TDF 2019: Stage 7, Belfort > Chalon-sur-Saône 12/07/2019 - 230 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Belfort > Chalon-sur-Saône 12/07/2019 - Stage 7 - 230 km

The 7th stage of the Tour de France travels from Belfort to a likely sprint finish in Chalon-sur-Saône, heading south west through the Doubs and the Jura départements. At 230 kilometres, it is the longest race in this year's Grande Boucle.

stage-7-tdf-2019-map-700.png

The three small climbs are over and done with by 120km, leaving 110km of flat to the finish, perhaps into the wind. The intermediate sprint is towards the end of the route, at 196.5km.

stage-7-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

In 2012, the Tour de France included Belfort for the last time – also as a departure place. That race was played out on hilly terrain and finished in Porrentruy, where Thibaut Pinot – only 22 years of age – soloed to his first ever Tour de France stage win.
In 2017, Chalon-sur-Saône hosted a finish in Paris-Nice. British cyclist, Brian Robinson, won here in 1959 after a long solo breakaway and the last time the Tour came to Chalon, Frenchman Thierry Marie managed to stay clear of the bunch in the final kilometer to claim his second Tour stage in 1988.

f77ae

The 7th stage may be the longest stage of this year's Tour de France, it certainly isn't the most challenging. It won't be hard to control the race, so the sprint teams should be able to bring their boys to the fore in the finale.
Given his 2019 credentials, Groenewegen is the sprinter to beat. He won ten races, Ewan nine, Viviani took seven sprints, Kristoff four, while Sagan powered to three wins. Yet, the Dutchman crashed hard on stage 1 and did not sprint pain-free, maybe until now.

*** Dylan Groenewegen, Elia Viviani
** Peter Sagan, Caleb Ewan, Alexander Kristoff
* Michael Matthews, Christophe Laporte, Giacomo Nizzolo

Belfort
30 previous stages

Population: 50,000
The famous Lion of Belfort, carved by Bartholdi, has seen many champions in the long history of the city, which immediately followed Metz on the route of the 1907 Tour. A regular stage of the pre-war editions, it has since been used more often as a start than a finish, even though Belgium’s Marc Demeyer, Freddy Maertens' official lead-out man, had seized the opportunity to shine in 1978. The following day, Bernard Hinault won a time trial that allowed him to dislodge Joop Zoetemelk from the top of the overall standings, and start his life in yellow on the Tour de France.
In 2012, the 8th stage took off from Belfort towards Porrentruy, where Thibaut Pinot clinched his first stage victory on the Tour de France.
The most famous Belfort rider is undoubtedly Christophe Moreau, who spent all his adolescence and his first years as a runner in the city of the Lion. He finished 4th in 2000, the most successful of his 15 Tours de France. Belfort is also the hometown of two brotherhoods of cycling. Pascal and Eric Guyot took part in three Tours de France between them. Éric, the youngest, also won the Grand Prix de Plouay. Jean-Paul and Patrick Hosotte also competed together in the 1981 Tour.

The Lion of Belfort
From November 3, 1870 to February 13, 1871 Belfort, then an Alsatian sub-prefecture, was besieged by the Prussian army. While the generals of Napoleon III were swept away in the first weeks of the war, Denfert-Rochereau, a simple colonel, led the operations. Belfort did not abdicate and only surrendered by order of the French government. Thanks to its courageous resistance, Belfort remained French while parts of Alsace and Lorraine were annexed to Germany.
From November 3, 1870 to February 13, 1871 Belfort, then an Alsatian sub-prefecture, was besieged by the Prussian army. While the generals of Napoleon III were swept away in the first weeks of the war, Denfert-Rochereau, a simple colonel, led the operations. Belfort did not abdicate and only surrendered by order of the French government. Thanks to its courageous resistance, Belfort remained French while parts of Alsace and Lorraine were annexed to Germany.
The allocated budget was 2,000 francs. Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi was called to take over the project. He imagined the statue of a lion, sitting against the limestone rock of the citadel; a colossal lion "harassed, cornered and still terrible in his fury".
The Belfort population had to wait for 1880 to admire the lion. Entirely made of pink sandstone from the Vosges, it is 22 meters long and 11 meters high.

6edaa

Specialties: fried carp,

18456650-fried-carp-on-white-plate-with-knife-and-fork-closeup.jpg

cheese (Munster), blueberry pie, belflore (raspberry cake and hazelnuts),

6d6b7b13a24e37ba23b4e4fbd2694f85.jpg

shoulder of the Balloon (lamb stuffed with blueberries), Facettes de Belfort (chocolates stamped with a monument or event).

