What type?

midgehulluk
midgehulluk Posts: 195
edited July 2019 in MTB general
Hello everyone, I’m looking at biking through the winter months doing XC/bridel ways etc, so my question is what type of bike would be best suited to all the mud I’ll be getting covered in? 650b+/29+/fat bike or a gravel adventure kinda bike?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Do you need or want a new bike?
    What bike have you currently ride and why can’t you ride it through the winter?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • midgehulluk
    I want a new bike, thinking fully rigid. Just not sure what wheel size and tyre size would be best?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Go to Halfords and look at what they have - it will give you a good idea. Generally 26 inch wheels are on their way out - slowly. You might not notice the difference between the remaining wheel sizes - so it becomes preference. I'd look at the Bizango and the Boardman MTB. Maybe think about a hybrid too.
  • midgehulluk
    Maybe I’ve not been clear on the question I’m trying to put across. I’ll try again, which is the best tyre width to deal with winter muddy conditions. Which end of the scale is better? Narrow 1.5”/2.0” or 4.0” ?
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Depends on the type of mud you have really. Loose, wet slurry type mud, I’d go skinny. Thick clay I’d go fat. (My fat bike has two wheel sets for exactly this reason...)

And not go into a Halfords.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Maybe I’ve not been clear on the question I’m trying to put across. I’ll try again, which is the best tyre width to deal with winter muddy conditions. Which end of the scale is better? Narrow 1.5”/2.0” or 4.0” ?

Your original question was
    ... what type of bike would be best suited to all the mud I’ll be getting covered in? 650b+/29+/fat bike or a gravel adventure kinda bike?

I have recently bought a gravel bike and it is a hoot. Riding it is like mountain biking was in the 1980’s but with drop bars.
    It came with 700c wheels and 40mm tyres but will take 650b wheels with tyres up to 2”.
    It’s fine on the road with the tyre pressure at around 60psi and great on bridle ways and non-technical single track with about 40psi. I reckon it will be even more fun in the winter mud with grippier tyres.
    An added bonus is that it has a full compliment of mudguard and rack mounts so will be ideal for bike packing and touring.

I’d say give a gravel or adventure bike a go.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009