TDF 2019: Stage 4, Reims > Nancy 09/07/2019 - 213,5 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Reims > Nancy 09/07/2019 - Stage 4 - 213,5 km

The 4th stage of the Tour de France is played out in the northern part of France. At 213.5 kilometres, the route leads from Reims to Nancy for a likely sprint finish.
The riders set off in Reims for a race in easterly direction. On predominantly flat roads the course runs to Nancy, where the brilliant Fausto Coppi won stages in the only two editions of the Tour de France he competed in – 1949 and 1952.

stage-4-tdf-2019-map.png

The peloton leaves Reims and heads south east to Chalons-en-Champagne. Then, the route continues to Bar-le-Duc, before the first of two Category 4 climbs - the Côte de Rosières (1km at 7%).

The intermediate sprint comes at Lérouville.

The second Category 4 climb, the Côte de Maron (3.2km at 5%) is 15km before the finish. Could it provide the opportunity for a solo or group attack to get away and evade the sprinters' teams? Unlikely.
There's a roundabout and a left hand bend 1.5km before the finish, then a straight-line sprint to the line in Nancy alongside the Meurthe.

stage-4-tdf-2019-profile.jpg

Nancy hosted thirteen Tour de France finishes since 1947. The 7th stage of the 2014 Tour de France traveled on a similar route from Épernay to Nancy. The finale was pepped up by two cols before Matteo Trentin outgunned Peter Sagan in a blistering sprint on the line.
The sprint in Nancy is much more straightforward than stage 1, so perfectly suited for the pure sprinters.

89d66

Favourites 4th stage 2019 Tour de France

*** Dylan Groenewegen, Elia Viviani
** Peter Sagan, Caleb Ewan, Alexander Kristoff
* Giacomo Nizzolo, André Greipel, Christophe Laporte, Cees Bol, Andrea Pasqualon

Reims
12 previous stages

Population: 187,040 hab. (292,000 in the 143 communes of Grand Reims urban community.

The Tour de France has had the chance to raise its glass of champagne 12 times in the town that made the beverage famous. And almost every time, a sprinter sparkled in Reims. The last time was in 2014, when Andre Greipel raised his arms for his 6th victory on the Tour. Five more were to follow. Four years earlier, in 2010, Alessandro Petacchi earned the last of his six Tour stage wins in Reims. Eight years previously, stage honours when to Robbie McEwen for the second of his 12 stage wins.
Before them, Cyrille Guimard, Francis Castaing or Djamolidin Abdoujaparov were also crowned in the town of coronations. In 1951, Reims was the finish of the first stage in the race. Swiss Giovanni Rossi set the tone by taking the yellow jersey that would finally go to compatriot Hugo Koblet. Reims also held two world championships, won by Theo Middelkamp in 1947 and by Ercole Baldini in 1958.
Reims is also the hometown of Pauline Ferrand-Prévot, the 2014 road world champion, but also the 2015 mountain bike and cyclo-cross world champion, making her the only simultaneous holder of three world crowns in cycling.

Cathedral
Reims Notre-Dame cathedral was built in the 13th century, after the cathedrals of Paris and Chartres, but earlier than Strasbourg, Amiens or Beauvais. It was completed in the 14th century when it was broadened to allow attendances to coronations inside. It is considered one of the major realisations of gothic art as well for its architecture as for its ornaments which include as many as 2,303 statues. It has been a World Heritage Site since 1991. The most visited monument in Reims, it attracted 1.5 million visitors in 2007. Since the coronation of Louis I in 816, almost every coronation was held in the cathedral in memory of Clovis crowning by St Remi, the first bishop of Reims, in 496.

61f1d

City Centre

reims_7.jpg

Montange de Reims
The only village rated 100% Grand Cru and a place "we" have shared a long association with.

G47950-FR-01_uxga.jpg

Nancy
17 previous stages

Population: 108,000. 255,000 in the 20 communes of the Grand Nancy metropolis.

Like every local in a Tour stage, Christophe Mengin had vowed to shine on his native ground in the 2005 edition. Involved in the break of the day, the Francaise des Jeux rider had been cunning enough to part company with his companions right on time to reach the finale in Nancy on his own. The pouring rain broke his dreams as he crashed into the barriers in the last kilometre as he was only a few yards away from a prestigious victory. Italy’s Lorenzo Bernucci could hardly believe his luck, who took the day’s laurels much to the public’s disappointment. Knocked out on the tarmac, the unfortunate Mengin said when he discovered the damage: “I look more like a boxer than a cyclist!”
Nancy was the finish point of four crucial time trials in the history of the Tour. In 1949, Fausto Coppi outclassed everybody including Gino Bartali, whom he left 11 minutes adrift over 137 km, before repeating the feat in 1952. In 1954 and 1978, Louison Bobet and Bernard Hinault also strengthened their yellow jerseys in 72-km timed efforts.

In 2014, Matteto Trentin won the stage that already took the peloton from Epernay to Nancy, ahead of Peter Sagan and Tony Gallopin. The 2018 European champion, twice winner of Pairs-Tours, won a total of seven stages on the three Grand Tours.

661bb

Place Stanislas (Stanislaw Square)
Nancy is famous the world over for the architecture of its town centre and three squares listed since 1983 by UNESCO as a World Heritage site: place Stanislas, place de la Carriere and place d’Alliance.

