Chain suck: Worn Ring?

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited July 2019 in Workshop
My Hewitt Cheviot SE touring bike has done around 9,000 miles. Chains have been renewed religiously at 0.75% wear. Chainset and cassette are original. Lately, when changing up from the little ring, I have experienced chain suck on the middle ring rather too frequently.
Is this a sign that it’s time to replace my middle ring?

Thanks
Phil
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    sounds like it, take it off give it a wipe over (wd-40, gt85 etc on a cloth work wonders) and see if the teeth are hook shaped, but it does seem likely
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I'm impressed with 9k on one cassette!
    I have this feeling that starting to mix new bits with old is going to create more problems - just based on my experiences:)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    0.75% wear is too much for a chain. If I leave a chain that long I normally have trashed the cassette. You would get long chainring life and even longer cassette life, changing the chain at 0.5% wear. I should practice what I preach I just pulled of a chain of the audax bike that had 1% wear and a cassette so trashed none of it could be reused.

chain suck is a sure sign of trashed rings.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    david7m wrote:
    I'm impressed with 9k on one cassette!
    I have this feeling that starting to mix new bits with old is going to create more problems - just based on my experiences:)

well I think thats just bikes in general, you fix one bit and pardon the pun the next weakest link in the chain, literally, then becomes the next problem issue, its whether continuing to replace bits in that fashion is then cost effective.

certainly my bike is probably not worth more than a replacement groupset and rear hub (as thats on the way out too) would cost in at now.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    0.75% wear is too much for a chain. If I leave a chain that long I normally have trashed the cassette. You would get long chainring life and even longer cassette life, changing the chain at 0.5% wear. I should practice what I preach I just pulled of a chain of the audax bike that had 1% wear and a cassette so trashed none of it could be reused.

chain suck is a sure sign of trashed rings.

.75 is the accepted optimal point to change 10 speed and lower chains.

.5 for 11 speed.
  • philkeeble
    philkeeble Posts: 109
    Thanks for all replies. My chain checkers (both brands) only have 0.75 and 0.1% wear indicators. Not seen one that has 0.5%. Bike in question is a 9-speed. New chain rings now on order. I've ordered two because a) my wife has same bike and has only a few less miles on it than me and b) because 9-speed chain rings are rapidly becoming scarce!
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    Well here's news for you... You don't have to use 9 spd chainrings! My MTB has a 9spd cassette and 10/11spd narrow-wide single, and my road bike has an 11spd double crankset with a 9 spd cassette, with a 10spd chain! I had to get an 11spd front derailleur but still on standard shifters

Happy fettling!
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    philkeeble wrote:
    Thanks for all replies. My chain checkers (both brands) only have 0.75 and 0.1% wear indicators. Not seen one that has 0.5%. Bike in question is a 9-speed. New chain rings now on order. I've ordered two because a) my wife has same bike and has only a few less miles on it than me and b) because 9-speed chain rings are rapidly becoming scarce!
    Nice, ive got some 9 speed chainrings my wife is still on her dura ace triple from over a decade ago and pre children. It’s good stuff.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    philkeeble wrote:

The Park Tool Chain Checker CC-3.2 has 0.75 and 0.5
    https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-wear-indicator-cc-3-2
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut