Easiest cheapest Channel crossings?

satanas
satanas Posts: 1,303
edited July 2019 in Tour & expedition
So, I'll be heading up to Scotland after WOMAD in a few weeks and eventually need to get back to Paris for a flight. There's a ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, but another option might be to catch a train further south and cross there. Either way, trains are likely to be involved at one or both ends, and booking bikes on European trains is a major hassle; I failed to do so here in Denmark yesterday, which means an expensive return fare instead and a modified itinerary. :-(

Any suggestions? I could fly from somewhere but would prefer to avoid doing so if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Newhaven to Dieppe travelling as a foot passenger plus bike

no idea how you get there but that wasn't in your question :lol::wink:
    FCN = 4
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Thanks. It seems no bikes are allowed on many ferry routes, but that one looks okay.

It might be better/cheaper/quicker for me to just give up and fly Edinburgh to Paris with Easyjet and use one of the CTC/Wiggle plastic bags. Sigh. I hate airports.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yes I've used it many times with my road bike. it's pretty straightforward.

I've flown a few times with my MTB too and although I share your concerns I've not had an issue to date.
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Newhaven Dieppe do indeed take bikes - loads of them - every time we go over ... :)
    But quite how you get there from Edinburgh - there is a train station at Newhaven and it's around 100 miles from there to Paris (center where we went anyway)
    So it depends how much time you've got ....