Katusha

amrushton
amrushton Posts: 1,249
edited July 2019 in Pro race
News that Katusha could be finishing this year. It's over on cycling news and I heard it on the move podcast

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Could open the door for Canyon to take the licence and bring MvdP into a world tour team.
    Cofidis signing Viviani should get them a world tour licence.
    Wouldn't be surprised if CCC and DD go at the end of the season too.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    could canyon afford to run a world tour team?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373

Well they already sponsor one, one of the biggest womens teams and they have a nice big money hose pointed in the direction of MvdP so probably yeah, wouldn't see them having too much difficulty roping in another title sponsor if they needed it too
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ShutupJens wrote:

Well they already sponsor one, one of the biggest womens teams and they have a nice big money hose pointed in the direction of MvdP so probably yeah, wouldn't see them having too much difficulty roping in another title sponsor if they needed it too

cool would interesting. its good that companies still sponsor cycling. mind you Canyon should be :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    amrushton wrote:
    News that Katusha could be finishing this year. It's over on cycling news and I heard it on the move podcast

L’equipe reporting team will end this year. Riders have all been told to look for new teams
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    iainf72 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

L’equipe reporting team will end this year. Riders have all been told to look for new teams
    They'll all be off to expensive barbers to secure a spot on the new Alpecin team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Wonder if this means that the whole Katusha project is being canned. They had been developing a clothing line... got a couple of pieces on discount a while back, maybe can get my hands on some more now!
  • dish_dash

BTW this comment has been bugging me for a while. CCC have been longstanding sponsors of a cycling team and seem to be picking up riders, so why do you think they might go at the end of the season?

DD maybe... though they still have a clear mission which might pick up a sponsor. They clearly aren't in a happy place at the moment tho
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    dish_dash wrote:

BTW this comment has been bugging me for a while. CCC have been longstanding sponsors of a cycling team and seem to be picking up riders, so why do you think they might go at the end of the season?

DD maybe... though they still have a clear mission which might pick up a sponsor. They clearly aren't in a happy place at the moment tho

Plus they are in their first your at World Tour level so presumably have a 2 year committment?
  • alanparsons
    dish_dash wrote:

Am I right in thinking that getting a World Tour place is related to WT points of the riders in the team?
    If this is the case then surely CCC are in danger of losing their WT place and DDD are doomed, if I am incorrect then they are probably OK.
    The Katusha situation was mentioned in commentary today so it is gaining some weight, Canyon/Alpecin could be a thing next year.

Also Katusha clothing is in the sale at SportPursuit
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=katusha
  • alanparsons
    delete pls, double post
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Shouldn't think Mads Würtz will have too much trouble picking up a ride for next season.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Shouldn't think Mads Würtz will have too much trouble picking up a ride for next season.

Ditto with Nils Politt

They seem to struggle with signing bigger name riders though, couldn't get the best from Tony Martin or Kittel. Too much money
  • dish_dash
    I thought that they were just going to expand the WT to 20 teams with two French teams joining. So no threat of relegation...

ta for the clothing link
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Why would DD be going? NTT have just announced a big tie up as NTT rather than Dimension Data with the TdF, but I think they are not rebranding the team as NTT until next season
  • alanparsons
    dish_dash wrote:
    I thought that they were just going to expand the WT to 20 teams with two French teams joining. So no threat of relegation...

ta for the clothing link

In which case I stand corrected.
    If this is the case it looks like Cofidis and Arkea-Samsic are the two to come in, if Katusha or any others go this could bring Total-DirectEnergie into play.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well L'Equipe are reporting the riders were told after stage 4 the team is folding so look for other contracts, & they hadnt registered the team with the UCI for next year yet...but the team boss is denying it all, though confirms Alpecin are leaving at the end of 2019, and Canyon are up for renewal, so needs a new main sponsor and supply of bikes by the sounds of it to continue...
  • dish_dash
    Rumour is that Israel Cycling may try to pick up the Katusha baton...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Friebos has it from the horse's mouth that the rumour is büllshït.

https://twitter.com/friebos/status/1148986417240055808
    Katusha boss José Acevedo says L’Equipe’s story to the effect that team will close at end of year is wrong. Claims they *have* started registration process for 2020 & are looking for sponsors, notably to replace Alpecin. Ten riders have contracts for next season.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Friebos has it from the horse's mouth that the rumour is büllshït.

https://twitter.com/friebos/status/1148986417240055808
    Katusha boss José Acevedo says L’Equipe’s story to the effect that team will close at end of year is wrong. Claims they *have* started registration process for 2020 & are looking for sponsors, notably to replace Alpecin. Ten riders have contracts for next season.

yeah but, if you are looking for a new main sponsor and potentially a new bike provider, you arent going to get far in the world tour without either on board I suspect is the point that triggered the L'equipe story.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Canyon/MvDP are on a 4 yr. deal. he is the face of canyon across the range of bikes. The story coming out is a Canyon/Alpecin team with him as the leader. Obviously Katusha (maybe Movi) lose the Canyon brand and Alpecin become a main sponsor