TDF 2019: Stage 6, Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 11/07/2019 - 160,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 11/07/2019 - Stage 6 - 160,5 km

Stage 6 is 160.5km from Mulhouse to la Planche-des-Belles-Filles. It's a proper tough, testing mountain stage, featuring Vosges classics such as the Ballon d'Alsace and the Grand Ballon. It finishes with the steep climb to la Planche des Belles Filles, won by Fabio Aru last time the Tour tackled it in 2017. This time however, the race climbs a further 900 metres, on an unpaved section that touches an eye watering (tears for some?) 24%.

D_B3MYuXUAEGk31.jpg

Mulhouse hosts the departure of the Tour de France’s 6th stage. The last time that La Grande Boucle arrived in Mulhouse was in 2014. Tony Martin was on the attack during the whole day and in the last 50 kilometres he soloed to the win.
Peaking at an elevation of 1,148 metres, La Planche des Belle Filles climb in the Vosges Mountains has established a reputation as a puncher’s finish in a short time. In 2012 it debuted in the Tour de France and now, after eight editions, it is already the fourth time that the climb is included. In all three editions La Planche des Belles Filles was a climb of 5.9 kilometres with an average gradient of 8.5%. The ‘new’ Planche des Belles Filles amounts to 7 kilometres at 8.7%.

fb0b1

The stage also includes Le Markstein (10.8 kilometres at 5.4%)
tour-de-france-2019-stage-6-climb-ebbf2ec799.jpg
Grand Ballon (1.3 kilometres at 9%)
tour-de-france-2019-stage-6-climb-n2-fca91d2fb0.jpg
Col du Hundsruck (5.3 kilometres at 6.9%)
tour-de-france-2019-stage-6-climb-n3-3185da6c8f.jpg
Ballon d’Alsace (11 kilometer à 5,8%)
tour-de-france-2019-stage-6-climb-n4-c075652667.jpg

Moreover, GC riders are tempted to open up the finale on the Chevrères, a punchy 3.5 kilometres climb at 9.5%. The Chevrères is crested with 19 kilometres. The descent leads to a false flat of 4 kilometres, which runs to the foot of the final haul up.

tdf19-belles-filles-profile-920.jpg

Favourites 6th stage 2019 Tour de France
Surely, the summit finish at La Planche des Belles Filles will bring the GC riders out of the shadows. There is no place to hide on the steep slopes, which are - to pep things up - unpaved in the last kilometre. Obviously, this is the terrain for the pure mountain goats, lightweights with an explosive acceleration. But you also need stamina in the 6th stage to survive the climb. Moreover, La Planche des Belles Filles is the last one in a long list of Vosges climbs that are on the menu.

**** Thibaut Pinot, Adam Yates, Egan Bernal
*** Mikel Landa, Alejandro Valverde, Rigoberto Uran ,
** Romain Bardet, Daniel Martin, Enric Mas, Michael Woods, Dylan Teuns
* The diesel GC boys

Mulhouse
16 previous stages

Population: 113,000 and 273,000 in the 39 communes of Mulhouse Alsace Agglomeration
Mulhouse hosted the Tour de France sixteen times and has beautiful bicycle tales to tell and especially the story of the Buysse brothers, the only siblings in the Tour history to have held the yellow jersey in the same edition. Winner of the first stage of the 1926 Tour in Mulhouse, Jules Buysse took the jersey that day, three weeks before seeing his brother Lucien win the race in Paris. The Buysse were a real cycling dynasty since their older brother Marcel won six stages in the 1913 Tour and also held the yellow jersey for two days. All had children who became professional riders.

ed583

Mulhouse also hosted two stage starts in 1959 and 1971. The winners list in town includes three Tour winners, Nicolas Frantz, Bernard Hinault and Laurent Fignon.
The last stage finish in Mulhouse, in 2014, saw the triumph of Tony Martin, who raised the arms after a 59-km solo, while Tony Gallopin took the yellow jersey for a day before handing it to its final holder, Vincenzo Nibali. Like the Buysses, the Gallopins could see this ephemeral yellow jersey as a family achievement, since Tony’s father Joel rode several Tours in the 1980s while his uncle Guy was also a professional rider. As for Tony’s other uncle, Alain, a team director with Trek-Segfredo for a long while, he shed a few tears of joy that day.

