Prime Wheels - White logo

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Morning,

Looking to get a set of prime carbon wheels but all the black logoed ones are out of stock, white ones only.
i think the white logos are a bit naff, but are they just stickers??

Peelable with the help of a hairdryer?

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    should be and a bit of nail varnish remover for the glue underneath.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The black logos on the ones I had were painted so I would assume the white ones are as well. It's not possible to remove them without destroying the finish.
  • Shaun67
    Shaun67 Posts: 219
    I wouldn't under any circumstances use nail varnish remover, evil stuff that !
  • Shaun67 wrote:
    I wouldn't under any circumstances use nail varnish remover, evil stuff that !

What do you get your nail varnish off with then?

Sorry should have been a smiley face at end of question but I always get "invalid character" message when I try to add one!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What do you get your nail varnish off with then?

Sand blaster of course!

If they are stickers better to soak them off hot water with a bit of dish soap, wont affect the wheels bar cleaning them.
  • Acetone (nail varnish), won't affect the rims at all...
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    If you get the RR-50 SE version, they come with black decals in the box- you can easily peel the flashy hologram ones off and stealth them up.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Acetone (nail varnish), won't affect the rims at all...

Yep, perfectly safe and recommended for cleaning your rims by the likes of Zipp and Reynolds.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Nail Varnish remover will cause cosmetic damage, it will strip any gloss finish for instance.

Apply heat from an hairdryer or the like to remove the vinyl graphics and if any adhesive
    remains a little petrol on a cloth will remove it.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    https://www.therange.co.uk/household/cl ... er/#107710
    After gentle heat with a hair dryer to remove decal try this stuff, it removes any residue. Have used it on all sorts of things. Leaves no marks. Can get it from numerous places.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    siddy1972 wrote:
    If you get the RR-50 SE version, they come with black decals in the box- you can easily peel the flashy hologram ones off and stealth them up.

These are out of stock at Wiggle as well.

OP - As has been said, the grey/black decals are not removable, so I also presume the white are the same. I'd just wait for new stock in the black if I were you. I have them and the black is very subtle.
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Will have a set of RP-38 v1 in black and grey for sale next week :-)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    There's nothing special about the Prime wheels other than they are sold by Wiggle: they have generic Chinese rims, Taiwanese hubs and spokes from the likes of Sapim, DT Swiss or perhaps cheaper Pillar spokes. You can get a much better deal on the same thing going for "Fulfilled by Amazon" offers from Chinese manufacturers without the risks and delays in purchasing from China direct, e.g:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QIQI-Bikes-Cli ... FMV0JRSCVJ

These are 40 mm, weigh only 1400 g and have the same Novatec straight pull hubs as the Black Editions and use quality Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

I'm not sure what hubs these are or if the logos are removable, but these are ridiculously light at 1357g

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QIQI-Bikes-Sup ... /B07RZ7D4H

These were also recently available as "Fulfilled by Amazon" but seem to be now only available from China:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    test
  • You can get a much better deal on the same thing going for "Fulfilled by Amazon" offers from Chinese manufacturers without the risks and delays in purchasing from China direct, e.g
    You can also order from Chain Reaction/Wiggle using cycle to work and save more