Chalon-sur-Saône
4 previous stages

Population: 45,390. 117,850 in the 51 communes of Grand Chalon
It has been more than thirty years since the Tour de France last stopped in Chalon-sur-Saône. In 1988, Thierry Marie had won the second of his six stage victories on the Tour after the prologue of the 1986 edition. Under the colours of Castorama, the Frenchman had broken with the bunch in the last 500 meters to outwit the sprinters. It was in the same fashion that Jean Stablinski won in Chalon in 1961 at the end of a stage that also started in Belfort. In 1975, green jersey holder Rik Van Linden dominated the bunch sprint.
In 1959, for the first Tour de France visit, Briton Brian Robinson attacked in the last ascent of the edition and won with a 20 minutes lead over the pack, waiting patiently for the finish in Paris. In 1955, Robinson became the first Briton with Tony Hoar to finish the Tour. Three years later in Brest, he became the first UK rider to win a Tour stage. Sixty years after his victory in Chalon, British road cycling has come a long way.

St Vincent cathedral and cloister of the Canons
The construction of the St. Vincent Cathedral spanned over six centuries. The building mixes Romanesque and Gothic. Construction started in 1090. From this period remain the north and south apse chapels. In the 12th century followed the choir, the transept and the pillars and arches of the nave and aisles. In the 13th and 14th centuries, Gothic replaced Romanesque with the apse of the choir, the walls of the nave and cloister, the vault of the cross of the transept. Finally, in the 15th century, the vault of the nave and the chapels of the aisles were completed. In 1562, the Huguenot fury devastated the church: the statues were destroyed, the treasure removed. During the next two centuries, the change of architectural taste removed some Gothic elements (tombs, stalls and rood screen). At the Revolution, the church became dedicated to the goddess Reason and served as a forage warehouse. The cloister was fragmented and sold. The 19th and 20th centuries were dedicated to restoration. A neo-gothic facade was completed around 1850, the roof was repaired in the late 19th century. The cathedral has been listed as a historical monument since 1903, and its towers have been renovated in 1991.

a0489

Specialties: Grands Crus AOC Côte Chalonnaise. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes for the wines of Mercurey, Givry, Rully and Montigny. AOC Bouzeron. Varietal Aligoté.

5ada0

vins_gamme_millebuis_2017.jpg

Burgundy specialties: ham with parsley, pochouse,

pochouse.jpg

snails, eggs in a sauce, gougères

IMG_9708-copy.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Peloton fun day then after todays antics. A handful of no hopers in the break and then a nice little sprint
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This seems to be just the stage to miss because of a flight.

Now I've said that there'll be some echelon madness or something.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Personal excitement for me as about 1km is on one of the two pieces of French tarmac where I’ve been for a run. That level of excitement may well match the stage’s appeal overall. But at least I’ve got something to look out for in the last few km.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Groenewegen or Kristoff...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Obviously the day when I am working from home is a rubbish stage. Typical.

Bookies have Groenewegen and Viviani level-ish, the same odds at some places, but Groenewegen is a touch ahead on average. Ewan behind, level-ish with Sagan. Kristoff is behind them and is the only other rider with odds 10/1 or less. E.g., Betfred has Groaning Wagon 6/4, Viviani 2/1, Ewan 5/1 and Sagan 6/1.

Inrng tips Viviani (fair enough)
  • I want one of them attacks at 2 km that sticks - what about Terpstra - yes he is in the race !

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I want one of them attacks at 2 km that sticks - what about Terpstra - yes he is in the race !

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9

Is this what Direct Energie are reduced to now, hapless breakaways like that of Calmejane the other day
  • And we’re off. Just 2 in the break.
  • blazing_saddles
    Headwind, too.
    Going to be a long old day in the saddle.

230kms is getting into Kristoff territory.

Offredo and Rosetto the pair on punishment duty.
  • Calmejane a real talent but gone off the boil a bit . He doesn't seem to be getting to that next stage . It's going to be a stage attempt now . Not sure what that attack was about :?
  • blazing_saddles
    EF bad crash!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Silly crash
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Teunissen involved too, but it's Tejay in trouble. :oops:
  • TvG Down
  • blazing_saddles
    Another facial injury, plus hand, shoulder and leg.
    All with over 220kms left to ride.
  • Looks like this is gonna be a long day for a lot of the riders, as well as us watching.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Telling the Belgians aren't going live for another 90 mins 2 hrs or so.
  • blazing_saddles
    17kms covered in the first 30 minutes racing.....................................................
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    And we’re off. Just 2 in the break.

"Hello? Is that the Hague? Yes, I'd like to report something..."
  • blazing_saddles
    My rough calculation has them covering 35kms in the first hour.
    That's 5kms behind the slowest schedule.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

They possibly have collective ptsd after yesterday’s finish.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Sounds like a nice, pleasant ride. Hope they have a cafe stop factored in as well!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I will put my neck on the line and say that I could have kept up so far!

ITV doing a reasonable job of jazzing it up a bit, they're having a chat with Brain Robinson (who won here in 1959).
  • 183km to go. I’m sure it will all get exciting any moment now.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I will put my neck on the line and say that I could have kept up so far!

Too lumpy for me
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    60kms done in 1 hour 45 minutes......
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    This seems to be just the stage to miss because of a flight.

Now I've said that there'll be some echelon madness or something.

Thanks for that. I can see some of this.

On a train all day tomorrow....
    FFS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • When’s the cafe stop again?
  • 183km to go. I’m sure it will all get exciting any moment now.

:D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    i predict this will get exciting 3 minutes before the end