A picturesque and lively town centre and charming pedestrian streets take visitors along the “red thread”, a 3.8-lm course accessible to people with mobility problems. Mulhouse is also a family and children-friendly town. The Family Plus label is useful to spot the venues and sites suited to the whole family.

52ead

Specialities: Baeckeoffe (meat and vegetable marinated in white wine),

slow-cooked-casserole-alsatian-baeckeoffe-2.jpg

Flammekueche (flambéed tart),

fond-de-tarte-flambee-flammekueche-recette.jpg

Spaetzle (Alsatian pasta), sauerkraut, Sürlawerla (veal liver), Lawerknäpfla (liver quenelles), Kougelhopf (run), Mannala and Schnackala (bread loaves in the shape of men and snails), Schankala (small sweet doughnuts), le Melfor (honey and herbs vinegar), Mulhouse beer.

La Planche des Belles Filles

Three previous stages.
The sole ski resort in the Haute-Saone department and the last summit of the Vosges, La Planche des Belles-Filles made a smashing Tour de France debut when it revealed the climbing talent of Chris Froome. The English rider conquered his first Tour de France stage there in 2012 one year before his overall victory on the Champs-Elysees. That day, the man who was then Bradley Wiggins's main support, surged recklessly in the finale to drop Cadel Evans and win in style. The hold of Team Sky on the Tour had just begun. The stage was also a special one for Frenchman Thibaut Pinot as the race was going through Melisey, a town whose mayor is his father. The FDJ climber waited for the next day in Porrentruy to raise his arms in jubilation. Two years later, Vincenzo Nibali, already winner in Sheffield, went solo to snatch a yellow jersey he would keep all the way to Paris. In 2017, Fabio Aru clinched a prestigious stage victory while Chris Froome went back to his roots to take a yellow jersey he was to take to Paris for the 4th time. Every year, the Trois Ballons Grand Fondo goes up La Planche des Belles Filles, dubbed "the small Alpe d'Huez" by the entrants.

ddb39

Specialities: cancoillotte cheese,

cancoillotte-d88ed7a3-14af-4683-8c61-d322317ddf0-resize-750.jpeg

Charcenne wine and cheese, Fougerolles AOC kirsch,

kirsch-fougerolles-thb.jpg

Villeminfroy water, Grillotines of Fougerolles, myrtles in Belfahy, Montbozon biscuits, Luxeuil lace, Passavant-la-TarbesRochère glass and crystal.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Load of big goat and dog balls, this stage.

Admittedly my French isn't great, but that's what I make out from the climb names.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I heard valverde has lost 6kg ..maybe up him a *
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Another great opener - you should be getting paid for these!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    La Planche des Belles Filles
    Three previous stages.
    The sole ski resort in the Haute-Saone department and the last summit of the Vosges ... Every year, the Trois Ballons Grand Fondo goes up La Planche des Belles Filles, dubbed "the small Alpe d'Huez" by the entrants.
    I rode the Cyclosportive/Gran Fondo Trois Ballons in 2003, including the finishing climb up the Planche, and we entrants in 2003 didn't think of it as "the small Alpe d'Huez" – that sounds like some later journalist's tosh.
    For us it was just our La Planche des Belles Filles, unique in its own way, part of our cyclosportive, without any need for comparison.

And I'd rather that ASO hadn't 'discovered' it. The small quiet peaceful top has been destroyed by enlarging the area for the Tour and all its vehicles, etc.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I heard valverde has lost 6kg ..maybe up him a *

Chapeau!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Forgot to mention that there's 3800 metres of climbing packed into tomorrow's 160kms.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Great little climb. I rode up it in 2012 to watch the stage (what a day!), with a 20kg rucksack full of booze and picnic. I nearly blew my stack, I did. My wife still insists the whole water melon was a good idea. I was so glad when a gendarme told me to get off and walk with about a km to go. If Valverde has lost 10kgs, it'll be like he's riding without that water melon, so he should go twice as fast as me, if my maths are correct.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    An interesting quandry for the King of the Mountains competition. You would think that any prospective KOM suitor would need to be in the break for this stage, but the favourite is currently in Yellow. Will he be allowed into the break?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Load of big goat and dog balls, this stage.

