Miche Primato 11 speed cassette-Help!

jamieluton
jamieluton Posts: 30
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

So recently I have replaced the drive train ( chainrings, chain and cassette) on my Canyon. It is running Campag Athena.

Got all the parts in and on the work stand all appeared to be fine. I put the Miche Primato 11 cassette on and noticed the spacing between the largest and 2nd to largest sprockets was smaller than all the other spacing's. I contacted Chicken Cycles directly and they advised that was correct and should run fine as the are offset, with this in mind I carried on with the bike in the work-stand and tuned the gears.

At the weekend I manged to get out into the peaks and it was having none of it, trying to ride in the 2nd largest sprocket was just impossible up the climb due to gears crunching despite changing fine in the work stand.

Is it just a case of keep fiddling with the adjuster and being mega patient? Just wandered with the sprockets being closer together am I missing a trick as it were? Being that im not the fittest of cyclists these gears are key for me haha! :lol:

Has anyone had any experience with these cassettes? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

J

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I've never heard of the offset thing before, however I did find this on cycleclinic's website:

"The last sprocket is self spacing but a thin metal spacer should be used with the steel last position sprocket and is supplied to space it properly. The alloy last position sprocket does not need this spacer. Resin spacers are included to separate the sprockets that don't separate themselves."

The only other thing I could think of - and guessing at what they mean by offset in this context - is to make sure that the cog is the correct way round? Though I'm not sure the cogs would even fit on a Campag freehub if they weren't on the correct way...
  • jamieluton
    Bondurant wrote:
    I've never heard of the offset thing before, however I did find this on cycleclinic's website:

"The last sprocket is self spacing but a thin metal spacer should be used with the steel last position sprocket and is supplied to space it properly. The alloy last position sprocket does not need this spacer. Resin spacers are included to separate the sprockets that don't separate themselves."

The only other thing I could think of - and guessing at what they mean by offset in this context - is to make sure that the cog is the correct way round? Though I'm not sure the cogs would even fit on a Campag freehub if they weren't on the correct way...

I hadn't ever hard of it either if i'm honest, and yeah i tried the old flip it over trick initially only to result in them practically touching.

Is that saying that it does or does not need the space between the last 2 sprockets? Or is it differing if I have a steel or allot model?

Thanks

J
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The last (ie biggest) sprocket on Miche cassettes is concave/convex (depending on which way round it is). Assuming it is fitted in the correct orientation it will provide adequate spacing for the next sprocket to go straight on without a separate spacer.

There was a thread on here about Miche cassettes a while ago which might help some more..
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Have you checked that the cassette is sitting placed as far along the spindle as possible? When I fitted my primato (also running Athena) I needed to give them a bit of a tap with a rubber hammer to make sure they were as far along as possible. Once I'd done that and ensured that all the sprockets were the right way around did it run properly.
  • jamieluton
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Have you checked that the cassette is sitting placed as far along the spindle as possible? When I fitted my primato (also running Athena) I needed to give them a bit of a tap with a rubber hammer to make sure they were as far along as possible. Once I'd done that and ensured that all the sprockets were the right way around did it run properly.

I'm guessing if this was an issue the lock-ring wouldn't have gone on? I tightened that up no issue really.

Hows yours running now? all good?
  • jamieluton
    Imposter wrote:
    The last (ie biggest) sprocket on Miche cassettes is concave/convex (depending on which way round it is). Assuming it is fitted in the correct orientation it will provide adequate spacing for the next sprocket to go straight on without a separate spacer.

There was a thread on here about Miche cassettes a while ago which might help some more..

Im so sure I got it the correct way around, ill double check when I get home...but im sure when i checked it I spotted the concave shape of it and thus used this to give spacing as you mentioned.
  • Thigh_burn
    Jamieluton wrote:
    I'm guessing if this was an issue the lock-ring wouldn't have gone on? I tightened that up no issue really.

Yes, you're probably right. Working all well now, no issues.
  • jamieluton
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Jamieluton wrote:

Well thats good news! What the spacing between the biggest 2 sprockets like? same as all others?
  • Thigh_burn
    Jamieluton wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Jamieluton wrote:

Well thats good news! What the spacing between the biggest 2 sprockets like? same as all others?

Yes it's the same, or at least looks to be the same - I haven't actually measured it.
  • jamieluton
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Jamieluton wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Jamieluton wrote:

Yes it's the same, or at least looks to be the same - I haven't actually measured it.

I must be missing something, mine just are not spaced properly on those last 2 sprockets :roll: