2.5k time trial bike

wannabecyclist
wannabecyclist Posts: 149
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
I want to switch to a time trial bike for triathlons from my standard road bike.

I want to pay around 2.5k in total and not have to upgrade anything expensive.

I compete (take part) in 70.3 distances.

Anything anyone can recommend. Stores don't seem to stock much and don't really want to buy online without seeing in the flesh first.

Thanks

Comments

• davetex
    davetex Posts: 20
    The Boardman TT bikes look super clean, you can view them at their performance centre nr Evesham if you're over that way
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    What size frame? I have a very nice brand new never ridden Avanti Chrono Evo II with Di2 in Large

7e33c584aea0b309f7a34b343da96907.jpg
  • gazgareth
    gazgareth Posts: 7
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    What size frame? I have a very nice brand new never ridden Avanti Chrono Evo II with Di2 in Large

7e33c584aea0b309f7a34b343da96907.jpg

That looks nice.

Not too sure on frame. My road bike is 56cm/ Cannondale medium.

However looking online TT bikes you should take slightly smaller.

I'm 5"11, short legs, long back
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You don't need to pay that much for a decent set up.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPFOR ... am-force22

£1300 and customisable.

What groupset are you thinking of ?
  • cougie wrote:
    You don't need to pay that much for a decent set up.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPFOR ... am-force22

£1300 and customisable.

What groupset are you thinking of ?

I have been eyeing up the Planet X bikes. However ideally was looking for DI2. I'm not th smoothest cyclist nor the best at maintenance, and find with levers they soon get out of sync and I struggle to sync it back myself and need my local mechanic to tune I think up regularly,
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Go second hand.
    TT bikes in particular don't have a hard life, and Time Triallists always like to "buy speed" with the latest upgrades meaning there are always good deals to be had. Check out the TimeTriallingForum sales page, there is always loads on there.
    £2.5k will go a long, long way second hand.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    second hand all the way, downsize by 1 bike size generally compared to your road bike.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    My mate bought a boardman tt last year. The 9.4 model I think.
    It's very fast on the flat and downhill, not so much going up hills - so pretty much as you would expect.

Looks really nice and he is chuffed to bits with it.
    So definitely one for the OP to consider.

This said, organisers of some timetrials near me are either banning timetrial bikes from entering, or separating the times from standard road bikes.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'd say look for adjustability over 'super aero' for your first one, i.e. don't go for an integrated stem like the bike above.

It's a bit above your budget but Ribble do a DI2 version of their Ultra TT bike. Though their 105 version for £1.6k would leave you a lot of money for regular services with an LBS.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You really don't need to spend a huge amount on a TT bike. The advantages are in the aero position it puts you in.

Groupset and weight don't really matter. Position and decent wheels do.

How many races a year do you do ? The savings could go on training.