Admittedly my French isn't great, but that's what I make out from the climb names.

yeah La Planche des Belle Filles translates asthe board/plank of the beautiful girls...sounds alot better left in French imo, but can see why Wiggo was bigging up stage 6 as the stage Thomas needs to show GC win credentials
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    “Ironing board of the hotties” on the ITV podcast ;-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95 wrote:
    An interesting quandry for the King of the Mountains competition. You would think that any prospective KOM suitor would need to be in the break for this stage, but the favourite is currently in Yellow. Will he be allowed into the break?

It's a bit tricky, isn't it? I suspect there are a couple of teams that wouldn't mind, even giving him just enough time to hold the yellow for a little while longer as well as getting his kom points, but can't see e.g. Lotto giving him any room.

There's a very early sprint as well (29km), so Sagan and Mathews will be trying to get to that without anyone ahead of them. If they do that by getting in a break then Mathews could well keep rolling for a col or four.

In other news, for some reason I chose today to be on a flight. I've made schoolboy errors like this before, it usually means Steve Cummings wins.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Which GC rider is going to puncture on the gravel section?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237

Sep, obviously ;).
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

It's a bit tricky, isn't it? I suspect there are a couple of teams that wouldn't mind, even giving him just enough time to hold the yellow for a little while longer as well as getting his kom points, but can't see e.g. Lotto giving him any room.

There's a very early sprint as well (29km), so Sagan and Mathews will be trying to get to that without anyone ahead of them. If they do that by getting in a break then Mathews could well keep rolling for a col or four.

In other news, for some reason I chose today to be on a flight. I've made schoolboy errors like this before, it usually means Steve Cummings wins.

a) you absolute wally. I have managed to clear my diary from 3pm onwards.

b) QS may work with ineos to keep the break fairly small and with no KoM favourites so Alaphilippe can pop off the front of the peloton and mop up the remainder.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I probably need to leave the office at 4.40 so hopefully it'll be finished by then...
  • above_the_cows
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Great little climb. I rode up it in 2012 to watch the stage (what a day!), with a 20kg rucksack full of booze and picnic. I nearly blew my stack, I did. My wife still insists the whole water melon was a good idea. I was so glad when a gendarme told me to get off and walk with about a km to go. If Valverde has lost 10kgs, it'll be like he's riding without that water melon, so he should go twice as fast as me, if my maths are correct.

Live scenes...

bd289cd0b3ae172e5e930bc634f7f093.jpg
  • above_the_cows

I have a meeting from 4pm-7pm Greek time so will miss the pointy end action! :(
  • greasedscotsman

Sep, obviously ;).

I think it will be Pinot, who will then have a bit of a meltdown, kicking his bike in frustration.
  • rick_chasey

Sep, obviously ;).

I think it will be Pinot, who will then have a bit of a meltdown, kicking his bike in frustration.

Not Porte?
  • above_the_cows
    Alejandro Valverde's kg = this horse.

tinytinypony.jpg?mode=crop&width=620&height=349&quality=60&scale=both
  • greasedscotsman

Sep, obviously ;).

Not Porte?

Isn't Porte more of a crashy than a pucturey kinda guy?
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Sep, obviously ;).

Not Porte?

No, he'll topple off and cry.
  • above_the_cows

Sep, obviously ;).

Not Porte?

Isn't Porte more of a crashy than a pucturey kinda guy?

Toblerone Boy has had some memorable punctures.

20154995_267974_670.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    Toblerone Boy has had some memorable punctures.

20154995_267974_670.jpg

Of course, forgot about that. Wasn't it Simon Clarke who helped him then, maybe he could do it again!
  • above_the_cows
    Indeed it was. And then Porte was given a time penalty for taking a wheel from a non-team mate. Plus the silly sausage stopped on the wrong side of the road to begin with which compounded the problem.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    That's a lot of climbing. I am hoping movistar/ someone disrupts early.

Time Bonus? Mmmmm
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I'll be running ITV4 on my screen with headphones and the cricket on the office TV (which handily lines up directly above my monitor). Who says the UK has a productivity problem?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    All the favourites on the highlights stating that this is going to be the hardest stage, not sure if it's bluffing or playing down expectations but on looking at the profile I can sort of see why.. that's a hell of a lot of climbing in a relatively short space!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Can't wait. Working hard this morning then decant to the living room for zero work. Annoyingly have a call 2.30-3.30
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Can't wait. Working hard this morning then decant to the living room for zero work. Annoyingly have a call 2.30-3.30

hard work out the window. Now watching cricket.

Adam Yates backing himself firmly for the stage, saying he knows the area well.