Build your ultimate sprint team

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
edited July 2019 in Pro race
Rules:
8 riders. Past or present. Your goal: to win every sprint stage in the TdF, including in Paris.
Inspired by
RichN95 wrote:
If you type in Best Cycling Lead Out into Google, eight of the top ten are about Renshaw. His Wikipedia page is fourth pick.

Fabio Sabatini rightfully gets a nod. Gianni Lombardi defined the role in its modern sense. Marco Velo and Danilo Hondo developed it. Tom Veelers with Koen de Kort changed the game (the second last man - Eisel for Cavendish - is the most underrated role in cycling)

But if you're picking your all time dream squad Renshaw is in.

My picks:
Sprinter: Cav
Lead out: Renshaw, Eisel, Koen de Kort
The meat: Tony Martin, Michael Rogers, Ji Cheng, Kiriyenka

They're also going to kill the TTT.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Cav
    Renshaw
    Cancellara
    Hincape
    Sean Yates
    Riis
    Keisse

Keisse counts double since he’s so good at it so there’s my eight.

Or add dries devenyns.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    It's already been done: HTC 2009.

Maybe swap Kirchen or Monfort out for Peter Sagan to pick up all all the lumpy ones too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Cavendish - sprinter
    Renshaw - lead out
    Kelly - late positioning/hilly sprints
    McGee - for high speed 1-3km bursts
    Cancellara, Martin, Hansen, Rogers - engine room with Rogers as road captain. Hansen in for reliability
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

This

Ride on the front all day. Then ride so fast in the last 15km that no one could pass them
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    You guys have some big names with their own ambitions in your teams. You see Kelly, Riis and Cancellara breaking themselves every day to get Cav over the line?

Maybe swap Kirchen or Monfort out for Peter Sagan to pick up all all the lumpy ones too.

Yeah, was trying to do an all-time. Looking at it, I seem to have chosen 5 of the HTC 2009 TdF team anyway:

Cavendish Mark
    Martin Tony
    Hincapie George
    Monfort Maxime
    Rogers Michael
    Renshaw Mark
    Eisel Bernhard
    Grabsch Bert
    Kirchen Kim
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cavendish Mark
    Martin Tony
    Hincapie George
    Monfort Maxime
    Rogers Michael
    Renshaw Mark
    Eisel Bernhard
    Grabsch Bert
    Kirchen Kim

That really was a great team!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Yeah, was trying to do an all-time.

TBF I basically nicked Douglas Adams' line about the Beatles (I think).

It's hard to see how they could have been improved though - you've got the diesel power, you've got the wise heads, you've got some very fast people for the last few km, a lead-out man who raised the bar and a sprinter who could pull wins from nowhere. And you've got a proven team synergy, which as you say is where an all-star proposal is likely to fall apart.

Alternative proposal: Cipollini's team, as long as it includes the bloke from the Giro who designed an unholy number of sprint stages for him to win.
  • rick_chasey
    You guys have some big names with their own ambitions in your teams. You see Kelly, Riis and Cancellara breaking themselves every day to get Cav over the line?

Yeah, was trying to do an all-time. Looking at it, I seem to have chosen 5 of the HTC 2009 TdF team anyway:

Cavendish Mark
    Martin Tony
    Hincapie George
    Monfort Maxime
    Rogers Michael
    Renshaw Mark
    Eisel Bernhard
    Grabsch Bert
    Kirchen Kim

Pre doping Riis and Cancellara did decent turns in the final at Saxo
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I was half hoping somebody would find an argument for putting the Tashkent Terror in, but I guess nobody was that daft.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I was half hoping somebody would find an argument for putting the Tashkent Terror in, but I guess nobody was that daft.
    He'd be DQd most stages these days
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

I haven't done one yet was going to go down a different route of a team of top class sprinters on the basis one of them would win so Abdu would be in that.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Rules:
    8 riders. Past or present. Your goal: to win every sprint stage in the TdF, including in Paris.
    Inspired by
    RichN95 wrote:
    If you type in Best Cycling Lead Out into Google, eight of the top ten are about Renshaw. His Wikipedia page is fourth pick.

Fabio Sabatini rightfully gets a nod. Gianni Lombardi defined the role in its modern sense. Marco Velo and Danilo Hondo developed it. Tom Veelers with Koen de Kort changed the game (the second last man - Eisel for Cavendish - is the most underrated role in cycling)

But if you're picking your all time dream squad Renshaw is in.

My picks:
    Sprinter: Cav
    Lead out: Renshaw, Eisel, Koen de Kort
    The meat: Tony Martin, Michael Rogers, Ji Cheng, Kiriyenka

They're also going to kill the TTT.

Ji Cheng out, Ekimov in for me

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:

I haven't done one yet was going to go down a different route of a team of top class sprinters on the basis one of them would win so Abdu would be in that.

So you've got the 8 best sprinters, wheel-surfing without leadout... and which teams are going to bring the break back and pull on the front for the finish for you? :D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Merckx surely. Because otherwise someone else would have him.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Surely if you want to win every sprint stage you need to have two sprinters?

Otherwise a rider on another team who had kept powder dry would get lucky sooner or later.

I mean, even with 2009 Cav/HTC, you wouldn't bet against 2013 Kittel pinching a stage... or Greipel for that matter, who had a long running habit of getting one at least.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Pross wrote:

So you've got the 8 best sprinters, wheel-surfing without leadout... and which teams are going to bring the break back and pull on the front for the finish for you? :D

I was thinking the 6 best sprinters plus Cheng and Tony Martin then a free for all sprint :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I was thinking the 6 best sprinters plus Cheng and Tony Martin then a free for all sprint :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Post it up.

Oh and Abdoujaparov will manage to take out your entire team, leaving it open for... errr... Boasson Hagen.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    TimothyW wrote:
    Surely if you want to win every sprint stage you need to have two sprinters?

Otherwise a rider on another team who had kept powder dry would get lucky sooner or later.

I mean, even with 2009 Cav/HTC, you wouldn't bet against 2013 Kittel pinching a stage... or Greipel for that matter, who had a long running habit of getting one at least.

Well in 2009 there were ten flat stages and Cav won 6 of them. 3 were won from the break, and the last was Hushovd - in an uphill drag after a pretty rolling day for being classified as flat.
  • rick_chasey
    Who would be in the car?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Who would be in the car?

Well Cav is at the pointy end, so I reckon Rolf Aldag and Brian Holm.
  • rick_chasey
    Who would be in the car?

So I can’t pick that too?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Who would be in the car?

So I can’t pick that too?

Well it's not a sweepstake. Otherwise I'd not let you have Cav.

Of course, if you're worried about reputational damage from picking the same as me I can't help you, but consider it a real risk.
  • rick_chasey
    No I want to pick who is in my car!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No I want to pick who is in my car!

Go for it.

You're low on sleep, aren't you? :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    What gave that away?

Bruyneel....
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Renshaw was dogsh1t. Anyone could have looked good piloting Cavendish in his prime. This was clearly shown by Cavendish’s ability to surf wheels later in his career and the fact that Renshaw was utterly hopeless in any role after moving on.

And I never buy any of that “team did a great job” Cav used to spout. 99% was his talent and speed.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Arnaud Demare?

No, wait - I thought you said holding the car.
  • timothyw
    Van Aert is looking like a great addition/substitution for any sprint team - huge pulls and enough speed to take the win himself if it comes to it.
  • timothyw
    Duplicate, deleted...