell - but it is a load of blx farming soap with disjointed scenes and fng morons.

God knows what the (hopefully small) audience is like.

...on topic because it is trivial and annoyed me - and doubtless the rest of the thinking and unthinking world.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    TheBigBean wrote:
    In case anyone actually cares why they really shouldn't care
    The Cambridge Guide to English Usage notes that the "pressure to substitute fewer for less seems to have developed out of all proportion to the ambiguity it may provide in noun phrases like less promising results". It describes conformance with this pressure as a shibboleth and the choice "between the more formal fewer and the more spontaneous less" as a stylistic choice

So here’s a wonderful example of where the distinction is worth making.

D_W__POXkAAfdJw?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Getting two questions in one text/message.