Best/Worst Interviewees

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Just a bit of fun, who entertains and who should never have a mic put in front of them?

Best - Sagan/Cavendish
Worst - Adam Yates, his interview in the dauphine were excruciatingly bad, how many times could he say we're all in the same boat

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Richie Porte is the worst I’ve heard lately. It was the sort of thing angst ridden teens would listen to in their bedroom while carving their skin with the compass from their geometry set.

Geraint can be good value.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    How about this one with Robert Millar, about 4:45 in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuiGC9H-f8
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Perfectly understandable given the situation if you ask me.
    Best - Anyone who will say it as it is.
    Worst - Anyone who reverts to "Eh, um, corporate speak...".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Just count the number of time Adam/Simon Yates say "Yeah" when being interviewed. You could base a drinking game on that. Geraint Thomas seems to have caught that bug too now.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Best and worst are Mark Cavendish - depending on his mood
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Jens Voight and Adam Hanson's road antics. As already mentioned Thomas is always good at giving the media time and answering questions with a bit of humour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Pross wrote:
    Richie Porte is the worst I’ve heard lately. It was the sort of thing angst ridden teens would listen to in their bedroom while carving their skin with the compass from their geometry set.
    He is very slit your wrists in lonely bedsit land.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Froome is not great. Boring. Has got a bit better over time.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Matt White's turning out to be pretty poor on ITV4 right now, although in his defence that's because the phone has repeatedly cut out just before he can say anything. It's giving Ned and Dave something to do though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Cadel was always pretty terrible.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    MrB123 wrote:
    Cadel was always pretty terrible.

His squeaky voice provides some comedy value though. And the propensity to pull out zingers like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fe79ZuDKfk

I thought Ben Swift came across very well on todays coverage
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    A lot of interviews depend on the interviewer. There are too many lazy ones that ask a couple of a stock questions

"Tom, a hard day. Talk us through it"

"Mark, a close second place, how do you feel"

etc
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:
    A lot of interviews depend on the interviewer. There are too many lazy ones that ask a couple of a stock questions

etc

This all over yes. Also giving some consideration to how riders feel iss something that can go amiss, Teunissen got asked about losing the yellow jersey the other day when he clearly thought he had a decent chance of holding on - was very awkward indeed
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

etc

Ill need to read Neds books again, but Im sure he explains in one of them, why reporters end up having to do that, it might be something to do with you need a shortish answer because the producers have only given you no more than 20 secs including asking the question, and it might well have been the story he told is he spent all day knowing he'd have to ask Cav one of those and knew the response he'd get if he hadnt won the stage

fingers crossed Cecilie can win a stage at the giro, Id have loved to have heard her reaction to their 3rd stage finish this week
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    The interview with Longo Borgini on the Trek Twitter account is interesting
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    Woods give decent interview.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Cecille Uttrip looks stark raving mad. In a good way. She must be one of the worst people to room with if you're on her team though :lol:

That Wiggins interview is comedy gold
  • mididoctors
    Wiggins is good .. Lance was someone who you tended to want to hear even if it got gauling towards the end.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dave milne wrote:
    Cecille Uttrip looks stark raving mad. In a good way. She must be one of the worst people to room with if you're on her team though :lol:

Yeah, if she was that positive in the mornings it'd do my nut. :-D
    Bet she brings a load of energy to team meetings though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Wiggins is good .. Lance was someone who you tended to want to hear even if it got gauling towards the end.

Lance was box office.

If you look at old interviews in the ITV highlights packages (as I do....christ I'm a nerd), it's really surprising how much time he has to spend chatting to UK TV.

Prickly, sharp, a little arrogant but also quite frank.

He's such a good villain. Too good really.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Of the Dutch speakers Bram Tankink was pretty much rent-a-quote as he was so good on the mic. Museeuw was a fascinating insight into a weird mind.

Stef Clement was usually pretty outspoken.

Best of the current peloton has to be Jan-Willem van Schip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KahrHnD-l5c

to translate "yeah, it felt so f*cking good - oh, I get it, that's not very polite, but yeah, god it felt good"

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190613_04458012
  • dave milne wrote:

As someone noted on Twitter, I'd watch her get interviewed about daily life things:

"How was the trip to the supermarket"

"Oh man! Wow! It was like FULL GAS..."

Another good interviewee is Dowsett
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    PBlakeney wrote:

Perfectly understandable given the situation if you ask me.
    Best - Anyone who will say it as it is.
    Worst - Anyone who reverts to "Eh, um, corporate speak...".

That one with Millar is classic - must have been a nightmare to interview but on camera it's captivating.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dave milne wrote:

As someone noted on Twitter, I'd watch her get interviewed about daily life things:

"How was the trip to the supermarket"

"Oh man! Wow! It was like FULL GAS..."

Well there's nearly ten minutes of that here:
    https://www.facebook.com/inCycleTV/vide ... =2&theater

She doesn't go to the supermarket, but she does go to an outdoor market and buys strawberries, with predictable results :-D
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Dan Martin too, always good and has time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ITV4 have been saying on the Podcast that Sagan is really hard to interview. They make the point that he has now been interviewed about " How it feels to be in green" for near as dammit every stage of every tour for the last 7 years and there just arent enough words in all the languages either side of the mic in the world any more
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Just seen Nibali interviewed on the ITV4 highlights, he always comes across well.
    The interview was about Pannini stickers, I guess it makes a change from the usual cycling based Q's.
  • mididoctors
    FocusZing wrote:
    Dan Martin too, always good and has time.

Yeah really good actually