How long does it take to get used to single-side clipless pedals? Is it worth it?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited July 2019 in Road general
Didn't have any dedicated pedals for the new bike, and was sharing some M520s with my other bike, which is what I'm used to. Finally got around to ordering some for the new bike and decided to go with A600s. Just went out on the bike today with them, and tbh they were a total pita. They insist on hanging upside down, so I nearly every time I wanted to move it took me ages to get the pedals the right way round and clip in. I don't know how anyone puts up with ss pedals tbh. I''m thinking of just sticking them on eBay and ordering another pair of M520s, with which I can clip in fast and easily. The A600s are lighter, and, apparently, the larger platform is supposed to be "better", but tbh I couldn't tell the difference.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "I''m thinking of just sticking them on eBay and ordering another pair of M520s"

Do that then.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'm going to bite, I use the A520's on the commuter and they're great. They bias towards the SPD side which suits me as 96% of the time I ride the bike it's with SPD cleats.

Maybe try treating the pedals with more respect and they'll respect you back?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    A600 should hang near vertical so if you skim your foot from the back they roll into the right position.

But stick with the M520 if you are happy with those. I can't tell any difference between A520 (cheaper version of your A600) and my M520.
  • bungle73
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I'm going to bite, I use the A520's on the commuter and they're great. They bias towards the SPD side which suits me as 96% of the time I ride the bike it's with SPD cleats.

I don't think I could be bothered with another ss system. i think I want to stick with what I know, and know I get on with. And they're ceap too. The only problem I've found is that they developed an annoying squeak.
    Maybe try treating the pedals with more respect and they'll respect you back?

And that means what?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    How much do you want for your A600 (posted uk)?
  • bungle73
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    A600 should hang near vertical so if you skim your foot from the back they roll into the right position.

But stick with the M520 if you are happy with those. I can't tell any difference between A520 (cheaper version of your A600) and my M520.

They do..to an extent, but they also have a habit of hanging upside down. It's probably just a case of getting used to them, but I dunno how long I can be bothered to persevere with it.

It's a pain when I'm on a road with a bit of traffic and I'm faffing around trying to get clipped in while moving off.
  • bungle73
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    How much do you want for your A600 (posted uk)?

You want them? Well I paid £63 for them, and I've used them once (today). How much are you offering?
  • keef66
    I used SPDs on road bikes for years. Pedals and cleats last forever. But when my trusty old touring shoes needed replacing I found that there were many more 3 bolt road shoes to choose from, so I thought I'd give them, and SPD-SLs a whirl.

I like them. I feel a bit better attached / supported. 99% of my riding I set out from home and barely put a foot down till I'm back. Just need a bit more care in clipping in. Got them on both road bikes now.

But if I was commuting with lots of stop-start or possibly touring with bits of walking and occasionally restarting on hills, I'd probably go back to SPDs and shoes with a recessed 2 bolt cleat.

Spray your SPD pedals with a bit of beeswax furniture polish if they are squeaking against your shoes
  • bungle73
    keef66 wrote:
    I used SPDs on road bikes for years. Pedals and cleats last forever. But when my trusty old touring shoes needed replacing I found that there were many more 3 bolt road shoes to choose from, so I thought I'd give them, and SPD-SLs a whirl.

I like them. I feel a bit better attached / supported. 99% of my riding I set out from home and barely put a foot down till I'm back. Just need a bit more care in clipping in. Got them on both road bikes now.

But if I was commuting with lots of stop-start or possibly touring with bits of walking and occasionally restarting on hills, I'd probably go back to SPDs and shoes with a recessed 2 bolt cleat.

Spray your SPD pedals with a bit of beeswax furniture polish if they are squeaking against your shoes

No commuting (yet?) or touring on this bike. just general country rides. But my rides involve having to stop at a lot of junctions, and negotiating some town roads to get to and from my house.

I started riding clipless on the MTB, and I already had compatible shoes anyway, so when I bought my first road bike I put the same on that. I'm not the sort of person who agonsises too much over shoe choice - I just buy whatever really. I did buy some new (SPD) ones recently(ish) and they have a really stiff sole, which probably helps a lot.

Thanks for the tip about polish. My research had suggested some kind of lubrication. I tried rubbing them with a candle (which someone suggested), but that was a failure. It took me ages trying to work out where it was coming from, but I finally narrowed it down to the pedals.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I tried rubbing them with a candle (which someone suggested), but that was a failure.

That might have been a wind-up...
  • bungle73
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I tried rubbing them with a candle (which someone suggested), but that was a failure.

That might have been a wind-up...

Why? In theory the wax would act as a lubricant. And it wasn't written like a wind up. I've had success in silencing them just drenching them in some water from my bottle, but of course that only lasts a while.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've heard the candle thing before for lubrication.

I must admit I bought the first look pedals back in the 80s and never looked back since. Never had a clipless moment. The key is to unclip before you stop. You can keep the front part of the cleat engaged if you don't need to put the foot down.
  • keef66
    I found out a couple of weeks ago that if you mash SPD-SL cleats while pushing your bike up hill, they can become rather harder to disengage. Which is a problem if you've just dropped the chain off the granny ring and jammed it. Of course I fell sideways into the middle of the road, expensive side down.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Re: How long does it take to get used to single-side clipless pedals? .....?

Um, twice as long as it takes to get used to double sided SPD pedals, or am I missing something.

Truth be told when I bought my bike 2nd hand it had those with SPD on one side and metal platform on the other. They were such a PITA that they lasted 2 rides before I learned to ride with SPS properly. The pedals went in the bin

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Is it your cousin on here who wears his bibs back to front and shows his ar se?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • bungle73
    I think I may just persevere with them for now, and see if I can get used to them. I don't want to turn into a Matt Stephens.
    Is it your cousin on here who wears his bibs back to front and shows his ar se?

No I think that may be you.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Replaced double sided ATACs with Xpro 10s on the Cube ~7 weeks ago, I've had the odd mini-fail clipping in, but they've mostly behaved or I've been lucky.

Still not getting used to how fragile plastic cleats are, at this rate they might not even last a year, I'm still on the same set of metal ATACs from ~13 years ago! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think my atac cleats are 20 years old or so now ! Fantastic bits of kit.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Just get some speed plays.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    IMG_9760_700x.jpg?v=1519214872

Get back to us when you fall over.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    PBlakeney wrote:

It was so much easier to topple over in those compared to clipless. The joys of desperately trying to release the toe strap when green turned to red at traffic lights.
  • bungle73
    PBlakeney wrote:

I've already used them for years, before I went clipless.
  • bungle73

It would mean using a complete different set of cleats and a completely different set of shoes for the one bike.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Careful when you post your pedals, make sure you declare the contents of the package correctly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I've already used them for years, before I went clipless.
    First World problems of the highest order then.
    SPD are so, so, so much easier.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bungle73 wrote:

It would mean using a complete different set of cleats and a completely different set of shoes for the one bike.

Your knees would be fine though... :roll:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bungle73
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Your knees would be fine though... :roll:

What.............?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I use M324's on my MTB and have no problems clipping in when I need to and even if the pedal slips/flips over, the flat side is fine with SPD shoes.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    MugenSi wrote:
    I use M324's on my MTB and have no problems clipping in when I need to and even if the pedal slips/flips over, the flat side is fine with SPD shoes.

Ditto, on my MTB and gravel bikes. My favourite pedals by far.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere