First time expedition help

crazymilk
crazymilk Posts: 18
edited July 2019 in MTB general
I am looking for some advice please

Me and my riding buddy are really keen to look at doing a weekend ride out/camp somewhere in the UK. Neither of us have ever done or planned anything like this before as we are both “a few hours down the local red route” kind of riders but would like to expand our mtb experience.

We would look to drive somewhere on a Friday, camp that night and then do a day’s riding then camp again with a BBQ, some (a lot probably!) beers then drive back on the Sunday.
Having never done anything thing like this before of course I googled and places such as Nan Bield Pass, Cut Gate Path and Howgill Fells keep popping up.

Are we looking at the right type of places for this maiden excursion or should we be looking elsewhere.

Basically looking for some advise on what, where and how we could make this happen?

Thanks all.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Have a look on Facebook for `Coggers` MTB Group. A lot of them are Sheffield/Peaks based riders and do a lot of riding that way.

At least one of them does overnight stuff like that and is usually happy for others to join them and/or give advice.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've camped a few times in Edale at the Fieldhead Campsite, it's an ideal spot to set of for all day rides, day after day. I've spent a week there and gone out each day on a different route.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • crazymilk
    crazymilk Posts: 18
    robertpb wrote:
    I've camped a few times in Edale at the Fieldhead Campsite, it's an ideal spot to set of for all day rides, day after day. I've spent a week there and gone out each day on a different route.

Thanks for that, where did you ride/recommend while staying there?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'd go and buy the OS OL1 the Peak District, Dark Peak area £8.99 plus you get the mobile download. There is nothing like having a large area paper map out planning routes. It's easy when you're camping to plan the route each day to how you feel from the day before plus the weather can make a big difference on where to ride.

I've tended to set off with a general idea of direction then plan on the hoof, then if the trail splits, take the one that looks the most interesting. Half way out I then start planing a return.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"