Place-Stanislas.jpg

Specialties: bergamots, macaroons, plums, rum baba, saint Epvre (cake),

nancy-patisserie-adam-saint-epvre-gateau-amande-creme-beurre.jpg

pâté lorrain, quiche lorraine,

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwgbh.brightspotcdn.com%2F68%2F45%2F0ed45df643f5a98e6f237f20c3ce%2Fquiche-lorraine.jpg

steak and kidney pie. Daum crystal factory.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    I do like that cheeky 4th cat
  • Thanks as ever for these intro threads, much appreciated 8)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I do like that cheeky 4th cat

Bit far out . Does not look that testy. I believe this is it. Mmmm lotto blocks or Bora drives.

63 D92
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/n8kicsxyAANH7RqbA

127 Rue de Nancy
    https://www.google.com/maps/@48.639153, ... zrzkxw!2e0
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    so will this turn out to be as good as yesterday? I hope so
  • mididoctors
    so will this turn out to be as good as yesterday? I hope so
    who can say. I doubt it. That sort of thing is a bit rare.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I do like that cheeky 4th cat

Bit far out . Does not look that testy. I believe this is it. Mmmm lotto blocks or Bora drives.

63 D92
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/n8kicsxyAANH7RqbA

127 Rue de Nancy
    https://www.google.com/maps/@48.639153, ... zrzkxw!2e0

Yeah but the ramp starts earlier and its after 180 km of racing - that's enough for the puncheurs I reckon and with less sprinters this year there are less teams to pull it back
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Kasper Asgreen cleared to start after yesterday's crash.
    He had concussion tests yesterday evening and again this morning, compared to a baseline they took in winter training. Glad to see concussion being taken seriously.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Do they introduce a free ride to the finish for riders to discourage them riding on if it isn't clear if they have concussion or not .
  • Can't believe the mechanics have go his bike ready again for the stage they must have been up all night

Sagan giving bit salutes to the crowd - he's been such a positive . Could be his day
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Can't believe the mechanics have go his bike ready again for the stage they must have been up all night

Sagan giving bit salutes to the crowd - he's been such a positive . Could be his day

New bike presumably? Assuming you mean Asgreen. didn't the bike get destroyed in the crash?
  • oFFREDOOOOOOOOOO

actually dont think it is - two Wanty in the break
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Break of three gets away straight from the off, peloton says "cheers guys" and spreads across the road.

Yoann Offredo, Frederik Backaert and Michael Schär
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Quick nature break to let them get up the road.
  • blazing_saddles
    Going to be a slower day, given only Wanty +1 could be arsed,
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2019
    I know this road so well.
    Ludes on the peloton left, Mailly on the right.
    Champagne producing friends of ours are waiting at the crossroads.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    Not been watching closely enough. What are this year's most annoying and over-repeated adverts?

Can anything match the man who takes an elephant to a party and then is upset by someone else's behaviour?
  • mididoctors
    Boulevard Jean Moulin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/dDnHAnbSvboVnYh18

1.7 k to go
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Going to be a slower day, given only Wanty +1 could be arsed,

4th longest stage of the Tour, coming off the back of a long and brutal stage yesterday, and hitting the Vosges tomorrow.
    There are head/cross winds today as well.

It's a proper GC day off (barring proper crosswinds) with little in it for a break (possible chance to attack on the cat4 15km out instead).

Probably some nice chateaux to look at for those that have the TV on.

Viviani the top pick I think, though QS suffer a little from having Asgreen trying to consolidate the lantere.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Boulevard Jean Moulin

1.7 k to go

WTF?

That's insane.
  • kingstongraham
    Boulevard Jean Moulin

1.7 k to go

WTF?

That's insane.

Sweeping left hander slightly downhill through that at top speed.
  • mididoctors
    Boulevard Jean Moulin

1.7 k to go

WTF?

That's insane.

seen worse . It's a good line and surface just narrows a fair bit . Teams will know about it . It's flagged in the roadbook.
  • much as I really like Offredo I would like to see him either

attack later in the race
    or
    sit on the back and wait for Guilliames day
  • mididoctors
    Boulevard Jean Moulin

1.7 k to go

WTF?

That's insane.

Sweeping left hander slightly downhill through that at top speed.

It's a sweeper alright . If it's lined out going in should be ok up front ...thinking bunching at the back may be a issue
  • kingstongraham
    Clearly didn't want to shut down Aldi by using the big wide road parallel to it. I don't think they chose it for the scenery.
  • mididoctors
    much as I really like Offredo I would like to see him either

attack later in the race
    or
    sit on the back and wait for Guilliames day

I rider we all know of because he is just there.
  • mididoctors
    Clearly didn't want to shut down Aldi by using the big wide road parallel to it. I don't think they chose it for the scenery.

Parallel road goes over the river. It looks worse than it will be i think/hope ... I tend to Google map all the flagged corners .
  • blazing_saddles
    Cofidis involved in a bit of self-chuting. :oops:
  • mididoctors
    Cofidis involved in a bit of self-chuting. :oops:
    Missed that what happened?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Fair play to Tony Martin bringing 200 riders along for his training ride.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Unfortunate nobody wants to drill it, because that section there looked distinctly echelon-friendly.